OT: Another Attack in London

thc6795

You know, there has been all kinds of hand-wringing about the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2 - who had not shown themselves as dangerous.  It is easy to criticize in retrospect - but harder in real time.  I suspect given another chance, FDR would do it again.  We are at war with these terrorists - it is beyond the capacity of the police.  We need to accept that and act accordingly.  And stop saying we can't do this and can't do that and focus on what will work.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:29 PM, thc6795 said:

Looks like there has been another attack in London. Cajun and Douchebagpuss66 don't like to call it a Terrorist attack? Can someone pls tell me what we should call this?

This is not political, rather several observations.

I have made wrong turns in Hamburg, Paris and Birmingham over the last two + decades.  All three are memorable since two I drove through and one (Hamburg) I walked through late at night.  All three areas were "thick" with immigrants where the neighborhoods did no feel like or sound like the countries they were in.  Paris was off of the Peripherique (beltway) and I saw the same area on television years later with police ramiing doors in buildings looking for terrorists.  I, sitting in my car at several traffic lights, had people staring at me.  Several women walked by in burkas and I knew that I had made a very real wrong turn searching for the road to Paris' 8th arrondisement (downtown).

Birmingham, England has a large community which is similar to the Parisian one above.  The next night, in Manchester which is a 100 miles or so north, I sat in a pub and talked about my experience with several English.  They told me that Manchester had a similar community-not as large-but it was populated with immigrants from several middle Eastern and North African countries who came to England for the social and medical benefits but had no interest in assimilating into the culture.

Another night, another year I walked into the wrong area in Hamburg, in Northern Germany.  A policeman stopped me wondering what I, an Anglo, was doing walking around this particular community at 10:00 at night.  He asked me in German and when I responded in English, he told me that I could be in danger.  Americans were not liked in that community.  He called a cab for me.

The social benefits in all three countries far exceed what one finds in America.  There is also not an ocean to cross, only a sea to get there.  From what I know all three communities had cultures, the majority of whom cared little for where they lived.

Over time a number of young men from these communities have gone to Syria and elsewhere to learn from ISIS.  Now they are coming back.

I've walked across the London bridge.  I've sat in that arena in Manchester and also Olde Trafford where the concert is scheduled for tomorrow night.  I've also been in the Stade de France which several people tried to blow up a year or so ago.  And Neurenberg where a rock concert of 40+ thousand was evacuated because of terrorist threats today.

I don't know how to protect against some one who wants to kill us.  The most intense security I have ever seen was at the Allianz arena (Bayern Munich) in Munich.  Unbelievable security with complete pat downs, emptying every bag and package for inspection, every part of the body having a wand passed over it and more.  But this is outside of the Allianz (a 75,000 seat arena similar to Olde Trafford) and on my visits there were several thousand people crowded into the areas where the security was performed.

You can keep a terrorist out of a stadium but there is nothing to prevent them from attacking the security areas.  Or going after people who leave the stadium like Manchester a couple of weeks ago. 

Or walking across London bridge or a club nearby.

I don't know of an area in America like the three I saw in the UK and Europe. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

This is not political, rather several observations.

I have made wrong turns in Hamburg, Paris and Birmingham over the last two + decades.  All three are memorable since two I drove through and one (Hamburg) I walked through late at night.  All three areas were "thick" with immigrants where the neighborhoods did no feel like or sound like the countries they were in.  Paris was off of the Peripherique (beltway) and I saw the same area on television years later with police ramiing doors in buildings looking for terrorists.  I, sitting in my car at several traffic lights, had people staring at me.  Several women walked by in burkas and I knew that I had made a very real wrong turn searching for the road in Paris' 8th arrondisement (downtown).

Birmingham, England has a large community which is similar to the Parisian one above.  The next night, in Manchester which is a 100 miles or so north, I sat in a pub and talked about my experience with several English.  They told me that Manchester had a similar community-not as large-but it was populated with immigrants from several middle Eastern and North African countries who came to England for the social and medical benefits but had no interest in assimilating into the culture.

