Valdosta history

Ga96

Just a little education for those who believe the lies about the wildcats.

1. The reason cats racked up the wins was because the city decided to do what millions of idiots around the country around that time refused to do and that was desegregate and that was the beginning of the lies about Valdosta.

Valdosta by desegregating put one of the best all black schools and all white schools together when it came to athletics. This made it very easy for the cats to dominate as you could imagine a team of all white players can not handle a team of multiple races mainly white and black.

Seeing this is what first caused players and families to want their kids to play for the wildcats. On top of that you had 2 chpices " if you were black remain at an all black school and play in a different league" which is like how we have ghsa and gisa or " if you were white stay at your all white school and get destroyed by the wildcats".

The claim about moody air force base is just childish. There is more than one base in Georgia. Also there wasn't crazy military families moving in with stud aathletes. I haven't heard anyone else in the country make that excuse about a military base being in the area of a high school.

Then the crap about holdbacks is ridiculous. Hyder himself was a damn teacher and he did not put up with kids failing he even made them attend summer school to graduate on time.

For the delusional I guess its really hard for those to grasp that one city can have that much talent. For those that don't know Valdosta and Lowndes use to be one in the same due to the growth of the area Valdosta split into 2 the city- Valdosta and the county- Lowndes. What do you think would happen if those schools joined back together ? Its not rocket science. That's exactly what you had in the Valdosta of old and its why Valdosta had a drop in winning plus some questionable hirings and firings. On top of that the cats under Hyder had probably the best coaching staff in high school football history.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/four-questions-with-valdosta-football-historian-sandy-atkins/Q39eOY2xIhIxNDYpOvJ0vN/

One last thing for those who don't know the only reason the packers dont have as much of a winning tradition or championships is because they had Valdosta in their way. Not a packers fan but its the truth. For Lowndes coaching has been in the way and Lowndes isn't that old of a school.

• Thanks 2

It would be nice ce, if the author could update to present day scenario and get some feedback on the current projected direction of the program. 

Considering the current chasm that exists within leadership could very well be the undoing for Valdosta in spite of what I consider a very good albeit a controversial hire. 

bgw

8 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

For about 35 years it was High School football Heaven.  Sounds like something out of a movie.  Nobody did it better for that long  of a period.  Hoover has won 11 titles from 2000-2019 Valdosta like. 

Should still be made into a movie one day. Its odd that teams that finished behind Valdosta during those years have movies but it was also been said Hyder rejected movie producers from making movies. That shouldn't be a problem an we are due a new Football movie. I think we will see some future hoover and Valdosta games. Im sure rush will be calling to schedule as soon as possible.

Very true statements for sure!  The one very thing you did not mention was the conditioning programs.  Bazemore and Hyder had their players in better condition than many teams they played.

Also good call on Colquitt and when you look on it, CC was also a pain in Valdosta's ass more than any other team.  Upset them a few times during the regular seasons, snatched home field from them once or twice when it really matter, and stuck it to them in 1994; twice.

Aztec, lol, yes sometimes it does but I'm going to send you a book to read on Valdosta football "Must Win: A Season of Survival".  Its a really good read!  It tells you the exact same thing GA96 says but in-depth about the coaches, players, and community.  This school is one of a few that, back in the day, set a tone/precedent for many other high school football programs around the country.  When you think of really good public school football on the Grande scale from the 1960's through the  late 90's, Valdosta has to be a top three in mind.  Only a few other public schools came close to the success of Valdosta over the years in terms of state domination; others could be CB West of PA, Katy and Judson of TX, Massilon of OH. 

• Thanks 2

1. I absolutely agree that there should be a documentary/movie detailing the history of the most winningest program in the nation. Like @BUFORDGAWOLVES said, it has to be detailed all the way up until the current day. It's only right.

2. Why is it that we seem to forget about Wright Bazemore? He's the Godfather of all this Valdosta stuff. We seem to talk more about Nick Hyder nowadays. 

3. While we're talking about everything Valdosta, I guess it's confirmed that they're gonna be getting Aaron McGlaughlin (4 star qb/NC State commit). We'll see how that goes. But damn.... Rush wasn't lying when he said he's about to bring Valdosta back to nationa prominence.....but of course, what parent wouldn't want their son playing for him? (Other than those parents who are anti-Rush). 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

1. I absolutely agree that there should be a documentary/movie detailing the history of the most winningest program in the nation. Like @BUFORDGAWOLVES said, it has to be detailed all the way up until the current day. It's only right.

2. Why is it that we seem to forget about Wright Bazemore? He's the Godfather of all this Valdosta stuff. We seem to talk more about Nick Hyder nowadays. 

3. While we're talking about everything Valdosta, I guess it's confirmed that they're gonna be getting Aaron McGlaughlin (4 star qb/NC State commit). We'll see how that goes. But damn.... Rush wasn't lying when he said he's about to bring Valdosta back to nationa prominence.....but of course, what parent wouldn't want their son playing for him? (Other than those parents who are anti-Rush). 

