Valdosta picks up key QB transfer from So Cal

Sammyswordsman

47 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

St Joes is going thru same thing . We got a Sr transfer  but also have a senior that was waited his turn for 4 years for the QB position, then we have a sophomore QB who’s the clear cut best QB In NJ and eventual top 15 in nation, they all have cases on why they should be Qb, Id be a miracle if all QBs are on team by December, the coach’s are gonna try to work something out

@FootballGuy who’s all the QBs from Valdosta and their year of graduation?

Mike Miller (6'1 220 lbs./Class of 2022) He's the one who's been in the system the longest and whose  mother is questioning everything. He's very athletic and can throw dat thang! Lol. Very little game experience tho.

Amari Jones (the transfer from.....Carver HS in atlanta. Class of 2022. Has a smaller frame but he throws a nice spiral. All his passes has zip on them. About 6'2 in height. 

Jake Garcia (the recent transfer from the golden state/5 star/class of 2021)

And there's one other QB that I don't know anything about.

So Rush definitely has options at quarterback. It's all about who can run his system to a T at this point. 

Who do you think should start for St. Joes? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They're gonna toss the kid that's been coming through the system aside for the five star bro. Then the younger kids coming through are gonna see that. Once it happens again next year or the the next couple of years, your qbs in your system are likely to quit or not give a shit. 

Eventually it catches up to you. 

In the short term, with a short sighted view of everything, by all means, start the new kid that came in as a hired gun and stole the kid that has worked through the systems spot. In the long term, you're gonna pay for it in participation decline. 

If you were a head coach, what would you do? Play the guy who's been there the longest or play the best guy? 

On 8/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, Cossacks said:

That’s a huge leap of faith right there. Every once in a great while you will get the late bloomer or feel good story of the kid who didn’t start in HS and kept going and made it. Bit let’s talk reality. But if I was that second string QB, I’d look at the #1 QB and use that as motivation and work my ass off not leave to go somewhere else.

That is the precise mentality to take. 

Just because you're not starting does not mean the recruiters will not show up to the games. Refine your skills and techniques.  They will see you during warm-ups and garbage time. If you have what it takes, you will be recruited.  Of you don't have what it takes, you can be a varsity starter your entire hs career and pick up a scholarship. 

39 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They're gonna toss the kid that's been coming through the system aside for the five star bro. Then the younger kids coming through are gonna see that. Once it happens again next year or the the next couple of years, your qbs in your system are likely to quit or not give a shit. 

Eventually it catches up to you. 

In the short term, with a short sighted view of everything, by all means, start the new kid that came in as a hired gun and stole the kid that has worked through the systems spot. In the long term, you're gonna pay for it in participation decline. 

While I agree 💯 with you, we both know the “rush caint do no wrong” folks are gonna justify the hell out of it. 

Slippery slope, but there are no guarantees in football. I get the “win today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow” mentality. Doesn’t mean it’s right, but I get it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

The guy that operates the system the best should play. Period. In college, coaches are constantly bringing in guys to take your spot. Rush didn’t make this one happen to have Garcia sit on the bench. There are only a handful of quarterbacks better than Garcia in the country and whoever the other guy is at Valdosta is not one of them. I understand the kid has put in the work but it makes no sense to keep the better player on the bench. Can’t keep that type of talent on the sideline, not fair to other players on the team that want to win.  How I feel about the Mac jones Bryce Young situation too. 

Also, this is his first year coaching at Valdosta. Not like he’s been prepping the other kid for 3 years

Now this is very true. As long as he's been getting a fair shake, then it's all good. Now if the new guy comes in and does everything he needs to do and does it better than the guy who's been there, then you gotta roll with the guy who gives you the best chance to win. Now I will say this: the new kid is about to deal with a whole new level of physicality, so if he can't deal with that, then I don't think this arrangement will work for him. 

2 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

If you were a head coach, what would you do? Play the guy who's been there the longest or play the best guy? 

Depends on whether I intend on managing a public school program in Georgia for a long time or just win now and burn out. 

I guess like @Sweetlarry pointed out about the worry about today first mentality. For Rush, his age and career length at this point, it may be the right thing. I don't deny the value in the short term at all. 

Loyalty is something that is almost a myth these days. Once you teach the loyal kids coming through that their loyalty didn't mean shit, then, it will really be a myth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

St Joes is going thru same thing . We got a Sr transfer  but also have a senior that was waited his turn for 4 years for the QB position, then we have a sophomore QB who’s the clear cut best QB In NJ and eventual top 15 in nation, they all have cases on why they should be Qb, Id be a miracle if all QBs are on team by December, the coach’s are gonna try to work something out

@FootballGuy who’s all the QBs from Valdosta and their year of graduation?

22 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

So Rush definitely has options at quarterback. It's all about who can run his system to a T at this point. 

