Notre Dame to Join ACC This Year

ngdawg

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I think they already play hockey in the Big Ten, so it would have just been easier to switch there for football. Makes an already stacked conference even better.

They play every sport in the ACC and are required to play 5 ACC football games per year.

So, no, not easier to join Big Ten.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

They play every sport in the ACC and are required to play 5 ACC football games per year.

So, no, not easier to join Big Ten.

Either way, do we get to see Notre Dame vs. Clemson? I doubt Notre Dame will win, but at least it's hope that the mighty Orangemen may lose (yes, I know that's Syracuse but still).

11 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Either way, do we get to see Notre Dame vs. Clemson? I doubt Notre Dame will win, but at least it's hope that the mighty Orangemen may lose (yes, I know that's Syracuse but still).

The ACC has said that they will accommodate Notre Dame if they go to conference only schedule.

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

The ACC has said that they will accommodate Notre Dame if they go to conference only schedule.

At this point, they don't really have a choice. Going conference-only is the best bet, especially after the Big Ten set that precedent. Any chance for Notre Dame to make the CFP would have to include an undefeated regular season, which likely means a win versus Clemson. Notre Dame needs the ACC.

12 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Notre Dame has 1 National Title since 1978.  Since 1989 they have none. They are not an elite program nowadays.  ACC does not need Notre Dame for 1 year Notre Dame needs the ACC.  Notre Dame would not even play bowl games for 50 years.  

Guru is correct about their easier fit in the ACC but for the overall long term... becoming part of the Big Ten would be more interesting.

Their history with the BT is more significant and many of the rivalry's:  both Michigan schools along with the with Purdue and IU would become more interesting. ( not to mention the annual face off with OSU or PSU ) In their heyday, they locked up a significant number of Chicago area recruits which would happen again if they were in the BT.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Guru is correct about their easier fit in the ACC but for the overall long term... becoming part of the Big Ten would be more interesting.

Their history with the BT is more significant and many of the rivalry's:  both Michigan schools along with the with Purdue and IU would become more interesting. ( not to mention the annual face off with OSU or PSU ) In their heyday, they locked up a significant number of Chicago area recruits which would happen again if they were in the BT.

I bet people remember more significant Notre Dame games against Boston College, Florida State and Miami than they do against Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

I would agree with you on BC ( natural catholic rivalry ) and Miami ( should have become the southern version of ND - SC ) but not Florida State. Most in the mid west and west coast could care less ( now FLS vs Miami... different story ). ND's history with MS goes well beyond their 66 game which many who are still around, talk about on occasion.

Notre Dame does not need a conference in any normal times.....join ACC for temp fix...if everything is back to normal for 2021 season...then no....being independent is best for them...agree BIG Ten better fit.....why split their football TV money......ND is still an elite program with Caveats.....to think they can get the same kids that Bama /Clemson / SEC teams based on academics is not possible......all you haters should really look at Notre Dame / Stanford / Northwestern / Boston College etc and marvel that they can compete with these other teams......

• Thanks 1