Valdosta picks up key QB transfer from So Cal

Sammyswordsman

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Some of this type stuff is also an issue. If both of those qbs had come up through the Valdosta system. I can see the argument about best vs. best and Yada Yada, but, both of these qbs moved there this friggen year right? So, now what about the local kids that were working through the system as qb. Etc 

It's a snowball. Eventually it leads to reduced participation. It's a culture change in the sport where kids get beat for the spot at one school and they move to another and another and another until they displace someone that has been coming through the ranks. 

It makes for a few great teams and a lot of not so much, and then interest and support starts waning. Then you have Jersey in Georgia. Some are excited about the short term but, I'm fearful for the long term health of the sport. 

I'm a fan of seeing how players develop. For example, Tyler Goodson (North Gwinnett's former RB) was much different in 2016 as he was in 2018. His development picked up greatly in 2017, as he led that championship team in rushing. In 2018, he even threw a 40 yard pass as a RB on ESPN (against Walton). To me, it sucks seeing a player with a lot of potential working his way up, just to see his spot taken by a transfer. 

Oh god, @imaGoodBoyNow down here? Someone save me!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I'm a fan of seeing how players develop. For example, Tyler Goodson (North Gwinnett's former RB) was much different in 2016 as he was in 2018. His development picked up greatly in 2017, as he led that championship team in rushing. In 2018, he even threw a 40 yard pass as a RB on ESPN (against Walton). To me, it sucks seeing a player with a lot of potential working his way up, just to see his spot taken by a transfer. 

Oh god, @imaGoodBoyNow down here? Someone save me!

Don't be scared of that bird legged nerd. xD He skipped too many "leg days" at the gym. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Some of this type stuff is also an issue. If both of those qbs had come up through the Valdosta system. I can see the argument about best vs. best and Yada Yada, but, both of these qbs moved there this friggen year right? So, now what about the local kids that were working through the system as qb. Etc 

It's a snowball. Eventually it leads to reduced participation. It's a culture change in the sport where kids get beat for the spot at one school and they move to another and another and another until they displace someone that has been coming through the ranks. 

It makes for a few great teams and a lot of not so much, and then interest and support starts waning. Then you have Jersey in Georgia. Some are excited about the short term but, I'm fearful for the long term health of the sport. 

The GHSA has allowed this to turn into a out of control transfer at will system.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ga96 said:

He says that's also a factor but doubt it. Valdosta was an F school when it came to academics a few years ago. State had to step in do a lot of firing and hiring. They've been on the up and up since then.

Well, he's coming from Narbonne, so maybe it is the academics?

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Correct, changing of times. Belue, Lastinger, Bond all SEC QBs at Valdosta. Each played other positions until there time. Sweetness and a lot of Metro do not understand this concept. Agree that this may eventually become a negative thing for the program. 

2 minutes ago, MTP28 said:

Correct, changing of times. Belue, Lastinger, Bond all SEC QBs at Valdosta. Each played other positions until there time. Sweetness and a lot of Metro do not understand this concept. Agree that this may eventually become a negative thing for the program. 

It will become a negative. Kids coming through will quit. Then, the snowball of kids talking and then others just don't come out for tryouts, then, eventually, you have to transfer players as an absolute necessity. 

It is what it is though. The "news cycle" makes it all an arms race instead of a celebration of what you have or have developed, now and days. 

3 hours ago, MTP28 said:

Buck Belue had the easiest job in college football history turn and hand it to #34.  

John Bond played at Miss state when they upset #1 Alabama 6-3 in 1980.

34 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Buck Belue had the easiest job in college football history turn and hand it to #34.  

Jake fromm was a poor mans buck belue, or vice versa. Jake’s freshman year and his “leading” the team to a national title game was honestly something a ton of average QBs could’ve accomplished. Handing the ball to Michel and Chubb couldn’t have been that tough. When he had to win a game he couldn’t.

Still chuckle some fans taking fromm over burrow and saying he was the better QB and leader. Good times. 

1 hour ago, Sweetlarry said:

Jake fromm was a poor mans buck belue, or vice versa. Jake’s freshman year and his “leading” the team to a national title game was honestly something a ton of average QBs could’ve accomplished. Handing the ball to Michel and Chubb couldn’t have been that tough. When he had to win a game he couldn’t.

Still chuckle some fans taking fromm over burrow and saying he was the better QB and leader. Good times. 

Fromm would have never seen the field at Alabama or LSU.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Most likely true. Buck was a starter at QB at 13 yo. also the first QB from Valdosta to lose to Lowndes

3 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Fromm would have never seen the field at Alabama or LSU.  

At Alabama? I can maybe see that...

