College Football Decade Tournament

ngdawg

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

UF has also been one of the most successful teams in the SEC over past 20 years, one of only 4 teams who actually carried their weight

So it makes me question why you would bring up Ohio State only winning 2 national titles when it was even with one of the SEC best programs in Championship success in that stretch

Because the BIG only won 2 NC in that 20 years. Both OSU. We were discussing Conf powers. They had an impressive run over 20 years but they only won 2 NC for the BIG

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

UCLA and Washington were also good at the start of the 00s 

As was Penn State 

I'll give you Wisconsin who did seem to get better in past decade and Stanford had their moments 

Though I still feel it's easy to make the argument that college football was much stronger and had more depth around 1995-2005 stretch than it was at any point this decade 

There was more competitive balance I agree. Where we disagree is I say the reason is the SEC became even stronger.

3 minutes ago, georgiagator1 said:

There was more competitive balance I agree. Where we disagree is I say the reason is the SEC became even stronger.

The SEC got stronger in large part to 4 teams, 3 of whom were good in that 1995-2005 stretch (Alabama was good at start of 90s but started declining at end of 90s) 

But it doesn't explain why the depth of the other conferences got worse overall and I still feel that 10 year stretch I mentioned was still a stronger college football field in general than it is now 

LSU and UF both won national titles in that stretch I mentioned and Auburn had an undefeated season in that stretch

3/4 teams who were good during the SEC run of late were good back then as well

UGA and hell even Tennessee were also good in that stretch back then too and Alabama was only a few years removed from a national title

23 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I'm a little surprised that an undefeated team doesn't outvote a 1-loss team. 

I guess it helps that the one loss team did shut out the only team who beat them in the rematch 

I personally can buy the idea of 2011 Alabama winning, they were pretty loaded on defense and argubly better defensively than anyone 2019 LSU played and 2011 bama would have likely ran the ball well on LSU and limited their offenses possessions

4 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Now the question will be who does 2011 Alabama get to face when it becomes the battle of 2000s vs 2010s after that tournament 

Should be a loaded decade

So it'll basically be 2001 Miami vs. 2011 Alabama. I wouldn't bet against that Miami team though.

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I guess it helps that the one loss team did shut out the only team who beat them in the rematch 

I personally can buy the idea of 2011 Alabama winning, they were pretty loaded on defense and argubly better defensively than anyone 2019 LSU played and 2011 bama would have likely ran the ball well on LSU and limited their offenses possessions

Clemson was surprisingly good on D in 2019 after losing so many good players from one of the best defensive fronts of all time. Fast and tough but not as dominant up front as the 2016-2018 teams. 

For Bama to win, the offense would need to execute with precision as what we saw in the rematch, which would be very doable against a good but not great LSU D. Defensively, Bama would be challenged on the deep ball but they had the personnel to defend it. Hightower, for such a big linebacker, covered the middle of the field quite well. LSU would struggle to run the ball, CEW was a good RB but not nearly physical enough to pose a threat as a north/south runner. Further, Bama defense too disciplined on the edges for an outside-the-tackle run game to work. So the run game would be a no-go for LSU. The real challenge would be defending the vertical passing game. Burrow did it better than anyone in history in 2019. He could throw lasers down field in the pocket and on the run. And the receivers, every single week and seemingly on every throw, could adjust no matter the angle the ball was coming in at and make the catch. Never seen a vertical passing game like it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

So it'll basically be 2001 Miami vs. 2011 Alabama. I wouldn't bet against that Miami team though.

2001 Miami would be my personal pick for 00s decade and that matchup but 2000s also had 2004 USC, 2005 Texas and 2008 Florida who are all very Stout and loaded teams from the decade 

It will be a good one

• Like 1

Just now, ChimpGrip said:

I think it’ll be 2008 Florida 

Another cool idea... 2000’s winner and 2010’s winner duke it out. Winner gets 90’s winner (or we could just say 1995 Nebraska)

Personally I would do 80s vs 90s winner and let them face 00s/10s winner but 1995 Nebraska is a good one 

But we will see how this 2000s tournament goes before adding any others onto the pot lol

1 minute ago, ChimpGrip said:

I think it’ll be 2008 Florida 

Another cool idea... 2000’s winner and 2010’s winner duke it out. Winner gets 90’s winner (or we could just say 1995 Nebraska)

2008 Florida is good but 2001 Miami was loaded as hell

Ik the schedule wasn't overly impressive but talent wise they would hang with any current SEC team

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Personally I would do 80s vs 90s winner and let them face 00s/10s winner but 1995 Nebraska is a good one 

But we will see how this 2000s tournament goes before adding any others onto the pot lol

I know a guy who played fullback for Nebraska in the calm before the storm... right before their historic 1994-97 run.

He watched that '95 team up close from the sideline, said they looked so much faster and played far more physical than teams of today. Their players trained with weights and were like powerlifters on the field, while today’s players are more finesse and more like track stars. He knew some guys on that team. They told him they always knew they were the best, and there was never a moment of doubt all year. Pure dominance, from start to finish.

• Like 1