California High School Football

Jerry

2 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

The problem with what you're saying is in 2014 Mater Dei was just a normal good football team. This was before a time when they were getting top level transfers from all over the state and country. To think C10 has any chance of beating this new version of Mater Dei football is laughable. I tuned into the game the past couple season in hopes of a good contest only to watch running clocks.  

Rollo blowing up the program after the 2011 season, when MD missed the playoffs for the first time since 1986, that was one of the major turning points that led to MD becoming a National PowerHouse again in football under Rollo. 

I also like to feel, the 3rd straight loss to Servite was another factor that led to Rollo making major changes to the program, since he is not used to losing to Servite.

And then, the arrival of Bru McCoy and JT Daniels, the St. Brown brothers, that made MD become a more attractive destination for high quality transfers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I would assume the 3rd straight loss to Servite was another factor that led to Rollo making major changes to the program, since he is not used to losing to Servite.

MD fan thinks their team has always dominated SoCal. Teams like C10, MV, LBP and Servite were able to compete with them most seasons. Ever since Rollo sold his soul the games aren't the least bit competitive with anyone other than SJB. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

MD fan thinks their team has always dominated SoCal. Teams like C10, MV, LBP and Servite were able to compete with them most seasons. Ever since Rollo sold his soul the games aren't the least bit competitive with anyone other than SJB. 

Ya, it's just that unfortunately, none of those teams were able to win a National Title or finish the season ranked number 1 in the nation, disappoints me because I would love to see a public school in California achieve that feat.

Even when DLS's winning streak came to an end in 2004, and when MD had a title drought that lasted for close to 20 years, and when Bosco was mediocre before Negro arrived, it's a shock and a shame that not a single California public school was able to win a National Title during those years.

3 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Ya, it's just that unfortunately, none of those teams were able to win a National Title or finish the season ranked number 1 in the nation, disappoints me because I would love to see a public school in California achieve that feat.

Even when DLS's winning streak came to an end in 2004, and when MD had a title drought that lasted for close to 20 years, and when Bosco was mediocre before Negro arrived, it's a shock and a shame that not a single California public school was able to win a National Title during those years.

LBP had a chance in 2008 but Grant was able to put a nail in that coffin. That was one of the most hard hitting football games I've ever witnessed. Both teams were huge and vicious. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

LBP had a chance in 2008 but Grant was able to put a nail in that coffin. That was one of the most hard hitting football games I've ever witnessed. Both teams were huge and vicious. 

I believe Grant is a public school, yet when they beat Poly that year, they didn't get a national title, it's also a reminder that LB Poly is 0-2 in the State title game since it was reinstated in 2006 and they lost to teams from Folsom's league, I like to feel that Poly lost those games themselves, a lot more than their opponent beat them, as in, they played well for most of the game until they collapsed in the 4th quarter. Poly basically choked.

The 2004 Mission Viejo team, which was Mark Sanchez's senior year, another public school, I believe most consider that to be the best team in Missions history, or the best in Bob Johnson's coaching career. I believe they finished ranked number 2 in the nation. 

• Like 3

Folsom guy, do not worry. The Monarchs have no interest in ever playing something something trails step children, you are safe inside your prison walls. 

Also, if you’re going to bat for programs like Cen10 because they are at a disadvantage (comical, I personally know multiple people that commuted a ways to go to Centennial, haven’t forgotten about those apartments either) then why wont you play them? Don’t worry about MD, worry about the multiple public schools in state that are much better than you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Folsom guy, do not worry. The Monarchs have no interest in ever playing something something trails step children, you are safe inside your prison walls. 

Also, if you’re going to bat for programs like Cen10 because they are at a disadvantage (comical, I personally know multiple people that commuted a ways to go to Centennial, haven’t forgotten about those apartments either) then why wont you play them? Don’t worry about MD, worry about the multiple public schools in state that are much better than you.

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve Nick. I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare 2014 Mater Dei to the past 3 seasons. 2014 Mater Dei would get curb stomped by the new transfer train we're seeing year and year out. Just stating obvious facts. If MD and Bosco played by the same set of rules as publics the games would be much more competitive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve Nick. I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare 2014 Mater Dei to the past 3 seasons. 2014 Mater Dei would get curb stomped by the new transfer train we're seeing year and year out. Just stating obvious facts. If MD and Bosco played by the same set of rules as publics the games would be much more competitive. 

