College Football Decade Tournament

ngdawg

6 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Yeah I was curious why people picking that USC team, none the USC teams this decade were really that good and that Ole Miss team was a pretty damn good one, probably best one since Eli Manning days 

Saquon Barkley & Chris Godwin would tell you the 2016-17 USC team they lost to in the rose bowl was pretty decent. Just a guess though😜 

1 minute ago, HurricaneNick said:

Saquon Barkley & Chris Godwin would tell you the 2016-17 USC team they lost to in the rose bowl was pretty decent. Just a guess though😜 

Wasn't Penn State up for most of that game or were they down? Barkley had an amazing run for a TD, but that game-winning field goal was one for the ages. By the way, I was rooting for USC.

9 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Wasn't Penn State up for most of that game or were they down? Barkley had an amazing run for a TD, but that game-winning field goal was one for the ages. By the way, I was rooting for USC.

SC led at halftime, Penn st had a big third quarter and took the lead, Trojan defense shuts them out in the 4thQ and SC hits a field goal to win it. One of the best games I’ve ever been to.

• Like 1

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

SC led at halftime, Penn st had a big third quarter and took the lead, Trojan defense shuts them out in the 4thQ and SC hits a field goal to win it. One of the best games I’ve ever been to.

You went to it? Lucky. There were 5 or 6 teachers from my school who flew out for the Georgia-Oklahoma game a few years ago, and that turned out to be amazing for UGA. I went to the Big Ten championship this past year and got to high-five the entire Buckeyes squad, including Fields, Young, and Day. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Yeah I was curious why people picking that USC team, none the USC teams this decade were really that good and that Ole Miss team was a pretty damn good one, probably best one since Eli Manning days 

Now ole miss did have three losses (two of them questionable), but they did beat the future national champs that year (bama) and a 28 point win against oklahoma state in the sugar bowl. 

34 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

You went to it? Lucky. There were 5 or 6 teachers from my school who flew out for the Georgia-Oklahoma game a few years ago, and that turned out to be amazing for UGA. I went to the Big Ten championship this past year and got to high-five the entire Buckeyes squad, including Fields, Young, and Day. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

Hell yeah man that sounds cool. Yeah I went to the game, and the rose bowl the year before when McCaffrey went off on Iowa. Still funny that heisman winner Baker mayfield lost to freshman Jake Fromm. That Georgia defense was no joke, Roquan played linebacker how it’s supposed to be played. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ngdawg said:

@DarterBlue@sausmann9@HurricaneNick@Columbiafan@FootballGuy@ChimpGrip@TheMaximumHornetSting@AztecPadre@georgiagator1 and anyone else who is interested in voting...

First Round Matchups for Death Valley Region (Second Half):

(6) 2016 USC vs. (27) 2015 Ole Miss

Ole Miss fielded probably their best team in the modern era in 2015. Offensively, they had a very good OL with the best LT in CFB, a QB with a cannon of an arm, and an excellent bunch of receivers. Defense was not super good but played physical and could fly to the ball. DL was a quick-twitch bunch too, they were all over the place. Ole Miss would take out USC. 51-31 Ole Miss.

(11) 2016 Oklahoma vs. (22) 2017 USC

Not going to pick against former Cavalier Baker Mayfield. 

(3) 2018 Alabama vs. (30) 2012 Kansas State

The Tide in a blowout 

(14) 2013 Missouri vs. (19) 2012 Stanford

(7) 2015 Clemson vs. (26) 2019 Minnesota

This Clemson team was a win away from a 15-0 season. Watson and the offense were complex and very hard to stop, and they were good enough to put a fierce Alabama defense (who fielded maybe the best and deepest front seven in CFB history) under a lot of stress. 

(10) 2017 UCF vs. (23) 2016 Oklahoma State

Giving UCF a win here does not make me a believer.

(2) 2010 Auburn vs. (31) 2014 Missouri

No matter how close, Auburn would find a way to win. Otherwise, Auburn handles Mizzou

(15) 2010 Wisconsin vs. (18) 2014 Baylor

Badgers win IF they can control the game with their physical OL and run game. Baylor would move the ball and score points, but for Wisky to win they would need to milk the clock and dominate up front. I think JJ Watt and the Badgers front would give Baylor some issues. And QB Scott Tolzien was just good enough to manage the game and make throws when needed and not turn the ball over. Lastly, I don’t think Baylor has the defensive front to stand up to the Badgers bully OL. Wisconsin wins 35-21.  

Voting will remain open until Thursday at 9 pm and will extended as necessary. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Hell yeah man that sounds cool. Yeah I went to the game, and the rose bowl the year before when McCaffrey went off on Iowa. Still funny that heisman winner Baker mayfield lost to freshman Jake Fromm. That Georgia defense was no joke, Roquan played linebacker how it’s supposed to be played. 

