MaxPreps Preseason Top 100 2020

ngdawg

1 minute ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I feel this is a good question, I was wondering if I should make it a thread, discussion topic, or just ask here, in the entire history of High School Football national titles, national championships, how many times has a public school won it compared to private/parochial schools? I would assume private/parochical schools, have won it more times than public, like what is the number comparison.

I’ll let someone else answer with the knowledge, but there’s 7 polls so there’s years that 2,3,4 teams win the Championship 

8 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I feel this is a good question, I was wondering if I should make it a thread, discussion topic, or just ask here, in the entire history of High School Football national titles, national championships, how many times has a public school won it compared to private/parochial schools? I would assume private/parochical schools, have won it more times than public, like what is the number comparison.

If you would like, I can go to Wikipedia and manually count based on each year's results. The only problem is that it will take some time. Is that alright?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

If you would like, I can go to Wikipedia and manually count based on each year's results. The only problem is that it will take some time. Is that alright?

I can be patient for that, it won't shock me if the majority of the time, it has been private/parochial schools, or just that private/parochial schools, have a higher number of winning national titles in HS football than public schools do.

58 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I can be patient for that, it won't shock me if the majority of the time, it has been private/parochial schools, or just that private/parochial schools, have a higher number of winning national titles in HS football than public schools do.

The results are in!

Private National Championships: 35

Public National Championships: 107

63 public schools have won a national championship, only 15 public have. However, in the past decade, private schools have dominated the high school national champion landscape. Nowadays, prep schools and private schools are taking over. However, it never used that way in the past. Only up until the 1990s and onwards have prep schools shown up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

The results are in!

Private National Championships: 35

Public National Championships: 107

63 public schools have won a national championship, only 15 public have. However, in the past decade, private schools have dominated the high school national champion landscape. Nowadays, prep schools and private schools are taking over. However, it never used that way in the past. Only up until the 1990s and onwards have prep schools shown up.

So in modern times, like the past 30 or 40 years, it has mostly been private/parochial schools.

Like since 1980 or 1990.

In the last 5 or 6 years, it's been almost completely dominated by prep schools. If this continues, public schools will have no chance at winning a national title even if they go undefeated, simply because there is a notion that prep schools are always superior to public schools. This change may not be for the better in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

Mostly thanks to De La Salle. And yes I would say that statement is somewhat correct.

Yeah because their iconic streak started in the early 90's, which was around the same time, MD begun their national powerhouse dynasty under Rollinson. Another private/parochial school. They probably had similar type of coaching and training, alumni and community support, that DLS has.

2 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Yeah because their iconic streak started in the early 90's, which was around the same time, MD begun their national powerhouse dynasty under Rollinson.

But here's food for thought. The NUMBER of private schools and public schools winning national championships in the past 30 years in almost equal. But the AMOUNT OF CHAMPIONSHIPS each private school has outnumbers that of public schools. There is more variety among public schools as to who wins. Heck, even the school with the most national championships in history is a public school (Washington High School from Massillon, OH).

19 hours ago, ngdawg said:

In the last 5 or 6 years, it's been almost completely dominated by prep schools. If this continues, public schools will have no chance at winning a national title even if they go undefeated, simply because there is a notion that prep schools are always superior to public schools. This change may not be for the better in my opinion.

They do have a chance , they can man up and play other MNC contenders oos , but if the coach chooses to schedule 13 cupcakes then that’s on the coach 

like the Great @GardenStateBaller once said

To be the Best you gotta play the best

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

They do have a chance , they can man up and play other MNC contenders oos , but if the coach chooses to schedule 13 cupcakes then that’s on the coach 

like the Great @GardenStateBaller once said

To be the Best you gotta play the best

Let's be real here: if a team is a serious contender for a state or national championship, they will schedule tougher teams. This is for two reasons: the first is strength of schedule of course, and the second is the to prepare the team to face stronger teams in the playoffs. A team that plays "cupcakes" all year will not be able to survive in the playoffs (ahem McEachern). Teams do not become national powerhouses by beating 10 under .500 opponents, they become recognized by beating other powerhouses. My point is that if a team feels that they are well equipped for a state championship run or even a national championship run, they WILL schedule tougher teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Of late teams like MV (DBP), MC (DBP/STA), Cen10AZ (STA), Marietta (SJP) Liberty NV (BG), DV (SJC), Mentor/Cass (Ed’s), and Lakeland/Miramar/Venice (STA) have all beaten power privates. The one and only way for relevant pubs to never ever win another MNC again would be to stop scheduling these nationally-ranked teams. To be the best, one must beat the best. 

Very true, I discussed the scheduling in the post right above yours. I just feel that if it came down to two teams, one public and one private, both with same accolades, the MNC would go to the private school over the public school simply because of bias. This is just my view, I expect people to disagree.

36 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I beg to differ. Since 2010, five publics have earned a MNC or share thereof (S. Panola, BTW, Katy, CQ, NS). However, I do see SOS being a major MNC criteria going fwd, which would clearly benefit the top privates, who continue to schedule elite OOS teams on an annual basis. 

