Revisiting the national rankings 2005

954gator

23 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Funny thing is you are using computer ranking for this era.   Those numbers meant nothing at that point.

Right.

Not only did he change the subject but he used the exact metric that I was criticizing to support his point.

Notice that I didn't mention Plainview's calpreps rating because that would've undercut my original and undisputed point.

Also Dillard and Ely were perennial contenders in the 80s/90s and early 2000s.   Before STA lead the nation in HS players in the NFL it was Ely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ibiartpompano.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/thats-a-lot-of-nfl-football-players-from-pompano/amp/

Here’s an interesting post (not 100% sure if accurate)

No Florida high school has had as many combined Parade and USA Today All-Americans as Blanche Ely High School in Pompano Beach.  Ely has had 9 players earn those honors.  The amount of talent this school has produced is amazing.  Patrick Peterson, who currently plays for the Arizona Cardinals, is probably Ely's most decorated player to ever don an NFL uniform.  Below are some of Ely's better know players.

*1978 James Jones-RB/U of Florida and NFL

*1987 Harvey Thomas-OL/U of Florida

*1990 Tyrant Marion-DE/Florida St 

1990 Zack Crockett-FB/Florida St and NFL 

*1990 Dou Innocent-RB/U of Mississippi and NFL

1990 Kevin McDougle-QB/Notre Dame

*1991 Henri Crockett-LB/Florida St and NFL

1992 Al Harris-DB/Texas A&M and NFL star

1994 Corey Simon-DL/Florida State(consensus All-American) and NFL; was a USA Today All-American

1995 Tyrone Carter-DB/U of Minnesota(consensus All-American) and NFL

1998 Jerome McDougle-DE/U of Miami and NFL 

*2002 Andrew Bain-OL/U of Miami

*2002 Tyrone Moss-RB/U of Miami

2002 Clint Session-LB/U of Pittsburgh and NFL

2005 Walter McFadden-DB/Auburn and NFL

2005 Joshua Moore-DB/Kansas State and NFL

2006 JT Thomas-LB/U of West Virginia and NFL

*2007 Patrick Peterson-DB/LSU(2X All-American) and NFL star; was also a USA Today hs All-American; he was know as "Patrick Johnson" at Ely

2009 Jabari Price-DB/U of North Carolina and NFL

2012 Rashard Robinson-DB/LSU and NFL

*Parade All-American

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Here’s an article on Hollywood hills from that era.   One of the names should stand out as he has over 50 sacks in the league ;)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2006-06-11-0606080592-story,amp.html

2005 was really an inflection point for STA.

But that was a huge game at the time. Probably one of the biggest intra-county games in decades.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Guru said:

2005 was really an inflection point for STA.

But that was a huge game at the time. Probably one of the biggest intra-country games in decades.

Yeah I remember the Hollywood Hills posters talking smack in that era.   Was like 2-3 years they were strong, but nothing like how Dillard and Ely that had battled with STA for a long period of time.  When I was in HS at STA I remember Dillard/Ely/Deerfield beach games were for the most part “pick em” games according to the local media. 

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Yeah there's one with many of the plays I've seen. Not the best quality, but would have been better to have live during the game!

I missed that one also, but wasn't it on TV?   Oh you know what I'm thinking of the Lakeland vs DLS game.   I was out of town and where I was didn't have the broadcast.   I was never able to see that one and it still pisses me off.   
Hopefully one day that one will be put online so I can finally watch it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Here’s a good idea of what type of teams Ely had back in those times.    This is STA’s 2009 stacked team with NFL talent all over   Playing Ely in the playoffs.

And that Ely team didn’t have a Patrick Peterson like the 2005 team did :)

That was their last really good team. That was one of those games where you realize you're not in Kansas.

• Like 1

Just now, LT4Spartan06 said:

Showing his age again I see @Wosinc

Don't get upset I am just messing with you man!

Not upset at all! I like this. But it's sad that before I clicked on the notification, I already knew you were going to mention something about my age. Here's the thing that catches a lot of people off guard: I don't look like the person to know a lot of sports, especially considering my age. But I've done a lot of research on sports historically for fun. I've watched countless highlights to the point that I can quote the announcer's exact words in the same style and timing. I just like absorbing information from wherever I can, whether it be sports or education. I'm like a sponge...but less useful.

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

I missed that one also, but wasn't it on TV?   Oh you know what I'm thinking of the Lakeland vs DLS game.   I was out of town and where I was didn't have the broadcast.   I was never able to see that one and it still pisses me off.   
Hopefully one day that one will be put online so I can finally watch it.  

I don't think Lakeland-X was available anywhere, but definitely not in SoCal where I was. But, yeah, it's bizarre Lakeland-DLS isn't available anywhere now. I even tried searching ESPN+ for it and nothing came up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Easily one the the 3-4 best HSFB games I've ever seen. 

5 hours ago, badrouter said:

I don't think Lakeland-X was available anywhere, but definitely not in SoCal where I was. But, yeah, it's bizarre Lakeland-DLS isn't available anywhere now. I even tried searching ESPN+ for it and nothing came up.

Man you guys sbould have been at that game! Such a good atmosphere.

The Herbstreit games over the years were so much fun to go to.