Best of 2009: Lake Travis vs Don Bosco Prep (NJ)

ChimpGrip

9 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Anyone remember these teams? I certainly do. LT was among the best in Texas and DBP finished #1 in the nation (but would they have beaten STA - who know). Who would have won this game? Being an LT guy, I go LT. 

Also, was that the best DBP team ever? 

4A Lake Travis was arguably as dominant as any 5A team that year and the game results at the end of the year back this up. They would’ve given any team in the nation a solid game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

A ChumpGrip post that is all about Lake Travis? And highly overrates them?

No. Way.

Maybe if you would actually make a post on here you would know the effort behind it but I guess you don't because then you would feel the responsibility to keep the discussion going and your lazy ass rather piggyback on someone else's work then actually put in work yourself

9 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

4A Lake Travis was arguably as dominant as any 5A team that year and the game results at the end of the year back this up. They would’ve given any team in the nation a solid game.

Agreed. Beat 5A state finalist Westlake (who had a great chance to beat Trinity) 42-21 in the regular season. Also beat some very good teams in Steele and Longview. 

16 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Pretty Damn good as well!!

DBP ever wanted to play a Texas team? I stopped keeping up with the National HS FB scene years ago. Also, what’s the current state of the DBP program? Still fielding a dominant defense? Thought I remember seeing on here years ago that Toal retired.

many DBP folks who were around at the start of the Toal era would say 2002 or 2003 were their best teames.  Almost got to play DLS in 2003, a shame Bergen Catholic vetoed that matchup.  2011 was a better squad than 2009, even though they underachieved offensively.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, taojoe said:

many DBP folks who were around at the start of the Toal era would say 2002 or 2003 were their best teames.  Almost got to play DLS in 2003, a shame Bergen Catholic vetoed that matchup.  2011 was a better squad than 2009, even though they underachieved offensively.

Ah the 2011 team was good, remember watching the live stream of their game against Manatee. Defense was physical and disciplined. One of the best I’ve seen, only behind 2015 Katy. 

2011 LT vs 2011 DBP would have been fun. LT had a very good defense and Baker Mayfield led the way on offense. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 2:41 AM, SeaShells21 said:

But 4A sucked and Westlake lost 3 games that year.

So how does dominating a bunch of scrubs prove that they could give any team in the country a solid game?

31 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Saw both 08 and 09 LT when Longview played them. I'd take 08 LT over 09 LT. 

For a long time I believed 2008 LT was...

1. Best of all the LT teams

2. Best team in the state in 2008 (just my opinion - I know and am aware others see it differently) 

3. The best 4A (now known as 5A) team ever.

But sometimes I think 2016 LT was the best in program history. 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:32 PM, taojoe said:

I'd go with 03' as well!!!  Good call Taojoe!

• Thanks 1