But LSU? Come on now... Who did LSU have at QB before Burrow transferred in? If Fromm was at LSU from the beginning, how likely is it that Burrow even transfers there in the first place? He chose the Tigers because they didn't have anyone worth a shit on the roster at the time. Let's not act like Burrow played lights out from the start of his LSU tenure. While talented, it's obvious that Joe Brady had a huge impact on his performance and he had some very good WRs to boot.

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

At Alabama? I can maybe see that...

But LSU? Come on now... Who did LSU have at QB before Burrow transferred in? If Fromm was at LSU from the beginning, how likely is it that Burrow even transfers there in the first place? He chose the Tigers because they didn't have anyone worth a shit on the roster at the time. Let's not act like Burrow played lights out from the start of his LSU tenure. While talented, it's obvious that Joe Brady had a huge impact on his performance and he had some very good WRs to boot.

At some point Burrow beats him out. Fromm only got slightly better after his freshman year.  Only reason he played his freshman year was Eason got hurt.

Doubt Fromm as a freshman beats out returning starter Danny Etling at LSU. 

At Alabama he would have been behind Tua and Hurts. 

On 8/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Miami moves. He was a heavy lean to Miami before Bryce young decomitted from USC. The day after Bryce committed to Alabama Jake committed to USC. Miller moss recently committed to USC and could very well beat out Jake for the job at SC. Don’t be surprised to see a flip to Miami. Miami is much closer to him now and they’ve had  him at QB1 on the board from the jump. 

Yup miamis recruiting this past month has been insane. Theyre just missing a qb. Wont be surprised... ed reed and company$$$ doing magic

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texasvic said:

Yup miamis recruiting this past month has been insane. Theyre just missing a qb. Wont be surprised... ed reed and company$$$ doing magic

Doesn't Miami have Tate Martell right now? He was solid in high school, but he didn't get much playing time at OSU.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Doesn't Miami have Tate Martell right now? He was solid in high school, but he didn't get much playing time at OSU.

Wont even see the field unless its wildcat or crazy 2 qb formations, he hasnt lived up to the hype. D’eric king from houston transferred  there. He will be the starter, hes a stud

Just now, Texasvic said:

Wont even see the field unless its wildcat or crazy 2 qb formations. D’eric king from houston transferred  there. He will be the starter, hes a stud

Oh, I forgot about his transfer. He was very good at Houston, just as his predecessor Greg Ward was. 

• Like 1

Came across something on facebook that really had me thinking yesterday. The mother of one of the Valdosta quarterbacks asked what does it mean for her son now that the cali kid is transferring to valdosta and how they aren't showing any loyalty. Now true enough her son has been there longer and should be qb1 (for now until he's named the starter), but if this cali kid (proven 5 star QB) comes in and picks up Rush's system in a short amount of time and shows out, should he be named the starter over the guy who's been there longer with very little game experience? And why should loyalty play a factor when there's somebody better than you at that position?

4 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Came across something on facebook that really had me thinking yesterday. The mother of one of the Valdosta quarterbacks asked what does it mean for her son now that the cali kid is transferring to valdosta and how they aren't showing any loyalty. Now true enough her son has been there longer and should be qb1 (for now until he's named the starter), but if this cali kid (proven 5 star QB) comes in and picks up Rush's system in a short amount of time and shows out, should he be named the starter over the guy who's been there longer with very little game experience? And why should loyalty play a factor when there's somebody better than you at that position?

St Joes is going thru same thing . We got a Sr transfer  but also have a senior that was waited his turn for 4 years for the QB position, then we have a sophomore QB who’s the clear cut best QB In NJ and eventual top 15 in nation, they all have cases on why they should be Qb, Id be a miracle if all QBs are on team by December, the coach’s are gonna try to work something out

@FootballGuy who’s all the QBs from Valdosta and their year of graduation?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

They're gonna toss the kid that's been coming through the system aside for the five star bro. Then the younger kids coming through are gonna see that. Once it happens again next year or the the next couple of years, your qbs in your system are likely to quit or not give a shit. 

Eventually it catches up to you. 

In the short term, with a short sighted view of everything, by all means, start the new kid that came in as a hired gun and stole the kid that has worked through the systems spot. In the long term, you're gonna pay for it in participation decline. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

The guy that operates the system the best should play. Period. In college, coaches are constantly bringing in guys to take your spot. Rush didn’t make this one happen to have Garcia sit on the bench. There are only a handful of quarterbacks better than Garcia in the country and whoever the other guy is at Valdosta is not one of them. I understand the kid has put in the work but it makes no sense to keep the better player on the bench. Can’t keep that type of talent on the sideline, not fair to other players on the team that want to win.  How I feel about the Mac jones Bryce Young situation too. 

Also, this is his first year coaching at Valdosta. Not like he’s been prepping the other kid for 3 years. 

• Like 2