2006 Flashback: JT Curtis vs Rush Propst

RedZone

53 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Serious question: What would the complaint be? 

And I may be a  bit naive pertaining to this, but I never knew how much coaches don't like that man. Why tho? 

I think if I were to file a complaint based on that tweet, it would have to be pretty direct. You would have to complain that the intent was to recruit kids to play football at Valdosta. Then, you would have to cover the base that he may have intended it to be aimed at current Valdosta enrollees by saying.his twitter audience is larger than just Valdosta enrollees. Idk that it would still be anything they would try to look at or not though. 

Hardly any coaches like Rush because he does push the bar. He does the extra things they don't want to do. Calling college after college to pump his kids. He does that while they're taking time off. You'll seldom ever see Rush without a phone against his ear. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think if I were to file a complaint based on that tweet, it would have to be pretty direct. You would have to complain that the intent was to recruit kids to play football at Valdosta. Then, you would have to cover the base that he may have intended it to be aimed at current Valdosta enrollees by saying.his twitter audience is larger than just Valdosta enrollees. Idk that it would still be anything they would try to look at or not though. 

Hardly any coaches like Rush because he does push the bar. He does the extra things they don't want to do. Calling college after college to pump his kids. He does that while they're taking time off. You'll seldom ever see Rush without a phone against his ear. 

Damn. That second statement is powerful. They envy him/dislike him because he's basically going the extra mile compared to them? Yikes. Seems as if you have a lot of coaches in GA or Bama who are okay with being "basic" while he's trying to be......iconic. I think you said something last week that kinda stuck with me, and it was when you said Rogers really doesn't make it his responsibility to get kids into college while Rush made that a priority of his. Rush is a type of cat who wants to win games/championships AND see his kids succeed, and from the outside looking in, he does whatever it takes to see his kids succeed. It's really sad that coaches dislike him because they don't take it seriously as him. If you seen the Last Dance documentary, you'd understand why I compare Rush to MJ in the sense of doing what it takes to be great whereas everyone else (other football coaches) are content with being just good enough. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Damn. That second statement is powerful. They envy him/dislike him because he's basically going the extra mile compared to them? Yikes. Seems as if you have a lot of coaches in GA or Bama who are okay with being "basic" while he's trying to be......iconic. I think you said something last week that kinda stuck with me, and it was when you said Rogers really doesn't make it his responsibility to get kids into college while Rush made that a priority of his. Rush is a type of cat who wants to win games/championships AND see his kids succeed, and from the outside looking in, he does whatever it takes to see his kids succeed. It's really sad that coaches dislike him because they don't take it seriously as him. If you seen the Last Dance documentary, you'd understand why I compare Rush to MJ in the sense of doing what it takes to be great whereas everyone else (other football coaches) are content with being just good enough. 

I can't say for sure that is true about Coach Rogers. It didn't appear to be a priority last season. He of course had a lot of work to do in a short period of time, so, maybe now that he has had time to settle in he does concentrate a little more on that stuff. 

I'd say we got spoiled with Rush as far as that side of things go. Idk if any other coach puts in that type of work for all the kids. Some let a couple of kids that are stars pull in the recruiters and just hope they notice other kids. Some call the recruiters and say, hey, you have to see this kid.

I've heard it likened to selling a house. The recruiters are looking for mansions, so, you can't expect them to come for a 2 bed 1 bath house. Rush was selling all the real estate. Everything from efficiency condos to five star mansions. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

don bosco has never had a team with 5 Alabama commits.

That 2006 Hoover team was a bit of a mystery. Preseason #1, but lost to Curtis and Prattville in the 6A champ game. Prattville was legit back in those days though.

Yeah but that’s a bit regional too.  Hoover also whooped up on Union OK to open that year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oklahoman.com/article/2840563/hoover-ends-unions-home-streak/amp

9 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I can't say for sure that is true about Coach Rogers. It didn't appear to be a priority last season. He of course had a lot of work to do in a short period of time, so, maybe now that he has had time to settle in he does concentrate a little more on that stuff. 

I'd say we got spoiled with Rush as far as that side of things go. Idk if any other coach puts in that type of work for all the kids. Some let a couple of kids that are stars pull in the recruiters and just hope they notice other kids. Some call the recruiters and say, hey, you have to see this kid.

I've heard it likened to selling a house. The recruiters are looking for mansions, so, you can't expect them to come for a 2 bed 1 bath house. Rush was selling all the real estate. Everything from efficiency condos to five star mansions. 

Another way to look at Coach Propst tweet as.... you have to be enrolled to work out... if you not enrolled... no go. Basically walling off “walk ups”, you better believe some kids would like to get in front of Coach Propst considering the buzz generated. 

bgw

22 hours ago, 954gator said:

Yeah but that’s a bit regional too.  Hoover also whooped up on Union OK to open that year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/oklahoman.com/article/2840563/hoover-ends-unions-home-streak/amp

Union was 7-4 in 2006...not one of their better teams.

I think that Hoover team just underachieved. They had the hype, the players and  MTV series.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2006/08/28/aiming-for-perfection

AIMING FOR PERFECTION

HOOVER HIGH, WHICH HAS WON FIVE ALABAMA STATE TITLES IN SIX YEARS, IS THE HOTTEST HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN AMERICA, AND THIS SEASON ITS STRONG-ARMED QB AND PASS-HAPPY OFFENSE ARE LOOKING TO MAKE HISTORY

On 6/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, FootballGuy said:

Reminds me of Feaster during Parkway's brief time in the spotlight.