2011 Don Bosco Prep vs 2012 Katy

ChimpGrip

19 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

this is a complete review of the entire 2011 Bosco season....every game...video etc...

is there something similiar for Katy?  

https://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/05/history_rewind_a_look_back_at.html

this is very neat! I want to make an article like this for my other favourite teams and seasons

nothing quite like this for Katy, but there is an article that reviews their season. Will have to locate it and post it. 

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

this is very neat! I want to make an article like this for my other favourite teams and seasons

nothing quite like this for Katy, but there is an article that reviews their season. Will have to locate it and post it. 

I like this idea, too. On a side note, I'm actually making a highlight reel for my school's football program for fun. There aren't any mixes for my school's football, so I might share it here when I'm done.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

2012 Katy was the most physical team I had ever seen up to that point (imo). Offense would run defenders over and bully them. It would really start to get ugly when the opposing defense was gassed and Katy would line up in the I with Adam Taylor or Rodney Anderson and just run them over like a toyota camry getting thumped by a train. 

Yeah, they didn't play anybody.

Rinse, repeat.

12 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Katy vs. Cibolo Steele, 2012 5A DII state semifinal

17 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

2012 Katy was the most physical team I had ever seen up to that point (imo). Offense would run defenders over and bully them. It would really start to get ugly when the opposing defense was gassed and Katy would line up in the I with Adam Taylor or Rodney Anderson and just run them over like a toyota camry getting thumped by a train. 

And then someone posts a video of them being in a death struggle with Steele in the 4th quarter.

🤡

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

And the someone posts a video of them being in a death struggle with Steele in the 4th quarter.

🤡

I agree.

DBP played 6 games against teams ranked in the top 70 and gave up 56 points.

Katy played 2 games against teams in the top 75 and gave up 57 points 

Im taking DBP 

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

I agree.

Im taking DBP 

Can you offer any input as to how the game would go and how DBP matches up with Katy rather than continuing to only point to SOS? 

As previously noted, SOS is important but not everything.

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Can you offer any input as to how the game would go and how DBP matches up with Katy rather than continuing to only point to SOS? 

It seems pretty obvious that Katy would have a much tougher time scoring on DBP.The Ironman Defense would shorten the field for the offense.

18 hours ago, The Guru said:

And the someone posts a video of them being in a death struggle with Steele in the 4th quarter. 

🤡

I guess we’re just going to ignore the fact that Steele was a 2010 5A DII state champion & 2011 5A DII state runner-up; undefeated and looking for a third straight title game? 

You do understand you can bash Texas without sounding like a complete tool ALL THE TIME, right?

13 hours ago, Ararar said:

It seems pretty obvious that Katy would have a much tougher time scoring on DBP.The Ironman Defense would shorten the field for the offense.

That’s a great point but while this is true; do we find ourselves questioning the legitimacy of the Bosco when they find themselves in odd struggles?

2019 - St John Bosco 27 - Servite 26

2018 - St John Bosco 35 - JSerra 28

2017 - St John Bosco 21 - St John 17

2016 - St John Bosco 20 - Gorman 35

Points against:

2015 - Orange Lutheran 31

2014 - Long Beach Poly 33

2013 - Loyola 24

2012 - Notre Dame 24

2012 - Orange Lutheran 21

Not even remotely, because everyone knows they’ll simply steamroll 99 percent of the teams they play. 

Katy had that exact same aura about them in that period of time. You may even hang around them for a bit, like Steele did, but you’re going to lose. They will out coach you, out condition you, and force you into mistakes that you don’t normally make. Everyone here has fallen victim to it. They aren’t flashy and will not make huge highlight plays all over the field but they will play an impeccable brand of disciplined, position defense that you pretty much have to out athlete to win against. {Cedar Hill 2013; North Shore 2018, 2019} were fortunate to have a championship caliber athletic bunch along with their coaching to pull off the wins.

Even during those matchups Katy was either leading or had a shot at taking them down.

Katy has been a consistent power here for awhile now & have been in the state’s head until maybe 2016. 2015 was a senior heavy team and once teams started beating them the next season, it proved to everyone else beating Katy wasn’t just a dream.

Now you see teams not looking like deer in headlights against them:

Westlake 32 - Katy 29  [2016]

Katy 50 - Klein Collins 49  [2016]

The Woodlands 26 - Katy 3  [2016]

North Shore 20 - Katy 17  [2016]

Katy 14 - Lake Travis 28  [2017]

Katy 35 - Katy Tompkins 31  [2019]

Katy 35 - Ridge Point 28  [2019]

Katy 27 - Cy Fair 14  [2019]

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

But SOS is the only tangible thing we have.

You want people to talk about match-ups 8 years after the fact about a hypothetical game that will never be played.

You're overrating Katy which has been apparent to practically every person who has read this thread except you.

4 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

I guess we’re just going to ignore the fact that Steele was a 2010 5A DII state champion & 2011 5A DII state runner-up; undefeated and looking for a third straight title game?

