Ivy League Fall sports decision Wednesday

SJR89

41 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Don't listen to guru. Guys an idiot. 

I present facts. And dimaggio is respected by millions 

Of course DiMaggio is respected for his contributions. But if his allegations of assault were more well-known, his influential hemisphere would decrease in radius. Especially in today's everchanging world, DiMaggio would be hated on widely.

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

The civil war was different

The south had 1/3 the amount of people who could fight than the north as blacks were not allowed to fight for the south until 1865

The north also had more resources 

Also after the EP Spain and France would not help the south as they didnt support slavery 

It was amazing the Civil War last 4 years. If it was a betting line the north would have been a 50 point favorite. Bad Northern leadership by guys like General Joe Hooker led to it going 4 years instead of say 18 months.   Without Virginia going to the south its over in less than a year because Lee's army of Northern Virginia would have been in the North.

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

It was amazing the Civil War last 4 years. If it was a betting line the north would have been a 50 point favorite. Bad Northern leadership by guys like General Joe Hooker led to it going 4 years instead of say 18 months.   Without Virginia going to the south its over in less than a year because Lee's army of Northern Virginia would have been in the North.

This should be the trailer for a new History Channel series entitled "Betting Favorites in the Civil War: Featuring an Outlaw from Hoover, Alabama".

19 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The biggest issue why prohibition went away was the government not getting taxes off liquor sales. Except for the Kennedy family who started its wealth with moonshine whiskey and  inside trading on the stock market. 

Additionally, bootlegging allowed for the illegal sale and distribution of alcohol nationwide. I believe that this is how several gangsters gained their initial fame. After a point, it simply became useless to continue with prohibition because bootlegging was so prominent. I better get this right, otherwise my AP US History teacher is going to come over to my house and burn me.

3 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

This should be the trailer for a new History Channel series entitled "Betting Favorites in the Civil War: Featuring an Outlaw from Hoover, Alabama".

Atlanta was a 70 point underdog vs Sherman. Sherman was a ruthless SOB after the civil war he was ask what to do about the indian problems he wanted to kill them all.  He also should have been charged with war crimes after the march to the sea.  If Grant would have not stopped Sherman no telling how many more woman and children in South Carolina would have died.  He was headed to South Carolina next. 

3 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Atlanta was a 70 point underdog vs Sherman. Sherman was a ruthless SOB after the civil war he was ask what to do about the indian problems he wanted to kill them all.  He also should have been charged with war crimes after the march to the sea.  If Grant would have not stopped Sherman no telling how many more woman and children in South Carolina would have died.  He was headed to South Carolina next. 

Sherman gifted the city of Savannah, Georgia to Abraham Lincoln, saving the historic city from being burned down. Tune in next time to "Betting Favorites in the Civil War: Featuring an Outlaw from Hoover, Alabama" to learn more about the odds of Sherman versus South Carolina.

Only with certain folks involved in a thread about college football and the effects of the pandemic on it, can we end up in the sewers imagining what the potential betting odds on the Civil War could have been. 

xD

I'd rather we place odds on the date we finally escape the grips of this pandemic. 

I'm guessing at least one person in this thread would bet the house on Nov. 4th 2020. 

Those of us living in the real world would bet on some time next year... maybe. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

He also should have been charged with war crimes after the march to the sea.  If Grant would have not stopped Sherman no telling how many more woman and children in South Carolina would have died.  He was headed to South Carolina next. 

Sherman was a hero.

They did not target civilians and the number of civilian deaths could have been as little as 100.

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Only with certain folks involved in a thread about college football and the effects of the pandemic on it, can we end up in the sewers imagining what the potential betting odds on the Civil War could have been. 

xD

I'd rather we place odds on the date we finally escape the grips of this pandemic. 

I'm guessing at least one person in this thread would bet the house on Nov. 4th 2020. 

Those of us living in the real world would bet on some time next year... maybe. 

There were many Generals including Lee that though the South had no chance before the war started. Not trying to get in the sewers just pointing out the South was doomed from start.  

If I had to bet it will be a year before we are covid safe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Of course DiMaggio is respected for his contributions. But if his allegations of assault were more well-known, his influential hemisphere would decrease in radius. Especially in today's everchanging world, DiMaggio would be hated on widely.

Don't make his world today's world. That's what wrong with todays world. Everyone today wants the past to conform to today. Doesnt work

38 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The best generals were in the south. When stonewall Jackson died it was a huge blow to rhe South eap to Lee. Stonewall was his right hand man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Don't make his world today's world. That's what wrong with todays world. Everyone today wants the past to conform to today. Doesnt work

But just because something happened in the past with lesser regulation doesn't mean it's right. Slavery was allowed, but it certainly isn't right. And anyone who believes it is should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Guru said:

I know it well.

He brought the war straight to the doorstep of the people responsible for it.

He was fighting and killing mostly woman, old men and children in Georgia. Why burn down factories if not needed.  Why did Grant tell him to stop the terrible way he was conducting his troops before South Carolina.  His burning of churches and his troops raping woman only makes him a hero in a sick mind like yours.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

But just because something happened in the past with lesser regulation doesn't mean it's right. Slavery was allowed, but it certainly isn't right. And anyone who believes it is should be ashamed of themselves.

It was typical society. The world isn't wrong and right.

Lincoln understood the legality of slavery. He had a moral issue to it. 

There is societial norms and you have to understand that. Men used to go to work. Women stayed home. Men beat their wives and children. 

Women stayed in the kitchen and didn't work. That was normal. 

Families had slaves that was societial norm.

People may look back on our generation and say lbtq whatever isn't right. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

It was typical society. The world isn't wrong and right.

Lincoln understood the legality of slavery. He had a moral issue to it. 

There is societial norms and you have to understand that. Men used to go to work. Women stayed home. Men beat their wives and children. 

Women stayed in the kitchen and didn't work. That was normal. 

Families had slaves that was societial norm.

People may look back on our generation and say lbtq whatever isn't right. 

But my point is that something being a societal norm does not make it correct. It was normal for people to engage in a patriarchal lifestyle, but that doesn't mean it was right. We have to evaluate history through different lenses, lenses which have been updated to match current standards.

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

But my point is that something being a societal norm does not make it correct. It was normal for people to engage in a patriarchal lifestyle, but that doesn't mean it was right. We have to evaluate history through different lenses, lenses which have been updated to match current standards.

So should the future analysis us and say everything we do is wrong?? 

Let's make this simple. Did the way babe Ruth play baseball wrong? He's a hall of famer and one of the greatest players ever 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

So should the future analysis us and say everything we do is wrong?? 

Not everything. But yes, societal norms will always change. And when they do, they may look back at supposed "mistakes" we have made an attempt to improve on them to create a better society.

• Thanks 1