Our freshman who’s going to be sophomore is our chosen one ☝️Hopefully all American,  so if you split time with the two SR QBs who both got D1 scholarships and Ivy League offers then you risk the sophomore leaving and transferring out and now you don’t have a stud QB for the next few years.

i have no clue what’s going to happen, Mucci is like Julian edlman so you can play him at slot wr  and on trick plays,  the other senior is a pure QB and the sophomore QB can play some defense, it’ll be interesting to see what coach could pull off and make all the players and fathers happy

I’ll tell you what, the competition is bringing the best out of all them, since they all wanna be that #1 QB

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Depends on whether I intend on managing a public school program in Georgia for a long time or just win now and burn out. 

I guess like @Sweetlarry pointed out about the worry about today first mentality. For Rush, his age and career length at this point, it may be the right thing. I don't deny the value in the short term at all. 

Loyalty is something that is almost a myth these days. Once you teach the loyal kids coming through that their loyalty didn't mean shit, then, it will really be a myth. 

Well... would you just go for the "win now" method and burn out or settle for long term success (if you were a head coach)? 

We know the man (Rush) is in a tough spot (considering the school he's at), so he HAS to win now. So I think loyalty kinda goes out the window, sadly. Bazemore and Hyder set the bar so damn high to the point where coaches will be fired if they don't win at Valdosta, so he's in a predicament where he has to focus on short term success. 

55 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Mike Miller (6'1 220 lbs./Class of 2022) He's the one who's been in the system the longest and whose  mother is questioning everything. He's very athletic and can throw dat thang! Lol. Very little game experience tho.

Amari Jones (the transfer from.....Carver HS in atlanta. Class of 2022. Has a smaller frame but he throws a nice spiral. All his passes has zip on them. About 6'2 in height. 

Jake Garcia (the recent transfer from the golden state/5 star/class of 2021)

And there's one other QB that I don't know anything about.

Since jakes a senior and 5 stars , put  Amari somewhere on offense or defense. 

if mikes mom is complaining now wait till next year when rush brings in another 5 star QB

remeber Newtons Law

What ever transfers in must transfer out 

with additions you get subtractions 

24 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Since jakes a senior and 5 stars , put  Amari somewhere on offense or defense. 

if mikes mom is complaining now wait till next year when rush brings in another 5 star QB

remeber Newtons Law

What ever transfers in must transfer out 

with additions you get subtractions 

Mike is athletic enough to play fullback and tight end. Amari should probably stay at quarterback tho. I think Rush & company are pretty set at quarterback for the next few seasons. 

44 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I'm assuming you think cali ball is more physical than georbia ball? If so, then you need your football card revoked. 

I don’t think anyone’s football is more physical than anybody else and those that do are the ones who need revoking

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I'm assuming you think cali ball is more physical than georbia ball? If so, then you need your football card revoked. 

Back in 2009, when North Gwinnett played Crenshaw, Crenshaw lost because they couldn't handle the heat and players were cramping up. DeAnthony Thomas went down because of the heat and so did many other players, and North Gwinnett won 17-12 against a top 15 Crenshaw team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Back in 2009, when North Gwinnett played Crenshaw, Crenshaw lost because they couldn't handle the heat and players were cramping up. DeAnthony Thomas went down because of the heat and so did many other players, and North Gwinnett won 17-12 against a top 15 Crenshaw team.

Cali dry heat and Georgia fire heat from hell are 2 different things... 

I can take dry heat a little better and I've lived in Georgia 75% of my life so far... And living in Savannah the humidity is still hard to adjust to it feels like being cooked in your own skin... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Cali dry heat and Georgia fire heat from hell are 2 different things... 

I can take dry heat a little better and I've lived in Georgia 75% of my life so far... And living in Savannah the humidity is still hard to adjust to it feels like being cooked in your own skin... 

Very accurate. Tan lines are insane if you're outside too much as well. 

35 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Which has nothing to do with physicality and Crenshaw was not a top 15 team either 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Truth but not sure how this applies to the physicality claim. Fatigued because of weather and being soft are two different things. The southeast will always have the weather advantage when west coast teams travel there. Saying kids are more physical in one area than another is silly. If we asked IMG who was more physical Mater Dei or Grayson we all know what that answer would be. Garcia will do just fine. If he can’t handle Georgia hsfb he sure as hell cant play for USC/Miami on Saturdays.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Truth but not sure how this applies to the physicality claim. Fatigued because of weather and being soft are two different things. The southeast will always have the weather advantage when west coast teams travel there. Saying kids are more physical in one area than another is silly. If we asked IMG who was more physical Mater Dei or Grayson we all know what that answer would be. Garcia will do just fine. If he can’t handle Georgia hsfb he sure as hell cant play for USC/Miami on Saturdays.  

I wasn't really trying to prove the physicality point. I just thought that it would be a cool fact to share, considering California is notorious for its high temperatures. 

43 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Ranked by who ? 

All I know is that during the game, it said "13 Crenshaw" versus "36 North Gwinnett". It was an ESPN televised game and had the same format as a college football game, so I know that the number before the team meant their rank.