Yeah, because it doesn't matter.

Look at the collection of slapdicks that these guys played.

2010.PNG.0efdfb3e2a3d91eec1c703f282ae1bf5.PNG

2011.PNG.8e59b08b2800420f900e6ba78cf053bc.PNG

How many meaningful wins in these two years? One? An upset win over Guyer?

Other than that getting smashed by Dekaney. Losing to Tivy by two scores and giving up 54 points. Losing to Madison.

The number of teams that could've had their exact record and performance against a bunch of San Antonio and Valley schools is vast.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

You do understand you can bash Texas without sounding like a complete tool ALL THE TIME, right?

That’s a great point but this is true; do we find ourselves questioning the legitimacy of the Bosco when they find themselves in odd struggles?

2019 - St John Bosco 27 - Servite 26

2018 - St John Bosco 35 - JSerra 28

2017 - St John Bosco 21 - St John 17

2016 - St John Bosco 20 - Gorman 35

Points against:

2015 - Orange Lutheran 31

2014 - Long Beach Poly 33

2013 - Loyola 24

2012 - Notre Dame 24

2012 - Orange Lutheran 21

Not even remotely, because everyone knows they’ll simply steamroll 99 percent of the teams they play. 

Katy had that exact same aura about them in that period of time. You may even hang around them for a bit, like Steele did, but you’re going to lose. They will out coach you, out condition you, and force you into mistakes that you don’t normally make. Everyone here has fallen victim to it. They aren’t flashy and will not make huge highlight plays all over the field but they will play an impeccable brand of disciplined, position defense that you pretty much have to out athlete to win against. {Cedar Hill 2013; North Shore 2018, 2019} were fortunate to have a championship caliber athletic bunch along with their coaching to pull off the wins.

Even during those matchups Katy was either leading or had a shot at taking them down.

Katy has been a consistent power here for awhile now & have been in the state’s head until maybe 2016. 2015 was a senior heavy team and once teams started beating them the next season, it proved to everyone else beating Katy wasn’t just a dream.

Now you see teams not looking like deer in headlights against them:

Westlake 32 - Katy 29  [2016]

Katy 50 - Klein Collins 49  [2016]

The Woodlands 26 - Katy 3  [2016]

North Shore 20 - Katy 17  [2016]

Katy 14 - Lake Travis 28  [2017]

Katy 35 - Katy Tompkins 31  [2019]

Katy 35 - Ridge Point 28  [2019]

Katy 27 - Cy Fair 14  [2019]

I don’t know what SJB has to do with DBP or Katy.You asked about two specific teams in two specific years and the only real evidence we have suggests DBP would win.

We all understand that a real game has it’s own nuances but since this game will never be played we can only rely on what has already been established 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 4:41 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Who wins and why? Nothing against my DBP buddies on here, but I like Katy here. 

I saw both and they were similar teams - very good.    I'd go with Bosco slightly.  What was the DB situation at Katy?  That would be the key - Bosco had one of the better team defenses I've seen but there offense was suspect at best.  Ok ground game but only WR who was good (Caroo) - if a team had a shudown corner and a good front 7 they could shut Bosco down big time but of course this receipe wasn't as common back then as now with all of these universities masquerading as high school teams.  Bosco really struggled to move on Manattee (admitted by Toal) and all Manatee had was a good dline their back 7 was weak so Bosco eventually caught them with a long ball to win but couldnt run for shit.....they were having to fake punts, block punts etc to put up points as was usually the case anytime they came up against a defense with top tier talent.  Plus Manatee's offense had nothing that year - not D1 player.  Now Manatee the year before had a legit offense with Blakely, Ace Saunders and the other WR who went on to lead Iowa St in receiving (can't remember his name) .    That Manattee team beats Bosco or Katy IMO

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ararar said:

I agree.

Im taking DBP 

I am voting for Bosco over Katy as well. The Ironmen were more thoroughly vetted by purposefully scheduling risk games and then by winning them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

I am voting for Bosco over Katy as well. The Ironmen were more thoroughly vetted by purposefully scheduling risk games and then by winning them. 

This point can't be overstated.

You don't have to like them but in a comparison of those Bosco era teams and a Texas team that steadfastly refused to take any scheduling risks you have to side with the former.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Guru said:

I will always sound like a tool to deluded Texas fanboys who don't understand that their football is overrated.

Understood. “Texas fans do not understand that their football is overrated”. Fair enough.

Texas is overrated in comparison to whom? 

What aspect of Texas football allows it to be perceived as overrated?

6 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

What aspect of Texas football allows it to be perceived as overrated?

Practically everything.

Their teams almost never play any defense. Therefore, a lot of their hyped programs are simply spread teams that score a lot of points.

The best team in the state last year won a playoff game 76-49. It was one of the most disgraceful displays I've ever seen. It was as if they were demonstrating what football would look like if nobody touched anybody else and the teams didn't try to tackle each other.

• Like 1