If you had to bet on 1 all time body builder/ weight lifter in their prime

Ga96

1 minute ago, sausmann9 said:

OMG!!!  Damn, now that is a GIANT of a human!!!  His height is very impressive at 7'7" but WTF his weight was estimated at around 1200 pounds, DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also could work on a farm several hours a day being that big. Some say he was even taller and heavier than that. Often worked on a farm and in a barn late a night, and people who came across him were terrified. Imagine how strong he was being able to carry so much weight and being able to work all day like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Cleve was an old friend. Grew up around him.  Went to school with his daughter and watched his granddaughters come up as well. 

He was never well off and was so big that he had to take the seat out of his ford pinto so he could drive around in it. I think he may have sat on a block in there. Remember him bringing Lee Ann to the football games in that car when we were in our early teens.. He and his brother owned a mobile home moving company and sales lot later in life in Pavo. 

He was initially slated to be the final opponent in Over the Top but it was deemed too unrealistic for Stallone to be able to beat the 6-7, 400+ pound Cleve in arm wrestling.

https://www.strengthfighter.com/2013/03/cleve-dean.html?m=1

• Like 2

Do any of you remember Bob Young - dude was from Brownwood TX.  Big time football player that had proven world class strength

Bob played 16 seasons in the NFL, mostly with the St. Louis Cardinals. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979 and was a first-team All-Pro selection in 1979. He also finished second in the inaugural World’s Strongest Man contest in 1977. 

He and his brother Doug Young were two of the strongest.  You won 2 or 3 world powerlifting championships.

The both played on some really good Brownwood Lion Football teams.

9 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Cleve was an old friend. Grew up around him.  Went to school with his daughter and watched his granddaughters come up as well. 

He was never well off and was so big that he had to take the seat out of his ford pinto so he could drive around in it. I think he may have sat on a block in there. Remember him bringing Lee Ann to the football games in that car when we were in our early teens.. He and his brother owned a mobile home moving company and sales lot later in life in Pavo. 

Not an arm wrestling fan by any means, but my friend’s dad was into that shit. They used to hold the World Wristwrestling Championship in out city every year so I remember Cleve Dean very well. Watched him win the title in like 78’ and 79’ when I went? Huge human. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Not an arm wrestling fan by any means, but my friend’s dad was into that shit. They used to hold the World Wristwrestling Championship in out city every year so I remember Cleve Dean very well. Watched him win the title in like 78’ and 79’ when I went? Huge human. 

Would have loved to see Cleve Dean arm wrestle a modern day Devon Larratt or Denis Cyplenkov. Cyplenkov might have the strongest arms of all time. Him or Magnus Samuelsson.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

He was initially slated to be the final opponent in Over the Top but it was deemed too unrealistic for Stallone to be able to beat the 6-7, 400+ pound Cleve in arm wrestling.

https://www.strengthfighter.com/2013/03/cleve-dean.html?m=1

I knew about that. They gave him a cameo in there instead. 

His hand was nearly as big as Stallone's entire head. No way they could have made it look realistic. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Phoenix native Superstar Billy Graham died yesterday at 79. Viewed as the prototype for guys like Hogan in WWE (back in his peak days it was WWWF) but was also a one-time World's Strongest Man competitor and shows up in a bunch of pics in Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. 

He was a shot and disc guy at Phoenix North High just after Dallas Long set the national prep shot put record there, and I think was a classmate with Wayne Newton of all people.

Left a rather complicated legacy in wrestling and was really lucky to make it to 79 (I first learned about him when he was seeking a kidney some 20+ years ago - former ASU/NFL linebacker Ron Pritchard was set to donate but couldn't when it was discovered Pritchard had a cancerous tumor; Graham also had a liver transplant at some point). Dude was jacked and could cut a promo:

5cfafe2de2726fa18ac798a3775cccf0.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:17 AM, I AM IRONMAN said:

@HawgGoneIt  hands down!

Im more becoming a hybrid athlete these days. I've kinda been meeting all my goals so its created the situation where I have to keep making new goals. I don't really want to get a lot bigger at this point. I weigh 194 at 10% body fat. I kind of want to be around 10 lbs heavier, but really I am good where I am. 

Too much more mass I'll be unable to run distance or do the savage and spartan races that I discovered I like. 

Thanks though! I've put a ton of work and money into all of this. 🤙

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:36 PM, Wooderson said:

Phoenix native Superstar Billy Graham died yesterday at 79. Viewed as the prototype for guys like Hogan in WWE (back in his peak days it was WWWF) but was also a one-time World's Strongest Man competitor and shows up in a bunch of pics in Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. 

He was a shot and disc guy at Phoenix North High just after Dallas Long set the national prep shot put record there, and I think was a classmate with Wayne Newton of all people.

Left a rather complicated legacy in wrestling and was really lucky to make it to 79 (I first learned about him when he was seeking a kidney some 20+ years ago - former ASU/NFL linebacker Ron Pritchard was set to donate but couldn't when it was discovered Pritchard had a cancerous tumor; Graham also had a liver transplant at some point). Dude was jacked and could cut a promo:

5cfafe2de2726fa18ac798a3775cccf0.jpg

Big player back in the day.  I remember Superstar Billy Graham well.  As shown, huge biceps.  Bodybuilder size. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, imaGoodBoyNow said:

FTW

80CF460B-9915-482D-939B-2D121EC54B6F.jpeg

Agreed, it’s all Arnold based simply on physique and proportion… he’s imo the Babe Ruth of bodybuilding and he was quite strong also.  
But if the the thread was focused on strength only, Arnold is not a proper choice, even with Dianabol and other performance enhancing roids.    

An American powerlifting choice could be Ed Coan pound for pound, but as far as the big fellas, “Kaz” and Mark Henry are as good as it gets.  

Zavickas (not American) in his prime (and he had a long career) is as good as it gets with a big strongman and brute power. 

Athleticism and brute strength, Polish strongman Pudzianowski had a great run in the world strongman competitions and also had a bodybuilder type frame.  He kept Savickas from winning a few more WSM events.  

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Agreed, it’s all Arnold based simply on physique and proportion… he’s imo the Babe Ruth of bodybuilding and he was quite strong also.  
But if the the thread was focused on strength only, Arnold is not a proper choice, even with Dianabol and other performance enhancing roids.    

An American powerlifting choice could be Ed Coan pound for pound, but as far as the big fellas, “Kaz” and Mark Henry are as good as it gets.  

Zavickas (not American) in his prime (and he had a long career) is as good as it gets with a big strongman and brute power. 

Athleticism and brute strength, Polish strongman Pudzianowski had a great run in the world strongman competitions and also had a bodybuilder type frame.  He kept Savickas from winning a few more WSM events.  

Remember all those guys! Kaz was crazy. My favorites are Magnus Samuelsson, Phil Pfister and Brian Shaw (met him twice).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Savickas overhead press power was unmatched. Pudzianowski was a freak athlete. 

• Like 1