Yep, Dosta FB is blowing  up with the qb transfer, we’ll see. 

Some analysis from the historians in that article present day and going forward would be cool. Interesting to see if Rush can Bridge the chasm between BOE/Super/outgoing principle. 

bgw

• Like 1

There were to my knowledge a few black high schools in Valdosta before desegregation. Dasher, Lowndes Training, Pinevale and Westside. 

Those teams all merged at one point with either Valdosta or Lowndes.  So before desegregation Valdosta high was an all white team and they played only all white teams. 

The original post makes it sound like Valdosta wanted to stay an all white school after desegregation but knew they wouldn’t have Football success.  I don’t think it works like that. 

Every school in the south had to desegregate whether they liked it or not. 

51 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

There were to my knowledge a few black high schools in Valdosta before desegregation. Dasher, Lowndes Training, Pinevale and Westside. 

Those teams all merged at one point with either Valdosta or Lowndes.  So before desegregation Valdosta high was an all white team and they played only all white teams. 

The original post makes it sound like Valdosta wanted to stay an all white school after desegregation but knew they wouldn’t have Football success.  I don’t think it works like that. 

Every school in the south had to desegregate whether they liked it or not. 

That's what you took from that post. I said the blacks schools and the all white schools were winning before they combined. Its also highlighted in the story that I linked. Valdosta was years ahead of the country when it came to desegregation. 

1 hour ago, Ga96 said:

That's what you took from that post. I said the blacks schools and the all white schools were winning before they combined. Its also highlighted in the story that I linked. Valdosta was years ahead of the country when it came to desegregation. 

Who were the powerhouse black team’s from that time? What’s the name of the school and what was the timeframe of their dominance?

6 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Yep, Dosta FB is blowing  up with the qb transfer, we’ll see. 

Some analysis from the historians in that article present day and going forward would be cool. Interesting to see if Rush can Bridge the chasm between BOE/Super/outgoing principle. 

bgw

It depends if the principle, Supt or BOE wants to be the star of the school system. It's easy to see at Colquitt the supt was a control freak and at Hoover the Spain Park controlled BOE was tired of getting their ass kicked by Rush. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

For about 35 years it was High School football Heaven.  Sounds like something out of a movie.  Nobody did it better for that long  of a period.  Hoover has won 11 titles from 2000-2019 Valdosta like. 

Everyone knows that HS football in Alabama is not as good as Georgia which releases Hoover from the conversation. Good for Alabama Georgia “not so much.”

• Thumbs Down 1

19 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Very true statements for sure!  The one very thing you did not mention was the conditioning programs.  Bazemore and Hyder had their players in better condition than many teams they played.

Also good call on Colquitt and when you look on it, CC was also a pain in Valdosta's ass more than any other team.  Upset them a few times during the regular seasons, snatched home field from them once or twice when it really matter, and stuck it to them in 1994; twice.

Aztec, lol, yes sometimes it does but I'm going to send you a book to read on Valdosta football "Must Win: A Season of Survival".  Its a really good read!  It tells you the exact same thing GA96 says but in-depth about the coaches, players, and community.  This school is one of a few that, back in the day, set a tone/precedent for many other high school football programs around the country.  When you think of really good public school football on the Grande scale from the 1960's through the  late 90's, Valdosta has to be a top three in mind.  Only a few other public schools came close to the success of Valdosta over the years in terms of state domination; others could be CB West of PA, Katy and Judson of TX, Massilon of OH. 

Valdosta’s staff during that time was the best in the country, most consistent and could out perform. Conditioning was the same result at Lowndes. Start of the 3rd Qt. Lowndes was blowing them off the ball.

54 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Who were the powerhouse black team’s from that time? What’s the name of the school and what was the timeframe of their dominance?

As you said yourself pinevale you also had im sure playres from the washington street wildcats. My point was due to all those athletes and Valdosta being the first school in that area to desegregate you went from a school winning to a school being basically unbeatable. 

1 hour ago, Ga96 said:

As you said yourself pinevale you also had im sure playres from the washington street wildcats. My point was due to all those athletes and Valdosta being the first school in that area to desegregate you went from a school winning to a school being basically unbeatable. 

Pinevale had a lifetime winning percentage of .654 from 1956-1968.

they weren’t a power in any sense of the word. Could it have been a different team!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

they weren’t a power in any sense of the word. Could it have been a different team!

Now now now nolebull

Don't go be giving Lowndes fans any statistics or facts, they aren't intelligent enough to comprehend it 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Pinevale had some of the best athletes anywhere. Beat the brakes of anything near or far from you there Junior.

32 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Now now now nolebull

Don't go be giving Lowndes fans any statistics or facts, they aren't intelligent enough to comprehend it 

Hey you run out of those free Disney discount tickets on the 1-75 ramp? Anyway I’m hearing some of those scrubs on that Columbia are wanting to come warm the bench.