Oh yeah. That was a very high scoring, action packed game but I think it was Deandre Swift who ran it in for the game-winner. I have a question though. Would you rather see Mater Dei play in the national championship live or watch your favorite college team play in the national championship live?

4 votes 2016 USC

3 votes 2015 Ole Miss

6 votes 2016 Oklahoma

1 vote 2017 USC

7 votes 2018 Alabama

5 votes 2012 Stanford

2 votes 2013 Missouri

6 votes 2015 Clemson

1 vote 2019 Minnesota

6 votes 2017 UCF

1 vote 2016 Oklahoma State

7 votes 2010 Auburn

5 votes 2014 Baylor

2 votes 2010 Wisconsin

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

For the USC vs. Oklahoma one, even Jake Fromm beat Mayfield as we were just talking about. I know that USC team lost to Ohio State, but it could still be possible that Darnold beats Mayfield straight up.

Didn't expect the Ole Miss-USC game to be that close in terms of votes.

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

For the USC vs. Oklahoma one, even Jake Fromm beat Mayfield as we were just talking about. I know that USC team lost to Ohio State, but it could still be possible that Darnold beats Mayfield straight up.

Didn't expect the Ole Miss-USC game to be that close in terms of votes.

Fromm had much better team around him. This was a GA team that nearly beat Bama.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Oh yeah. That was a very high scoring, action packed game but I think it was Deandre Swift who ran it in for the game-winner. I have a question though. Would you rather see Mater Dei play in the national championship live or watch your favorite college team play in the national championship live?

Tough one. I’ll go MD, especially while Rollo is there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgiagator1 said:

Honestly, I cant stand UCF and just couldnt make myself vote for them, lol. They had a good team but, they (and their fans) think they are a much better program than they are.

I don't blame them for what they did, they exposed a glaring issue in college football and showed why those greedy old timers like Mark Emmett need to go

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I think that was a very good Stanford team, so I picked them

I noticed how you offered a quick synopsis on each game except for that one, so I was curious as to why you didn't give one. But yeah, that stanford team had a lot of close wins while mizzou took care of their opponents with ease for the most part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgiagator1 said:

Honestly, I cant stand UCF and just couldnt make myself vote for them, lol. They had a good team but, they (and their fans) think they are a much better program than they are.

I did watch their bowl game against Auburn, while I don't think they beat Alabama that year they were definitely better than people gave them credit for 

They were the best team in the state of Florida that year as well 

4 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I did watch their bowl game against Auburn, while I don't think they beat Alabama that year they were definitely better than people gave them credit for 

They were the best team in the state of Florida that year as well 

They played literally nobody until the bowl game. If they played a full slate of SEC games they would have had multiple losses. Good, not great team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, georgiagator1 said:

They played literally nobody until the bowl game. If they played a full slate of SEC games they would have had multiple losses. Good, not great team.

And i would argue that Notre Dame in 2012 also played nobody and they got exposed the first time they had to face real competition

UCF got one shot at real competition and won, the problem is we won't know how good they could have done as they weren't given a chance to show it, the whole P5 conference deal is a monopoly of lies, it's just a way of consolidating the blue blood elites in their inner circle to prevent any new blood programs from ever getting a chance to rise to the top 

42 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

And i would argue that Notre Dame in 2012 also played nobody and they got exposed the first time they had to face real competition

UCF got one shot at real competition and won, the problem is we won't know how good they could have done as they weren't given a chance to show it, the whole P5 conference deal is a monopoly of lies, it's just a way of consolidating the blue blood elites in their inner circle to prevent any new blood programs from ever getting a chance to rise to the top 

ND beat OU in Norman for what it’s worth. As well as Stanford. Not elite teams but not slouches either.

And I would agree.

UCF needs to do what other programs did to get that respect and entry into a P5. There is a reason for the P5, and thats because MOST of the schools in the mid majors will NEVER be competitive with P5. FSU is a good example. They built themselves by going on the road and beating P5 teams back in the day. UCF wants home and home with P5 and its not happening with the major players. They HAVE to EARN it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, georgiagator1 said:

UCF needs to do what other programs did to get that respect and entry into a P5. There is a reason for the P5, and thats because MOST of the schools in the mid majors will NEVER be competitive with P5. FSU is a good example. They built themselves by going on the road and beating P5 teams back in the day. UCF wants home and home with P5 and its not happening with the major players. They HAVE to EARN it.

Let me ask you this what P5 conference has any interest in expansion?

Big 10 and pac 12 won't expand into FL because of obvious geographic reasons and probably big 12 for same reason

UF would with 100% certainty block any FL team from joining the SEC because why would they, allowing another FL school into the market would mean sharing revenue and exposure in the state of Florida 

And the ACC hasn't given any indication of ever adding any FL teams to join Miami and FSU

This is what I was saying in a early post, these P5 conferences operate a monopoly and will continue to control what teams are successful because they gain nothing from a new blood program rising to the top