OT: Austrailian Lives Matter too

thc6795

10 minutes ago, LOSer said:

No because you are completely silent on this issue.

It goes without saying that I look at the whole situation too. If you look at the whole situation and don't believe that unarmed black men are disproportionally being shot because they're perceived to be more dangerous than you have a problem.

So is the prescription true or false? Are black men more dangerous hence the perception that they are? 

Guest LOSer
Just now, ron169 said:

So is the prescription true or false? Are black men more dangerous hence the perception that they are? 

Not unarmed ones.

Even if the grammar of your question was correct, do you think police should be so panicked that they shoot any black man who they come into contact with?

This silliness needs to stop.

Just admit that we have a problem and then we can attempt to address it.

4 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Not unarmed ones.

Even if the grammar of your question was correct, do you think police should be so panicked that they shoot any black man who they come into contact with?

This silliness needs to stop.

Just admit that we have a problem and then we can attempt to address it.

Well considering the fact that there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of interactions between unarmed black males and police everyday, it's hard to say that cops just shoot any black man they come in contact with. I believe there are less than 500 total officer involved shootings per year where the other party dies, a little over one per day. Your supposition that it is open season is a little far reaching. 

Btw, way to completely avoid answering the question about the perception being true or false.

And yes, I'll admit three is a problem with some shootings, but I look at each on a case by case basis. Refer to my earlier post about scared cops that shouldn't be cops.

• Like 4

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, ron169 said:

I believe there are less than 500 total officer involved shootings per year where the other party dies, a little over one per day. Your supposition that it is open season is a little far reaching. 

In some Western countries there are zero.

So more than one person is shot and killed by a cop every day and that's a good sign?

As I said you're part of the problem and your perspective is skewed.

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, ron169 said:

Btw, way to completely avoid answering the question about the perception being true or false.

I didn't avoid it.

I questioned the grammar of your question.

You're basically trying to backdoor your way to racial profiling.

1 hour ago, LOSer said:

So more than one person is shot and killed by a cop every day and that's a good sign?

Those same western countries do not have our populace, problems, geography, laws, etc. So it's kind of hard to draw a comparison. Which western county possesses a Chicago style gang problem and has zero police shootings? 

I never said it was a good sign, merely pointing out that your ascertation that it's an open season on black people is far from true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOSer said:

I didn't avoid it.

I questioned the grammar of your question.

You're basically trying to backdoor your way to racial profiling.

So you use statistics to say that black people are disproportionately killed by law enforcement and I counter with statistics from the same source (the FBI) to maybe explain why and your counter is I'm back-dooring my way into profiling? Profiling is nothing more than applied statistics.

Guest LOSer
3 minutes ago, ron169 said:

Those same western countries do not have our populace, problems, geography, laws, etc. So it's kind of hard to draw a comparison.

I'd say "problem"' covers what I intended to say very well.

We have a gun problem and a cultural problem that other countries don't have.

And what does geography have to do with police shootings?

Very strange.

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, ron169 said:

Which western county possesses a Chicago style gang problem and has zero police shootings? 

But what does gang violence have to do with police shootings?

Gang violence in Chicago is responsible for a lot of homicides. Not police shootings.

Guest LOSer
6 minutes ago, ron169 said:

I never said it was a good sign, merely pointing out that your ascertation that it's an open season on black people is far from true.

I never said that.

Try again.

Guest LOSer
3 minutes ago, ron169 said:

So you use statistics to say that black people are disproportionately killed by law enforcement and I counter with statistics from the same source (the FBI) to maybe explain why and your counter is I'm back-dooring my way into profiling? Profiling is nothing more than applied statistics.

I didn't use any statistics and neither did you.

Are you reading the same thread that I am?

And profiling, when done correctly, is a useful tool in solving crimes. Done incorrectly, however, it discriminates against law-abiding citizens.

Your rhetorical question was an example of the latter.

Guest LOSer
2 hours ago, ron169 said:

I believe there are less than 500 total officer involved shootings per year where the other party dies, a little over one per day. Your supposition that it is open season is a little far reaching.

I looked this up and it's not true.

You are undoubtedly using the FBI number which is the number of justifiable police homicides. Many organizations like the Washington Post and others have tried to fill the gaps.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-many-americans-do-cops-kill-each-year-480712

Fatal Encounters’ data from earlier years is admittedly incomplete, but they have so far collected more than 14,000 records of people killed in interactions with police from January 2000 through June 2016. From 2000-2014, FE records at least 12,137 people killed by police, compared to just 5,830 reported to the FBI by police over the same period — and they estimate their records are only about 60 percent complete so far.

So that's 16.5 years.

Divide 12,137 by 17 and the number is 714 per year.

And that's probably being conservative.

Our cops kill a lot of people. The only other countries that are close are likely dictatorial regimes who purposefully kill dissidents.

Guest LOSer
Just now, ron169 said:

The best place for crime statistics in the US is the FBI. Do I need to go on our have I made my point? 

Look above.

At least on this topic, I proved that's not true.

Guest LOSer
7 minutes ago, ron169 said:

You stated that black males are disproportionately killed by police. So you either made that statement up, or you derived it from statistics.

I did say that but I didn't provide any statistics.

And neither did you to refute it.

It's almost certainly true based on population, demographics, etc.

I could look it up if you want. Lord knows I'll be debunking most of the things you say.

Guest LOSer
4 minutes ago, ron169 said:

Looking at the chart, everything was pretty stagnant, then the economy crashed in 08/09. Btw, I can't speak for your neck of the woods, but in mine, we definitely saw an trick in crime when the economy crashed.

That's called an outlier.

The trends are unmistakable.

Decades long.

1 hour ago, LOSer said:

Those western countries police forces don't have to deal with the amount of drug addicts, criminals and scum that we have in United States either... 

Guest LOSer
2 minutes ago, ron169 said:

I am glad that your saying crime is at an all time low, guess police doing something right.

The people who think crime is up are those like noloebull and others who want to scare people into thinking that all of these police shootings are needed.

Crime is down for a number of reasons. More cops on the streets may be one of them but more police-involved shootings is not.

Do you think the police-involved shootings over the last few years caused more crime/violence or deterred it?

Guest LOSer
1 minute ago, NorCalRuss said:

Those western countries police forces don't have to deal with the amount of drug addicts, criminals and scum that we have in United States either... 

Again, you're not saying anything here.

That's my point.

We've got a problem. And police shooting civilians won't solve it.

And why would we be shooting drug addicts?

Guest LOSer
2 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Also, our police kill unarmed people standing on street corners. Unarmed people standing next to stranded vehicles. Unarmed women in an alley. Unarmed people walking down the street. Unarmed men sitting in their cars.

The amount of excuse-making made for this is astounding.

Just now, LOSer said:

Again, you're not saying anything here.

That's my point.

We've got a problem. And police shooting civilians won't solve it.

And why would we be shooting drug addicts?

You may not know this, but drug addicts do stupid shit. The other day I met a meth head that was having a picnic on her grandfathers grave in the rain, while listening to music, reading a bible, smoking a cigarette, and eating peanut butter... Simultaneously. Not a big leap from that to attacking a cop, pulling a gun on a store clerk etc.