Texas HS Football over Christmas.

DevilDog

DeSoto Cancels Holiday Parade For Football Game

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/11/29/desoto-cancels-holiday-parade-for-football-playoff-game/

“This is football country,” said Maurice Bonner, a DeSoto Eagles fan. “So, we live and eat and drink football and basketball around here. So we should go to the game.”

Just call it the best of small town Texas, where football fever is both welcomed and encouraged.

“You have to be here to feel it. You can’t explain it,” said Galvin, of his “community sticking together, backing the kids and giving them the support they need.”

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Isn't Desoto a suburb of Dallas, right in the midst of about 6 or 7 million people?

Technically it is a southern Suburb, but here people in the Suburbs are fiercely independent.  No one in Allen claims they live in Dallas, etc.    Desoto does have a small town community feel to it as well as most of the outlying suburbs.  McKinney as well.  Just close enough to the Behemoth of Dallas but still maintain your own identity.  If that is the case Rockwall would be more of a part of the city along with Garland and Mesquite than Desoto or Cedar Hill.

• Like 1

it is called the NEW BLACK WALL STREET:  No different then the neighborhood I live in Collin County.  Of the 8 people in my office 4 live in Desoto including my Pakistani Boss. A lot of my friends are leaving Collin County and moving to this beautiful suburb.  Dallas is not feeding Desoto Football players.  People that used to live in South Dallas and went to SOC, Kimball, and Carter.  Now live in Desoto.  Families move as they progress.

Those of us that live here know about Desoto:  The nation is feeding Desoto from an African American Perspective.  It is the go to city.

Additionally, the fact that the community contains many affluent Black residents is something else that has attracted many to the neighborhood. The Black population in DeSoto accounts for 68 percent of its inhabitants, way above the Black population in Dallas or Fort Worth.

“It’s a really nice bedroom community where you see a lot of successful people who live here and, demographically, there are a lot of African-Americans,” the Clayton couple maintained.

“Since 2000-2010, there’s been a large migration of African-Americans to North Texas,” Sherman said. “In fact, we’re the leading [community] second only to Atlanta for the migration from north to south. And many of those have chosen to live in the city of DeSoto because of the caliber of the citizens that we have here.”

The majority of the residents (91 percent) live above the poverty line, with the median income in 2013 being $60,945. 9_9

In terms of business, the U.S. Census revealed that 55.3 percent of businesses in the community are owned by Black people.

Dieon Sanders left Collin County and moved here as wells as Dez Bryant.

Just information for those that have no idea about Desoto and Cedar Hill.   Nice place to live for sure.

• Like 2

Image result for 1240 high bluff 75115

After living in North Dallas for over 10 years, I was yearning to get back to South Dallas. Growing up in Oak Cliff, I just felt like I was missing something.

Despite the commute, we bought this home in Desoto back in 2011... and I could not be happier.

A lot of people didnt realize places like Desoto exist in North Texas