Fair enough that’s my bad sir! & I do agree that it is more difficult to transfer into a public school but I’m also well aware of some of the things the more elite public’s have done to get players to play there. I still think MD Cen10 is going to be competitive, MD will have a brand new left tackle trying to block the top player in the country Korey Foreman. I hope you tune in!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

MD team I played on had 6 transfer Starters on defense alone. That’s was 20 years ago...

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Fair enough that’s my bad sir! & I do agree that it is more difficult to transfer into a public school but I’m also well aware of some of the things the more elite public’s have done to get players to play there. I still think MD Cen10 is going to be competitive, MD will have a brand new left tackle trying to block the top player in the country Korey Foreman. I hope you tune in!

I just hope there's a game... 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Y'all gotta beef them up to take on those  monsters that MD and SJB has.  Thanks.

Cen10 rarely has linemen anywhere near the size of their most capable opponents.  In the first game against IMG I think they gave up almost 35lbs per guy across the front on both sides.  The disparity is increasing when it comes to MD/SJB. It simply means they have to play mistake free and ratchet the tempo up as fast as the refs allow. 

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 8:11 PM, Eddyr2 said:

MD team I played on had 6 transfer Starters on defense alone. That’s was 20 years ago...

Yes.  Transfers are not new.  More common?  Of course.  But not new.  There was this guy Marinovich who transferred out when I was there almost 35 YEARS ago...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

Yes.  Transfers are not new.  More common?  Of course.  But not new.  There was this guy Marinovich who transferred out when I was there almost 35 YEARS ago...

Turns out when you have one of the prestigious high school in the nation, people try to send there kids there

12 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Turns out when you have one of the prestigious high school in the nation, people try to send there kids there

It’s not like we’re the top HS in America for athletes or have elite academics & facilities. Families sending or transferring their kids to a school that consistently places students in the Ivy League while also having one of the most diverse student bodies at a private school in the state? No way it’s all about football! 

B0E208F7-6556-45CA-A899-2DAB254F9567.jpeg

88B48CCF-9E23-4EA5-8EFE-51319FDBEC5E.png

FE5796C8-D38D-4DF1-97C3-F9C959201D43.png

45A1285D-F577-4721-81AD-DFFDD059146F.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

It’s not like we’re the top HS in America for athletes or have elite academics & facilities. Families sending or transferring their kids to a school that consistently places students in the Ivy League while also having one of the most diverse student bodies at a private school in the state? No way it’s all about football! 

B0E208F7-6556-45CA-A899-2DAB254F9567.jpeg

88B48CCF-9E23-4EA5-8EFE-51319FDBEC5E.png

FE5796C8-D38D-4DF1-97C3-F9C959201D43.png

45A1285D-F577-4721-81AD-DFFDD059146F.png

You don’t need to pull the virtues card for everyone to understand that Mater Dei is truly a fine institution.  All the above information looks pretty much the same from year to year, regardless of the success of the football team.  None of it explains the recent significant improvement in the capability of the football program.

There are factors that contribute to the recent successes that don’t get discussed, and certainly not advertised.

But, why argue or try to rationalize it?MD/SJB have found ways to separate football capability relative to in state competitors, to a level heretofore unseen.  CIF hasn’t deemed the success as having been attained by inappropriate means, so just rejoice in it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Exactly right.  LeRon Ellis was a classmate of mine.  He moved from Oregon to play at MD because he wanted to play for the best.  Nobody "recruited" him.  Success breeds success, and as long as the CIF rules allow, kids will do it.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Even though it's a public school, I know that LB Poly has by some magazines, ranked their entire athletic program, the number 1 in America, I believe there track and field program is the most decorated program of all of their sports, the one they have won the most rings for, speaking of LeRon Ellis.

He is one of the 3 MD players in the McKnight era, out of the whole 9, to have lasted a full season in the NBA.

Even though I've said it many times already, it is a shock that it took over 30 years for MD to produce a long-term NBA player, because it looks like Stanley Johnson is finally their first long-term NBA player, McKnight was already like in his 30th season by the time Stanley Johnson arrived at. MD

18 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Exactly right.  LeRon Ellis was a classmate of mine.  He moved from Oregon to play at MD because he wanted to play for the best.  Nobody "recruited" him.  Success breeds success, and as long as the CIF rules allow, kids will do it.  

LeRon Ellis was also a bad ass water polo player. No joke

• Haha 1