COVID and the 2020 football season

Bodysurf

You have to unpack the numbers a little. Texas is no surprise as im sure Florida schools will have high numbers as well due to the lack of leadership by their governors. Those 2 state basically refused to shut down so its not surprising. With the Clemson players seeing that they are athletes and in top physical form do you actually believed they stay inside and from around others during quarantine? Also they just did a march surrounded by students and people from all around the country. Unless they have underlying health conditions those players are just carriers of the virus which is fine as long as they don't go around anyone with a compromised immune system. Just seen a video of Justin fields in a car with random Ohio state students just for a youtube video. Which makes me question his maturity and knowledge of the virus but also made me question where was the discipline and coaching that claimed the players would only go from practice back to their dorms. Im sure his parents and coaches have said something to him about it but hell that's after the fact.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

A lot of people just don't care about the coronavirus anymore. You also have a lot of people who are afraid to get tested, and the test really ain't bad either. But yeah, it's crazy how you have people who've had the coronavirus tell others how not to get it, but it just goes in one ear and out the other because they feel as if it won't happen to them.

Crazy but true story about the testing... since the testing has been opened up for all for free, symptoms or not... A new issue has arisen. They pretty much tell you to quarantine until your results come back. Some people are then finding that their jobs are no longer there when they get back with the paperwork. 

I know a couple of people that upon returning to work at a factory job with the paperwork saying they were quarantined for a couple of days and their results came back negative, they were then handed separation notices. One of them appealed to higher management and got the job back but now they're catching a hard time from the managers they work under directly. Another just took the opportunity to look for other work. 

With a volatile job market and many unemployed looking for work, people are afraid to lose their job over quarantine orders from a voluntary test. 

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_820d013a-b32c-11ea-a137-23f5837dbe52.html

At least 30 of LSU's 115 players have been quarantined because they tested positive for COVID-19, according to Sports Illustrated, or because they had contact with a player who tested positive.

The cases are the first since the football program began voluntary workouts on June 9, and the players entered a thorough process the athletic department organized before the team returned to campus.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Crazy but true story about the testing... since the testing has been opened up for all for free, symptoms or not... A new issue has arisen. They pretty much tell you to quarantine until your results come back. Some people are then finding that their jobs are no longer there when they get back with the paperwork. 

I know a couple of people that upon returning to work at a factory job with the paperwork saying they were quarantined for a couple of days and their results came back negative, they were then handed separation notices. One of them appealed to higher management and got the job back but now they're catching a hard time from the managers they work under directly. Another just took the opportunity to look for other work. 

With a volatile job market and many unemployed looking for work, people are afraid to lose their job over quarantine orders from a voluntary test. 

So with that being said, they "fear" getting a test because of the possible after effects in other areas of their lives? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Crazy times. If I could stay the same age I am now, I'd love to fast forward past 2020 to 2021. This year has been wild. Australia burning, covid 19, murder hornets, riots, Colquitt kids transferring to Valdosta, another dose of covid 19...

What next? 

More kids transferring to....     Valdosta?

giphy.gif

bgw

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, Ga96 said:

If there is no season its the fault of the idiots who refused to stay home and still refuse to wear mask. All the research is showing is all we had to do is get close to 100% cooperation for about 2 full months and there wouldn't be a second wave but here we are land of the free and ignorant.

Im mean the President did say it was just going to wash over like the flu.

• Haha 1

If one player has it and is asymptomatic, then his household probably all have it and are asymptomatic or have an easy time with it, but, if that one player infects some other kid who then takes it home to a mom, dad or grandparent with copd or some other medical issues, then the situation is bad suddenly. 

Florida is reclosing bars and places because so many young people are transmitting the virus, which then in turn puts higher risk people at risk of infection. Same type issue with players transmitting it between each other. 

• Like 1

The solution in the short term is the same as it has ways been. Social distancing and hoping for the best with the virus hopefully weakening as it mutates between transmissions. 

Non-essential activities probably end up needing to be limited heavily, etc. until a vaccine or some other breakthrough happens. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Having had the benefit of living in Italy when this all started and then coming back to the US, it's been interesting to see how both countries handled it considering the outbreak is mostly contained in Europe and they are starting to return to normal while the US is still seeing lots of cases. The Continental Europeans cracked down much harder and had a consistent national policy. For both better and worse Americans are a different breed than Europeans and would not have put up with a lot of measures that were put in place. Lacking a better way of describing it I feel like I got a brief taste of what it was like living in a Fascist country or Warsaw Pact country. Every time you left home you had to have an official paper stating your purpose or face arrest. You had to fill out a new one for every trip you took, even if you were going to the grocery store at the end of the block. Only one member of the household was permitted to leave at a time and the same person had to leave every time. All restaurant services except delivery were stopped and only pharmacies and grocery stores were allowed to stay open, everything else closed as non-essential businesses. All non-essential travel was banned (with a very strict definition of non-essential) with checkpoints set up to stop travelers from going between regions. Leaving your home to go for a walk or go to the park was forbidden. The army was in the streets stopping people and checking their papers.

We are such a divided country that if the Italian-style measures were implemented half of the country would claim that Trump was trying to take over in a military coup and the other half would claim that it was the deep state or something like that. Some governors would have flat out refused to implement national directives out of spite. I kept waiting for at least a ban on interstate air travel, which would have limited the spread of the virus greatly, but it never came. US government is also much more decentralized and there are major constitutional hangups to banning interstate travel and/or deploying the military to force compliance that simply don't exist in Europe. Coupled with the size of the country it really makes nationwide regulations problematic as you don't need to put Wyoming under the same restrictions as NYC. The virus has also highlighted the fact that many US states are now exercising a level of sovereignty independent of the federal government not seen since 1865. 

As an interesting aside I just saw Italian officials confirmed COVID was present in Milan and Turin by December 19th, a full 6 weeks before the first official case. I would assume the virus has been in the US just as long. I myself got very sick for about five days within two weeks of returning to Italy after spending Christmas with my family. I didn't think anything of it at the time but as time goes on the more I think I may have had the virus.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

Sadly the writing is on the wall. It is getting hard to stay optimistic about having a football season. In all the football hotbeds such as Texas, Cali, Florida and the South the COVID numbers are increasing faster than ever. 

There is no way we have a season.  I just sadly don't see it.  With how fast this current wave is spreading?  No way homie. 

• Like 2