The only problem I see with that is that top public teams will need to schedule with the very less amount of private powerhouses nationwide, which means that privates will have to dump some easy games on their schedule to fit in the great public schools. Take Mater Dei for example. They played Villa Park, Orange Lutheran, and Santa Margarita in their 2019 schedule. In order for public schools to have a chance, Mater Dei needs to be willing to dump these easy games and schedule some national public powerhouses, like North Shore for example. However, if this is required by Cali football region rules, then I take back everything I just stated. How do you suggest top public schools schedule their games when there are only 10 games that each private school can play, and the privates are already scheduling with other privates? I'm genuinely curious.

46 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

The only problem I see with that is that top public teams will need to schedule with the very less amount of private powerhouses nationwide, which means that privates will have to dump some easy games on their schedule to fit in the great public schools. Take Mater Dei for example. They played Villa Park, Orange Lutheran, and Santa Margarita in their 2019 schedule. In order for public schools to have a chance, Mater Dei needs to be willing to dump these easy games and schedule some national public powerhouses, like North Shore for example. However, if this is required by Cali football region rules, then I take back everything I just stated. How do you suggest top public schools schedule their games when there are only 10 games that each private school can play, and the privates are already scheduling with other privates? I'm genuinely curious.

Trust us if a public school is good enough, us Privates would be foaming at the mouth the knock that Pubelic school off their pedestal 

only one reason why you won’t see more Pubs vs privates and it ain’t the Catholic’s fault 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

All you need is one significant OOS win to stay in the MNC mix. DV is a perfect example the last two seasons scheduling SJC and SFA. Running the table in TX and beating those OOS teams automatically gets them in contention. Without those private wins, the road gets a bit tougher, and allows other outside teams to vie for #1.

With regards to MD, beating Cen10AZ, SFA and SJC in 2018 definitely helped their cause in winning the MNC even with two losses*, which had never been accomplished in the modern era of hsfb. They could encounter problems in this area in 2020 with West UT being it’s only OOS foe. However, if they beat SJB twice, who beat MC, ESL and DFB during the regular season, they’ll benefit directly from SJBs formidable OOS wins. 

This works out well for Mater Dei, because just by beating SJB twice, they can "claim" victory over MC, ESL, and DFB, even though they never played them. Seems like SJB is "labor" and MD is "management". Of course, correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly. Also, there are SO MANY ACRONYMS.

35 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

This works out well for Mater Dei, because just by beating SJB twice, they can "claim" victory over MC, ESL, and DFB, even though they never played them. Seems like SJB is "labor" and MD is "management". Of course, correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly. Also, there are SO MANY ACRONYMS.

Why in the Hell would DFB take a bus all the way to Cali to get a MudHole stomped in them, when we’ll gladly give that ass kicking and half the travel distance 

#i95 

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, ngdawg said:

But here's food for thought. The NUMBER of private schools and public schools winning national championships in the past 30 years in almost equal. But the AMOUNT OF CHAMPIONSHIPS each private school has outnumbers that of public schools. There is more variety among public schools as to who wins. Heck, even the school with the most national championships in history is a public school (Washington High School from Massillon, OH).

Even when MD had their near 2-decade title drought, and Bosco was mediocre before Negro arrived, no California public school was able to win a National Title, that's disappointing. 

1 minute ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Even when MD had their near 2-decade title drought, and Bosco was mediocre before Negro arrived, no California public school was able to win a National Title, that's disappointing. 

California is owned by private schools at the moment in terms of football. I don't see a public team winning from California in the near future with Mater Dei and St. John Bosco around.

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

California is owned by private schools at the moment in terms of football. I don't see a public team winning from California in the near future with Mater Dei and St. John Bosco around.

I also should have added, even when DLS's winning streak came to an end in 2004, there was still no California public school that won a national title in California either, and as I added before, MD had a title drought that lasted close to 20 years until 2017, Bosco was mediocre until Negro arrived.

I'd have to say, California public schools don't get as much alumni and community support as the private/parochial schools do, that has to be a major reason why no California public school has won a national title during those years that DLS streak ended, and when MD and Bosco were average to below average.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

All you need is one significant OOS win to stay in the MNC mix. DV is a perfect example the last two seasons scheduling SJC and SFA. Running the table in TX and beating those OOS teams automatically gets them in contention. Without those private wins, the road gets a bit tougher, and allows other outside teams to vie for #1.

With regards to MD, beating Cen10AZ, SFA and SJC in 2018 definitely helped their cause in winning the MNC even with two losses*, which had never been accomplished in the modern era of hsfb. They could encounter problems in this area in 2020 with West UT being it’s only OOS foe. However, if they beat SJB twice, who beat MC, ESL and DFB during the regular season, they’ll benefit directly from SJBs formidable OOS wins. 

This will probably not sit well with Californians.

Texas would be able to claim beneficial domination over Centennial, St. John Bosco, Mater Dei and the entire Trinity league while California can claim a benefit over Tyler, Spring, Something Something Tech, and several other schools with 4 numbers in their rankings (#0,000).