Another night, another year I walked into the wrong area in Hamburg, in Northern Germany.  A policeman stopped me wondering what I, an Anglo, was doing walking around this particular community at 10:00 at night.  He asked me in German and when I responded in English, he told me that I could be in danger.  Americans were not liked in that community.  He called a cab for me.

The social benefits in all three countries far exceed what one finds in America.  There is also not an ocean to cross, only a sea to get there.  From what I know all three communities had cultures, the majority of whom cared little for where they lived.

Over time a number of young men from these communities have gone to Syria and elsewhere to learn from ISIS.  Now they are coming back.

I've walked across the London bridge.  I've sat in that arena in Manchester and also Olde Trafford where the concert is scheduled for tomorrow night.  I've also been in the Stade de France which several people tried to blow up a year or so ago.  And Neurenberg where a rock concert of 40+ thousand was evacuated because of terrorist threats today.

I don't know how to protect against some one who wants to kill us.  The most intense security I have ever seen was at the Allianz arena (Bayern Munich) in Munich.  Unbelievable security with complete pat downs, emptying every bag and package for inspection, every part of the body having a wand passed over it and more.  But this is outside of the Allianz (a 75,000 seat arena similar to Olde Trafford) and on my visits there were several thousand people crowded into the areas where the security was performed.

You can keep a terrorist out of a stadium but there is nothing to prevent them from attacking the security areas.  Or going after people who leave the stadium like Manchester a couple of weeks ago. 

Or walking across London bridge or a club nearby.

I don't know of an area in America like the three I saw in the UK and Europe. 

Nice post Big Drop

post # 9 

it's so true and not reported

• Like 1

We have to stop thinking of this as criminal activity and accept that it is war.  War against people living inside our borders.  Our history is replete with examples of civil liberties being curtailed during war.  Nobody likes going down that route, but we cannot live with what is going on in Europe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

You know, there has been all kinds of hand-wringing about the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2 - who had not shown themselves as dangerous.  It is easy to criticize in retrospect - but harder in real time.  I suspect given another chance, FDR would do it again.  We are at war with these terrorists - it is beyond the capacity of the police.  We need to accept that and act accordingly.  And stop saying we can't do this and can't do that and focus on what will work.

Yep. Just as I suspected. The terrorists won a long time ago and you are their gravy.

Attack in London equals suspending the constitution in America.

They're sopping your ass up. 

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

We have to stop thinking of this as criminal activity and accept that it is war.  War against people living inside our borders.  Our history is replete with examples of civil liberties being curtailed during war.  Nobody likes going down that route, but we cannot live with what is going on in Europe.

I thought we were all aboard the fuck Europe!, FTW! USA train only bishes! These days. 

Now you wanna give up someone elses constitutional rights because you will feel better with the gravy sopped off your ass. 

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yep. Just as I suspected. The terrorists won a long time ago and you are their gravy.

The terrorists win when we allow them to continue to carry out their attacks.  Everyone is always saying you cannot stop them.  That is incorrect - we can stop them - but what we are doing is not going to do it.

• Like 1

I was in Nuremberg this past Christmas at the Christmas Market. Around 8 a group of what looked like people of Arab decent marched through the market chanting something in what I assumed was Arabic. Very young group of people. Some of the locals were talking about how rude it was. Some were even suggesting they were training to become protesters or something even worse. It was the day of the Berlin attack on the Christmas Market. After the attack the police were everywhere and we didn't see any other problems at the 5 next markets we visited. 

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

The terrorists win when we allow them to continue to carry out their attacks.  Everyone is always saying you cannot stop them.  That is incorrect - we can stop them - but what we are doing is not going to do it.

No. The terrorists won already. They win when people like you are willing to give up your basic rights in trade for fear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I thought we were all aboard the fuck Europe!, FTW! USA train only bishes! These days. 

Now you wanna give up someone elses constitutional rights because you will feel better with the gravy sopped off your ass. 

And you are like Neville Chamberlain, turn a blind eye and pray it goes away sometime soon - and make the day of reckoning that much worse.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You seem very aggressive this evening maybe time to step away

12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Wow today you care abt the constitution yet you're ok with limited freedom of speech and gun control