Valdosta picks up key QB transfer from So Cal

Sammyswordsman

20 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

How do Tiers work? Can someone help me out with that?

Only Sammy, me, and a select few others on this site truly understand how the Tiers work. Simply “explaining” how they work will not help you understand. It’s like falling into a black hole in space. You don’t “understand” until you cross its event horizon. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

Only Sammy, me, and a select few others on this site truly understand how the Tiers work. Simply “explaining” how they work will not help you understand. It’s like falling into a black hole in space. You don’t “understand” until you cross its event horizon. 

That probably confused me more than the actual explanation of the Tiers. I think I have a decent understanding of how it works now, and I actually agree with every team being placed where it is (as of last year). Sometimes, a "feeling" is all you need to rank a team.

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

‘Dosta and Grayson capitalizing in this area. I likey. 

If you remember ( check the archieves), before the BC-Grayson and Marietta-OLCG games, I said that the net effect of a BC and OLGC sweep, would open up the transfer gates, And that GHSA would look the other way. The super teams would be coming to Georgia, and the outcome of those games would likely expedite the process. Buckle up boys. Georgia's just getting warmed up.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

If you remember ( check the archieves), before the BC-Grayson and Marietta-OLCG games, I said that the net effect of a BC and OLGC sweep, would open up the transfer gates, And that GHSA would look the other way. The super teams would be coming to Georgia, and the outcome of those games would likely expedite the process. Buckle up boys. Georgia's just getting warmed up.

I hate superteams. I don't want to be like California or New Jersey or IMG Academy.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ngdawg said:

I hate superteams. I don't want to be like California or New Jersey or IMG Academy.

Don't worry. There will be plenty of good  neighborhood teams to pay attention too. But like I wrote when Propst was hired, he wasn't hired to beat just local teams. Valdosta isn't re-inventing the wheel. Bazemore, and to a lesser extent Hyder, used their city school loophole to great advantage. Although in fairness, Bazemore didn't have to. Georgia was open enrollment through the 1971-72 school year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They're recruiting far and wide now! The coach's first ever Valdosta tweet had to be taken down because it was so on the edge of legality of active athletic recruiting. 

All the way to SoCal for a qb. 

Cheating! 

xD

You know this isn't the first rodeo. Moody Air Force Base has long provided good cover. Valdosta's footprint shrunk after Bazemore, though Hyder had no issues "recruiting the county and general area," whatever he meant by general area.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

You know this isn't the first rodeo. Moody Air Force Base has long provided good cover. Valdosta's footprint shrunk after Bazemore, though Hyder had no issues "recruiting the county and general area," whatever he meant by general area.

"General area". I think the whole country is a general area, don't ya think?

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I feel like 6A this year is truthfully not gonna be that deep... 

We got: 

Valdosta

Buford 

Lee County 

Carrollton

Westlake... 

But that's about it... 

And Valdosta has Talent and a proven coach in Rush... 

Westlake has Talent.... That's it... 

Buford has Talent and a 2nd year coach who has proven himself as well... Bryan Appling was apart of the Original Jess Simpson staff which is why he's doing so well he reimplemented Jess's winning formula and it's working... 

Lee County isn't gonna be super sharp on talent this year but they play good team ball anyway and have a proven coach. 

Carrollton has Sean Calhoun... He was an assistant to Rush and he's been running the program like Rush ran  Colquitt... They are easily the 3rd biggest threat in 6A behind Valdosta and Buford... 

Uhhh... Lee County has quite a bit of d1 guys on their roster this year. Carrollton is loaded, but the loss of their quarterback might hurt them. Can't forget about Rome either. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I feel like 6A this year is truthfully not gonna be that deep... 

We got: 

Valdosta

Buford 

Lee County 

Carrollton

Westlake... 

But that's about it... 

And Valdosta has Talent and a proven coach in Rush... 

Westlake has Talent.... That's it... 

Buford has Talent and a 2nd year coach who has proven himself as well... Bryan Appling was apart of the Original Jess Simpson staff which is why he's doing so well he reimplemented Jess's winning formula and it's working... 

Lee County isn't gonna be super sharp on talent this year but they play good team ball anyway and have a proven coach. 

Carrollton has Sean Calhoun... He was an assistant to Rush and he's been running the program like Rush ran  Colquitt... They are easily the 3rd biggest threat in 6A behind Valdosta and Buford... 

