Georgia folks (Football question)

Nolebull813

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

Of course what you say is certainly possible.  It’s basically restating my point in more general terms.

I’m not close enough to the issue to make a more definitive statement.  I was simply cautioning against underestimating how petty people can be.

Alright, thank you. The discussion that went on previously almost gave the impression that the charges against Rush were partially made-up, but the ethics committee made the correct decision with no outside influence or bias. Thanks again for clarifying.

@HawgGoneIt seems like I remember from years past that having a player live with a coach was a big no-no.  I can't document it, but there is a memory floating around in the ever increasing cobwebs of my mind that was an issue.

I definitely have questions about the kids transferring to Valdosta.  The GHSA constitution specifically prohibits that.  I wonder if it is because it has been a year since Rush coached at CC?

1.72 A student athlete transferring from one school to another shall be ruled ineligible for one year if it is proven that:

(a) The coach of the receiving school coached an out-of-school team or all-star team on which the athlete played prior to the transfer; OR

(b) The coach at the receiving school acted as a private athletic instructor for the transferring athlete, regardless of whether the coach was paid for his services and/or expertise; OR

(c) The student participated in a sports camp or clinic run by a member school and/or its coach(es).

(d) The player who played for a coach at one school (GHSA member or non-member) and subsequently followed that coach when he/she moved to a GHSA school or changed schools within the GHSA membership. (This is not applicable to dependent children of the coach.) **emphasis is mine**

(e) The situations cited in this by-law are considered to be violations even if a bona fide move has occurred,and the hardship appeal procedures are available for the demonstration that undue influence has not occurred.

7 hours ago, Fred said:

@HawgGoneIt seems like I remember from years past that having a player live with a coach was a big no-no.  I can't document it, but there is a memory floating around in the ever increasing cobwebs of my mind that was an issue.

I definitely have questions about the kids transferring to Valdosta.  The GHSA constitution specifically prohibits that.  I wonder if it is because it has been a year since Rush coached at CC?

1.72 A student athlete transferring from one school to another shall be ruled ineligible for one year if it is proven that:

(a) The coach of the receiving school coached an out-of-school team or all-star team on which the athlete played prior to the transfer; OR

(b) The coach at the receiving school acted as a private athletic instructor for the transferring athlete, regardless of whether the coach was paid for his services and/or expertise; OR

(c) The student participated in a sports camp or clinic run by a member school and/or its coach(es).

(d) The player who played for a coach at one school (GHSA member or non-member) and subsequently followed that coach when he/she moved to a GHSA school or changed schools within the GHSA membership. (This is not applicable to dependent children of the coach.) **emphasis is mine**

(e) The situations cited in this by-law are considered to be violations even if a bona fide move has occurred,and the hardship appeal procedures are available for the demonstration that undue influence has not occurred.

I can see where having kids live with a coach could be an issue if they're moving from out of district or something. In the situation that I knew of, the kid was local and was catching a really bad deal with no parent available. Rush practically adopted the kid, did get papers to be legal guardian, which may be what made that situation legal in the eyes of the GHSA as he then was a dependent of Rush. It can't be understated how much they did for that young man, including making sure he got off to college at a JC in Mississippi. 

This rule is partially why some people think none of those players will ever see the field for Valdosta. Idk about how the GHSA may rule on apparent complaints about that along the lines of that rule. 

Apparently Rush and the Valdosta AD think they are in the clear. I have no idea. The GHSA often seems pretty squirrely on rulings about transfers in my own personal opinion. 

7 hours ago, Fred said:

Must be why Grayson immediately parted ways with KWatt, and you adamently defended his non-coaching status.

As long as the Valdosta athletic department completes the required paperwork it will be up to the GHSA to make a ruling.

48 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Must be why Grayson immediately parted ways with KWatt, and you adamently defended his non-coaching status.

As long as the Valdosta athletic department completes the required paperwork it will be up to the GHSA to make a ruling.

Not trying to be funny but reasonably sure the Valdosta AD has limited experience in this area. I am aware of a situation where a Valdosta Coach ( non football) pitched a fit when he found out that a former coach left and went to a private school and attempted to get one of his former players to follow. I would be reasonably sure that Rush would most likely be the guiding hand in this matter. Gambling with a young mans playing time is and should be a careful proposition.

3 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

If I remember correctly, he didn't step away until his son graduated in 19

The one year hiatus where Rush didn't coach, or even the "job" at USAA may be a loophole in that rule. Seems like a bit of a grey are in there with the wording about changing schools within the GHSA. He had a pitstop in between "kind of." 

Not sure if he was technically every under contract with USAA, so that could be immaterial. 

10 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

If you're referring to the whole 2016 scandal, then you're a little off. He still hung around the program until his son graduated in 2019. 

As a "parent". I'm referring to him "coaching". I know he was still in the program and played an active role, as well. It's tongue in cheek because the Grayson folks swear there was nothing to see in 2016.

16 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I don't believe Kenyatta coached any of these kids past the middle school level.  By the way, you know he helped some Colquitt County kids don't you?

17 hours ago, Fred said:

I don't believe Kenyatta coached any of these kids past the middle school level.  By the way, you know he helped some Colquitt County kids don't you?

I'm referring to his camps and recruiting services. Does that not fall under those particular by laws or is there a loophole Grayson exploited? Or is that the reason for telling Kenyatta he had to distance himself from team activities?

Who cares if he helped some Colquitt kids get their Twitter tapes seen by a few coaches? It's unrelated because they weren't wearing Grayson uniforms while receiving those recruiting services from Kenyatta.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, CCBlackhatter said:

5 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I'm referring to his camps and recruiting services. Does that not fall under those particular by laws or is there a loophole Grayson exploited? Or is that the reason for telling Kenyatta he had to distance himself from team activities?

Who cares if he helped some Colquitt kids get their Twitter tapes seen by a few coaches? It's unrelated because they weren't wearing Grayson uniforms while receiving those recruiting services from Kenyatta.

I don't know how the camps were structured.  Seems like he was running those while fronting for Under Armour as an employee.  I have no idea how is perceived but it must have been okay with GHSA because you better believe his actions were scrutinized under a microscope.

Oh I get it.  If he was helping a Colquitt kid it was just getting Twitter tapes seen by a few coaches but if it was Grayson he was actively recruiting and interfering.  Speak out of both sides of your mouth much?  You can't have it both ways.  If his helping Grayson kids was wrong then him helping others including CC kids was wrong.  If all he was doing what just getting Twitter tapes seen by a few coaches then it should be no big deal if he was doing it for CC or for Grayson.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1