How a population shift helped Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, Lancaster and the Mansfield ISD become a football gold mine

Obviously not at the scale of the I-20 corridor, but I've been saying this about the Delta area in the NCS. People are getting pushed out of the City (SF), Oakland and surrounding areas. With the Delta serving as a lower cost of living and the added benefit of public transportation being improved and expanded to serve those areas, you are seeing population and talent increases in those areas. I expect this trend to continue and schools like Freedom, Antioch, Deer Valley and Pittsburg being the beneficiaries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

91-43

The combined score that BG/IMG beat DS/CH. Gonna need a bigger population shift than that to compete with the power privates ;)

This population is still represented by about a dozen or so schools with transfer restrictions.  If texas took off the gloves (unrestricted transfers) on this policy, BG and IMG would not pose much of a problem IMO.  Texas could easily create super public schools if they wanted, not hard really

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

91-43

The combined score that BG/IMG beat DS/CH. Gonna need a bigger population shift than that to compete with the power privates ;)

I'll put our neighborhood schools up against those recruiting factories any day.... hell I'll even take CH over BG at this point in the season

plus Desoto had an off year....after IMG, they lost 5 more games to neighborhood schools..at least one was worse than the IMG loss.

even still... the point of the article was the talent in those neighborhoods.... Nevada has nothing even remotely close to it... and Florida, while close, is not the same for we are only including South DALLAS..lol

On 12/3/2016 at 2:34 PM, TheRealCAJ said:

It doesn't hurt Desoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster and Duncanville are the only  high schools in their cities. (40,000-50,000 cities)

The combined population of those 4 TX cities is over 170,000.

Monroe, La is the same size as Desoto, but has 4 or 5 high schools. 9_9

Desoto and CH are small schools in 6A... as compared to many other DFW school. Just over 2000. Lancaster is 5A, even smaller always Division II. Desoto is like #40 or 50 on the list as far as enrolment size. Duncanville pushing probably 3500 for years but have just recently made a good playoff run. And I can't recall a time when they have ever given Desoto or CH a good run for their money. Something changed this year. But if you look around the suburbs there are may schools in the same situation and twice as large as  Cedar Hill and Desoto. Allen, Flower Mound, Mckinney, Coppell, Arlington Bowie, Lamar and Martin, All Plano schools, Rowlett, GP, 3 Mesquite Schools, Garland Lakeview, ET all these schools are bigger than CH,Desoto and Lancaster. Even the cities with 2-3 schools, they all are bigger. Its no excuse for them, we should see more than Allen competing. 

Edited by E Lewis
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2016 at 0:53 PM, PrepGridiron said:

Obviously not at the scale of the I-20 corridor, but I've been saying this about the Delta area in the NCS. People are getting pushed out of the City (SF), Oakland and surrounding areas. With the Delta serving as a lower cost of living and the added benefit of public transportation being improved and expanded to serve those areas, you are seeing population and talent increases in those areas. I expect this trend to continue and schools like Freedom, Antioch, Deer Valley and Pittsburg being the beneficiaries. 

True it is growing. But you are also seeing people bail out of the hwy. 4 corridor as well! Two guys I work with just moved out of Antioch and Brentwood. Said those places are changing for the worst and both grew up there. Crime has gone through the roof, traffic is way up and not the best weather in the Bay Area. Both said they didn't want to raise there kids there and it has changed a ton (i.e. not the kid friendly open places it used to be). Just going on what I was told by two longtime east CoCo kids.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/05/26/years-of-growing-crime-weigh-on-antioch-residents/