Problems with playing football in the spring

Ga96

There are definitely problems with a spring season. This is why those of us with common sense say just skip it. 

Continue to practice and improve in your semi-bubbles. Create hudl film from intrasquad scrimmages and practices to send out to the recruiters. Maybe even do some regional 7v7s if you feel safe enough to do that. 

The way it is right now for instance, some Ga.  school systems have postponed fall contact sports until the spring, but, if no other schools do that, then, who are they going to play? 

Again, it's why common sense says just to skip the season. We've already lost OTAs, 7v7 season, spring training and summer workouts basically. Right now we should be in intersquad scrimmages but we are doing intrasquad and basically just now doing all the stuff we normally see in spring being done because we missed all that time. 

We are going to be playing a start and stop season as teams have positive tests and shutter for 14 days killing games for two teams over the period of those days. That might happen over and over throughout the season. 

A lot of risk of kids taking covid home to their families for a messy start and stop season with however many games your team gets lucky to have. 

It just doesn't make a lot of sense no matter how much we want it to. We want normalcy but we aren't in normal times. 

If we don't get a uniform protocol on how to deal with positive cases, like, as we have seen, the protocol for Lee and Tift County was to shutter for 2 weeks, but, others like the Valdosta jv tried to continue until public uproar so now they've squashed that season altogether.

Will teams try to hide positive cases and play anyway? Will they introduce positive players to the field against unknowing opponents?

There is a lot of stuff to think about here. How would anyone know who has positive cases on the team playing daily? Are they testing the kids regularly? Who is paying for the tests? Etc. Etc. Etc. 

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There are definitely problems with a spring season. This is why those of us with common sense say just skip it. 

Continue to practice and improve in your semi-bubbles. Create hudl film from intrasquad scrimmages and practices to send out to the recruiters. Maybe even do some regional 7v7s if you feel safe enough to do that. 

The way it is right now for instance, some Ga.  school systems have postponed fall contact sports until the spring, but, if no other schools do that, then, who are they going to play? 

Again, it's why common sense says just to skip the season. We've already lost OTAs, 7v7 season, spring training and summer workouts basically. Right now we should be in intersquad scrimmages but we are doing intrasquad and basically just now doing all the stuff we normally see in spring being done because we missed all that time. 

We are going to be playing a start and stop season as teams have positive tests and shutter for 14 days killing games for two teams over the period of those days. That might happen over and over throughout the season. 

A lot of risk of kids taking covid home to their families for a messy start and stop season with however many games your team gets lucky to have. 

It just doesn't make a lot of sense no matter how much we want it to. We want normalcy but we aren't in normal times. 

Ghsa says along as kids are on campus there will be football. They must have had another silent meeting today because I got a text from a coach saying the season is still on. Im just worried about high school kids playing for scholarships and college kids playing to get drafted.

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If we don't get a uniform protocol on how to deal with positive cases, like, as we have seen, the protocol for Lee and Tift County was to shutter for 2 weeks, but, others like the Valdosta jv tried to continue until public uproar so now they've squashed that season altogether.

Will teams try to hide positive cases and play anyway? Will they introduce positive players to the field against unknowing opponents?

There is a lot of stuff to think about here. How would anyone know who has positive cases on the team playing daily? Are they testing the kids regularly? Who is paying for the tests? Etc. Etc. Etc. 

The text I got today for Lowndes kids is if they don't feel good they need to tell the coach not come to practice and get tested. I trust coach Pieplow when it comes to the health of all players at lowndes.

1 hour ago, Ga96 said:

The text I got today for Lowndes kids is if they don't feel good they need to tell the coach not come to practice and get tested. I trust coach Pieplow when it comes to the health of all players at lowndes.

I'd guess most folks trust their own coach will do the right things... What about the other coaches that your team will be facing? 

Many think we can't trust some of these schools/coaches/ADs to do the right thing pertaining to transfers and that honor system, but, we expect they're gonna be honorable as it pertains to this? 

Coach Pieplow can't do much to protect your boys from the other coaches y'all will face as it pertains to covid-19. 

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'd guess most folks trust their own coach will do the right things... What about the other coaches that your team will be facing? 

Many think we can't trust some of these schools/coaches/ADs to do the right thing pertaining to transfers and that honor system, but, we expect they're gonna be honorable as it pertains to this? 

Coach Pieplow can't do much to protect your boys from the other coaches y'all will face as it pertains to covid-19. 

Mandatory COVID-19 testing of all players and coaches night before each game, 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Mandatory COVID-19 testing of all players and coaches night before each game, 

That'd be the only way I'd trust the opposition coaches to do what's right. 60 bucks per kid per game gets expensive pretty quickly though. Assuming we're talking the quick test, which we must be due to time constraints. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That'd be the only way I'd trust the opposition coaches to do what's right. 60 bucks per kid per game gets expensive pretty quickly though. Assuming we're talking the quick test, which we must be due to time constraints. 

Yep unless your biff pogi I don’t know how you can afford that many Covid-19 tests when your already limiting games played and seating capacity of games, 

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Yep unless your biff pogi I don’t know how you can afford that many Covid-19 tests when your already limiting games played and seating capacity of games, 

Let those that claim it safe to put up the money. The organizations that are in control, like the GHSA and etc. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That's what's shut down the European seasons everywhere but Finland and Denmark despite very few positive tests in Europe right now. German and Austrian governments say for contact sports like football the only safe way to proceed is to test everyone prior to the start of preseason practices and then test weekly in season. Their tests are slightly cheaper but it's still the equivalent of $45 per test. With no fans in the stands and no concession revenue and limited sponsorship money it's just not economical.

The Italians are going to try to give HS-aged football a go with practices starting on 9/1 so we'll see how it goes. They haven't set schedules or a championship date yet so it's all very open ended. They also haven't been back to school since March so we'll see how the cases are when they reopen the schools in September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

True that would have to hope the other coaches are mature adults