OT: A Big Blow to the Social Justice Warriors

paladin4ever

34 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

Great ruling!

The government should not be able to effectively censor someone. That's actually a win for everyone there.

If the Native American groups want to get the Redskins to change their name, they need to go about it economically anyway. The best way to get action on something such as this is to hit 'em in the pocket book, considering you can garner enough support to do so of course. 

I feel Washington should only consider changing their name if the people who want it changed pay for all the changes. 

Pay for new colors and logos all around the stadium. All promotional and advertising  merchandise around the city. 

All the money they get from clothes and other likeness that is currently in circulation around the country on websites and in stores. 

And then when does it stop? What if someone is offended by bulldogs because killed a family member? Will the New York Giants have to change their name because it offends midgets? 

Thats the problem with Social Justice trash in general. There never satisfied and want change no matter the incovenience. And it brings out all the mental cases that want to cry and complain 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Do any of you know any Indians?  If so, what did they say about the Redskins name?  Does it matter to you what they say?  

I know plenty of Native Americans in Az and all of them said they could care less about the Redskins name. 

4 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

I know plenty of Native Americans in Az and all of them said they could care less about the Redskins name. 

Because the generation that cared is mostly gone or elderly. 

I actually remember talking to someone about 3 years ago about the whole redskins thing. 

And his response was"Why care now? When the people who wanted it changed spoke up and voiced their opinion they had their voices muffled out. But now everyone wants to pretend it matters just so they have something to complain about. If you didnt care back then why do you care now." And much like I said in my statement before."The generation that cared is either gone,elderly or gave up none of the newer generations really give a damn". 

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Great ruling!

The government should not be able to effectively censor someone. That's actually a win for everyone there.

If the Native American groups want to get the Redskins to change their name, they need to go about it economically anyway. The best way to get action on something such as this is to hit 'em in the pocket book, considering you can garner enough support to do so of course. 

The fact that this ended up in the USSC is a testament to the legal idiocy that exists in our lower courts.

30 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The fact that this ended up in the USSC is a testament to the legal idiocy that exists in our lower courts.

Didn't an appeals court already rule against the Native American groups, who then took it to the Supreme Court though? Pretty sure the Federal Appeals court already said the law barring offensive trademarks was unconstitutional. It needed to go to SCOTUS to be affirmed. 

I would doubt it - if an appeals court reversed it and the court was 8-0 in support, I don't think they hear the case - just deny the appeal.  And since it was a single case - should not be a 2 different appeals court opinions situation.

Edit:  You are right, the appeals court did side with the band.  I guess the SC wanted no doubt about their stance - and will make clear what the appeals court needs to do with the Redskins case.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I would doubt it - if an appeals court reversed it and the court was 8-0 in support, I don't think they hear the case - just deny the appeal.  And since it was a single case - should not be a 2 different appeals court opinions situation.

Edit:  You are right, the appeals court did side with the band.  I guess the SC wanted no doubt about their stance - and will make clear what the appeals court needs to do with the Redskins case.

I think the Redskins case is done on this decision. The law is stricken down by the SCOTUS as unconstitutional and now it's no holds barred on trade marking names. It will fall back to the will of the consumer now as to what is acceptable to them. In the end it's all about economic viability for the entity seeking the trade mark anyway. 

Like I mentioned before, now the ball is back in the Native American's court on the Redskins name. They should develop a coalition of people enough so as to cause enough economic pressure/ hit them in the profit margin hard enough that they are forced to reconsider their own stance without the courts or government needing to be involved.