Ivy League Fall sports decision Wednesday

SJR89

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

Dumb people are generally disagreeable and ultimately fail for that precise reason.

I wouldn't say some people are dumb, I would just say that they are partially uneducated when making decisions. They don't give decisions the thought it deserves. 

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I wouldn't say some people are dumb, I would just say that they are partially uneducated when making decisions. They don't give decisions the thought it deserves. 

Yes but big decisions like Civil War and seceding from the NCAA are pretty important and not thinking about them is....dumb.

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

How so? It was legal up until 1863. The government tried to take alcohol too. That was an absolute disaster 

Just because slavery was legal doesn't mean it's right. And yes, prohibition occurred because of irresponsibility. Men would go home and abuse their wife and children at record rates. We just learned about it in AP US History.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ngdawg said:

Just because slavery was legal doesn't mean it's right. And yes, prohibition occurred because of irresponsibility. Men would go home and abuse their wife and children at record rates. We just learned about it in AP US History.

and do u know professional baseball players were part of that. But baseball didn't stop. Their careers didn't end. Prohibition leaded up to people being blind due to how they cut the alcohol in their bathtub 

Don't get me wrong, I hope we can have sports sooner than later.

If we're being pragmatic though, how can anyone expect it to actually happen? The decision to move to spring is still most likely delaying an inevitable decision at that time yet again, because, collectively we won't do what it takes to move beyond this pandemic so that we can do these things successfully. 

As we discussed in the hsfb version thread of this issue, there is more than one team to consider each week. If a student athlete tests positive on the week of a game, and the process is then to shut everything down for 10 days for cleaning and to make sure there isn't community spread among the team, then suddenly multiple teams suffer consequences potentially over a two game stretch. It's not really doable to have a successful season like that. 

That's beside the point of whether or not they're allowed to sell tickets for their gates. 

There is a lot of moving parts with t.v. deals and etc., if one team has to cancel a game or multiple games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

and do u know professional baseball players were part of that. But baseball didn't stop. Their careers didn't end. Prohibition leaded up to people being blind due to how they cut the alcohol in their bathtub 

Yes, but baseball provided an appropriate distraction. I can't speak on their behalf, so I don't know for sure.

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Joe dimaggio beat the hell outta his wife from what i understand. He's well respected and a hall of famer 

Well he isn't respected by me anymore in that case. Only if these stories are brought to the front will it have an impact. The effects of alcohol were obvious, but the indirect effects of baseball were not. Nowadays, this would be front-page news. Back then, it was not.

12 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Well he isn't respected by me anymore in that case. Only if these stories are brought to the front will it have an impact. The effects of alcohol were obvious, but the indirect effects of baseball were not. Nowadays, this would be front-page news. Back then, it was not.

Don't listen to guru. Guys an idiot. 

I present facts. And dimaggio is respected by millions 

7 hours ago, SJR89 said:

I was under the belief we would have college football bc of all that you have mentioned above...especially the economic impact the but the reckless nature of the population of the south has put that in jeopardy.....for instance...the big ten may play...and some schools may opt out but they will cancel there OOS games......once again ....the people in the southeast and southwest are asshats......

You are posting a lie Alabama football has not self infected itself with covid.

That was done by a group of Tuscaloosa County High kids who were crazy. Get your facts straight before you post.

I do agree with we have been more reckless in the south with covid19.

50 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

The biggest issue why prohibition went away was the government not getting taxes off liquor sales. Except for the Kennedy family who started its wealth with moonshine whiskey and  inside trading on the stock market.