Walking around a California High School in 1986

BobbySanchez

Right in my wheel house graduated 88'! Mullets, pegged acid washed jeans (Guess etc.), neon colored shirts, vans and top siders. Anything from The Cure, Janet Jackson to Motley Crue on the radio. Hell my first job was in 86'....at a video store, something my kids have no idea what that is lol!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Right in my wheel house graduated 88'! Mullets, pegged acid washed jeans (Guess etc.), neon colored shirts, vans and top siders. Anything from The Cure, Janet Jackson to Motley Crue on the radio. Hell my first job was in 86'....at a video store, something my kids have no idea what that is lol!

Kind of in my wheelhouse too. I was thinking after watching the first few minutes that, where I went to school, kids didn't have to wear wigs to look like those two guys... 

xD

• Like 1

Well, here goes everything:  I would relate to these "kids" parents.  A couple that my wife and I are really close to (with them before and after our wedding-his boat was docked in Marina Del Rey) grew up in San Bernadino in the early '60's.  She was a dancer on a rock and roll television show in L. A. (Wink Martindale on KHJ from Pacific Ocean Park on weekday afternoons) and he was the smartest man in their high school.  He defined intelligence as never losing a drag race.  (!)

Later he conceived and built the 417' tall 100+ mph Superman ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

My wife and I grew up in the D. C. suburbs.  We have been extremely fortunate in our lives but if I could have grown up anywhere it would have been in Southern California in the early '60's.

For my close friend, Jim Blackie, who passed away recently.  A native Californian whose kids are the age of many who post on here.

Somewhere...he is still winning drag races.  And building roller coasters.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

She was a dancer on a rock and roll television show in L. A. (Wink Martindale on KHJ from Pacific Ocean Park on weekday afternoons)

KHJ was the #1 Rock and roll station in the 60's. Good job pulling that one out!!

What were some of the big So Cal High School games you attended back in the day?  I know you mentioned a few, which qualifies you as a relevant poster on So Cal football

16 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

KHJ was the #1 Rock and roll station in the 60's. Good job pulling that one out!!

What were some of the big So Cal High School games you attended back in the day?  I know you mentioned a few, which qualifies you as a relevant poster on So Cal football

I didn't start following SoCal ball until the early '90's alhough I saw the game between moeller and servite (Steve Beurlein) in 1982 at Kings Island in Ohio..  I've seen Mater Dei play five or six times over the years and a couple of times that De La Salle played in the Southland.  Generally, because I travelled so much for so long (started in early '80's) that if I was out of town on Friday night I would see a local hs team play if it sounded like a good game.  Or, if I was overseas I would see a soccer game if it was on Saturday.  Football (of either type) kept me out of trouble and I met some really interesting people.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, Cossacks said:

A video store,The Cure?,dear god....  How old are you? 

Just now, World Citizen said:

That's kind of interesting how we guess at stuff like that Or think a particular way about other posters.  

Posters I thought where old:

Nor

Cossacks 

Blackhatter 

Caj 

Steeler

BigDrop 

Jimbo

Rufus 

Hawg

Young Posters:

Camcat