Rome, Dacula definitely worth a mention, then you got the metro schools who cycle a good team every 4 years... don't know where Centennial and Chattahoochee are at on that spectrum, but definitely merit some attention, Riverwood also.

bgw

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

do you have a problem with WHERE these guys are transferring? Do you blame them for wanting to play for a legit contender? Or.....do you feel like these high profile guys should create balance and go to teams who really don't have a chance in hell to win state?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Colonel said:

Correct.  (Insiders tip tho) First you figure out a way to justify not placing the devil in a Tier and then you build from that.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

do you have a problem with WHERE these guys are transferring? Do you blame them for wanting to play for a legit contender? Or.....do you feel like these high profile guys should create balance and go to teams who really don't have a chance in hell to win state?

I mean, this wouldn't be an issue without transfers. Take Valdosta for example. They just had a QB transfer from North Georgia and now the Cali dude moves in. Instead of each quarterback having a chance to stand out at their own school, it now becomes a "one starts and one doesn't". This limits one person's ability to be great because they won't be able to star at their own school. And I know transfers can't be banned, but it would be cool to see how each school does with raw talent.

14 hours ago, ngdawg said:

How much of a chance does Colquitt have this year? I remember their loss to Valdosta 50-49 last year, though, and that was without the new coach and players.

I think they have a better chance than some are giving them, and they’re going to be playing with a chip in their shoulder. 

2 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I think they have a better chance than some are giving them, and they’re going to be playing with a chip in their shoulder. 

I was thinking the same. I do hear a lot of people saying that Colquitt isn't going be as great next year, but I doubt it. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I mean, this wouldn't be an issue without transfers. Take Valdosta for example. They just had a QB transfer from North Georgia and now the Cali dude moves in. Instead of each quarterback having a chance to stand out at their own school, it now becomes a "one starts and one doesn't". This limits one person's ability to be great because they won't be able to star at their own school. And I know transfers can't be banned, but it would be cool to see how each school does with raw talent.

That's what competition is for. At the end of the day, these guys wanna be part of a winning culture, so if you're that dude, you're gonna rise to the top while the other guys can either switch positions to get on the field or support the "brother" and win championships at that school. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

That's what competition is for. At the end of the day, these guys wanna be part of a winning culture, so if you're that dude, you're gonna rise to the top while the other guys can either switch positions to get on the field or support the "brother" and win championships at that school. 

I understand that. Assume we knew both of these Valdosta quarterbacks would be NFL stars with the right playing time. Just assume. Now, by having both quarterbacks on one team, only one can succeed while the other fails. At their previous schools however, they can each get the playing time they deserve and prove their worth and make it to the big leagues.

47 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I understand that. Assume we knew both of these Valdosta quarterbacks would be NFL stars with the right playing time. Just assume. Now, by having both quarterbacks on one team, only one can succeed while the other fails. At their previous schools however, they can each get the playing time they deserve and prove their worth and make it to the big leagues.

I feel you. This is the "ugly" side of football. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Exactly To be the best you want to compete against the best. Although these days settling is becoming the norm. Go head to head and see where you stand and it is often times a reality check for players (and sometimes more for their parents).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

That’s a huge leap of faith right there. Every once in a great while you will get the late bloomer or feel good story of the kid who didn’t start in HS and kept going and made it. Bit let’s talk reality. But if I was that second string QB, I’d look at the #1 QB and use that as motivation and work my ass off not leave to go somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

That’s a huge leap of faith right there. Every once in a great while you will get the late bloomer or feel good story of the kid who didn’t start in HS and kept going and made it. Bit let’s talk reality. But if I was that second string QB, I’d look at the #1 QB and use that as motivation and work my ass off not leave to go somewhere else.

Was the quarterback from California a starter or backup for this upcoming year? What about the one from Georgia? I literally don't know, someone help me out.

3 hours ago, ngdawg said:

Some of this type stuff is also an issue. If both of those qbs had come up through the Valdosta system. I can see the argument about best vs. best and Yada Yada, but, both of these qbs moved there this friggen year right? So, now what about the local kids that were working through the system as qb. Etc 

It's a snowball. Eventually it leads to reduced participation. It's a culture change in the sport where kids get beat for the spot at one school and they move to another and another and another until they displace someone that has been coming through the ranks. 

It makes for a few great teams and a lot of not so much, and then interest and support starts waning. Then you have Jersey in Georgia. Some are excited about the short term but, I'm fearful for the long term health of the sport. 

• Like 1