Biggest Fail in Playoff History?

ngdawg

On 6/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, ngdawg said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16IbYH8Pmht_oruDfNpMtRMf4RtEKVtR8/view?usp=sharing

Let me set the stage: North Gwinnett at Hillgrove in the State Quarterfinals. North Gwinnett has just taken the lead in the fourth quarter, 35-31, and Hillgrove was just gifted a long pass interference penalty. 26 seconds remain for a chance to advance to the state semifinals. The quarterback drops back...

Tragic.  But not even close to MD v Bosco last year.  MD - #1 team in the nation with the nation's #1 player at QB - up 28-5 in 3Q against a team it handled easily weeks earlier.  Win, and you bag the southern section championship and play for your third straight Natty.  Lose, and, well.....  It just does not get any worse than that.

Just now, MD87 said:

Tragic.  But not even close to MD v Bosco last year.  MD - #1 team in the nation with the nation's #1 player at QB - up 28-5 in 3Q against a team it handled easily weeks earlier.  Win, and you bag the southern section championship and play for your third straight Natty.  Lose, and, well.....  It just does not get any worse than that.

Oh yeah, Mater Dei collapsed. The only reason I included that clip was because the guy dropped the wide open pass. 28-5 to 28-39 is not something a top team in the nation does. Bosco deserved that win through and through that night. What an effort to not give up and come back from 23 down to win the section championship. 

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Oh yeah, Mater Dei collapsed. The only reason I included that clip was because the guy dropped the wide open pass. 28-5 to 28-39 is not something a top team in the nation does. Bosco deserved that win through and through that night. What an effort to not give up and come back from 23 down to win the section championship. 

I detest Bosco with every fiber of my being, but I am in awe of the fact that they did not give up.  That MD team handled them easily a few weeks earlier, humbled a team in SFA that had more talent than Bosco's ever had, was embarrassing them in the first half...and yet somehow were crazy enough to think they could actually win that game.  Truly astounding, and HIGH SCHOOL KIDS did this!  Yes, had Davies and Kobah been healthy enough to play the 2nd half, it never would have happened, but it did, and I have to - as much as I hate it - tip my hat to them.  No mercy now, though.  MD will stomp a mud hole in Bosco both games this year.  (If there is a year - please, God!!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD87 said:

It’s what I always tell young men...goofing around for 12 minute can lead to a lifetime of suffering...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

It’s what I always tell young men...goofing around for 12 minute can lead to a lifetime of suffering...

Every minute counts. I would have thought many teams would have learned this by now. In fact, on a more specific level, every play counts. Plano East vs. John Tyler 1994 should have taught everyone that.

18 hours ago, MD87 said:

I wonder if the 27-point loss to Los Al in the 2002 CIF Title game at Angel Stadium, is another one that is very painful for the MD community, or the 1997 loss to LB Poly at the Coliseum, it was a close one, 28-25, Herman Ho-Ching was the RB for Poly in that game.

3 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I wonder if the 27-point loss to Los Al in the 2002 CIF Title game at Angel Stadium, is another one that is very painful for the MD community, or the 1997 loss to LB Poly at the Coliseum, it was a close one, 28-25, Herman Ho-Ching was the RB for Poly in that game.

Poly in '97 is up there, for sure.  I remember the LA Times article highlighting the fact that Poly fans popped MD's red and white balloon arch after the game, LOL!  MD returned the favor next year, though (at least as it concerns the outcome of the game; not aware of MD popping any Poly balloons...)

19 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

As can letting your QB call ALL of his plays, all the time.  Yes, BY is arguably the best QB MD has ever had, but a few well-placed calls from the sidelines that game and it could have been a completely different outcome.