Drew Brees in Cancelled

Nolebull813

13 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

But it doesn't involve trying to get someone fired?

probably not anymore than folks tried to get Kap fired. 

If your teammates for some reason can't quite catch the ball you throw at them anymore, and/or you start being considered a liability in ticket sales etc... They may cut you. Right? 

Which is why he's on apology tour. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

Maybe it's no good then.  

You shouldn't try to get someone fired because you don't care for their politics, right?

Unless they're a politician. Lol.

I'd say that's true, but, it's always been I think. 

Generally, it's not good business to air your politics, because there is always two or more sides. In this day and time, with the ease of social media and anonymity, anyone can organize anything against anyone because they don't like their politics. Not totally sure this equates to politics exactly, which is another issue with social media and the current state of affairs in our country. Everything tends to suddenly be politicized, and, for sure everybody hardly ever agrees. We end up more or less knowing more about what divides us than what unites us. Even worse than that is any country, entity or whatever can make a quick fake profile and start some movement like that, and so many people are so quick to hop right on.

37 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Anyone remember how much Drew Brees helped the community of New Orleans after the hurricane? Just sayin

No one gives a shit.  Nor about the $5 million he gave Louisiana for Covid.  But utter an opinion about the flag that perhaps a majority of the country holds and the blue checks want you to burn.  Joe Horn has the decency to speak up for Brees.  Michael Thomas - meh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Unless they're a politician. Lol.

[...]

Right. 

That's why I asked. It seems like cancel culture often winds up in someone getting fired.

It seems like we're in a new McCarthyism. We can try to blacklist a guy for kneeling on the sidelines and fire a guy for tweeting "All lives matter."  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Right. 

That's why I asked. It seems like cancel culture often winds up in someone getting fired.

It seems like we're in a new McCarthyism. We can try to blacklist a guy for kneeling on the sidelines and fire a guy for Tweeting "All lives matter."  

It's the new culture I guess. Idk. I think I start learning what my grandaddy meant when he said he couldn't understand the stuff we did. 

We are in a time when political signs don't just say Vote So and So. They say things now like Vote So and So "Make the Libs cry again" 

Or A Vote For The G.O.P. is a vote for the Government Of Putin. 

We are on some next level shit. Hahaha. I laugh to keep from crying. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's the new culture I guess. [...] I laugh to keep from crying. 

I think you're right. It's a culture driven by social media, where the truth of the matter is determined by the response on Twitter the next day and the biggest celebrities are people in their teens and twenties who play video games and put on makeup. 

It is either a hilarious time or a very sad one. Maybe we can choose which. Or maybe Twitter will decide for us. 

7 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I think you're right. It's a culture driven by social media, where the truth of the matter is determined by the response on Twitter the next day and the biggest celebrities are people in their teens and twenties who play video games and put on makeup. 

It is either a hilarious time or a very sad one. Maybe we can choose which. Or maybe Twitter will decide for us. 

I think there is a chance we can choose which one. 

Sadly, others will let Twitter decide for them. 

On a serious note, not that I wasn't serious there already, it definitely seems crazy what we count as a star now. Seems like we could have or should have seen all of this coming when we were getting sold on "reality t.v." and people actually thought it was straight up. Today's stars came out of that platform, and tomorrow's stars will come out of even more ridiculous places like tik tok, Instagram, snap chat and Twitter. How many views can you get? What do you have to do to get them? Can you turn it into a following? Can you then profit from it? Etc. Etc. 

You should never cave to the mob. Never. Because when you do, you get the backlash anyways, and you lose your sense of integrity and pride for what you stand for. 

Drew Brees will still be criticized by the mob, and be known for caving on his own beliefs and principles because he was bullied into groupthink. 

the lesson should be to not give a comment about anything controversial. Just say no comment. They are pretty conditioned for it already when they get asked questions they don’t want to answer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

You should never cave to the mob. Never. Because when you do, you get the backlash anyways, and you lose your sense of integrity and pride for what you stand for. 

Drew Brees will still be criticized by the mob, and be known for caving on his own beliefs and principles because he was bullied into groupthink. 

the lesson should be to not give a comment about anything controversial. Just say no comment. They are pretty conditioned for it already when they get asked questions they don’t want to answer. 

Most of the players in the league don’t kneel so they all must be “canceled”... NBA players don’t kneel before games, guess they’re “canceled” also... MLB? They all must be “canceled” ..... This shit is so beyond stupid it’s hilarious...  Fuck everyone who kneels during the anthem and fuck everyone who doesn’t stop at games and face the flag during it also. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, ThunderRam said:

No, it’s not self centered and ignorant.

It’s not only fair, but appropriate to pose the question whether it’s the right stage in which to protest. And by asking that question, or even going as far as disagreeing that it’s an appropriate stage doesn’t automatically mean that individual doesn’t care about inequality or injustice. It doesn’t automatically mean they are against the movement.

The tradition of honoring america prior to athletic events has nothing directly to do with police. It isn’t an act of honoring them. And it’s a very important and sacred event to many. So why should it be considered topical or appropriate to protest during it? Because there is a captive audience and cameras focused in? 

There are a lot of important movements we should all care about as human beings. But it’s certainly fair to question whether those behind any protest or movement can interrupt anything at any time just because they feel they are justified in doing so.

What if you’re attending a Broadway play and during a scene one of the actors feels the need to stop and protest gender inequality right there and then because, well, they’ve got captive audience and people paying attention. Would that be ok because it’s such an important cause? 

What about protesting at someone’s wedding? Or at a funeral?

Sure, those are drastically different situations than the national anthem at a sporting event. But the resounding point is that just because the movement is very important doesn’t also mean it’s justifiable to protest anywhere, everywhere and anytime we want. People have the right to question the timing and the stage.

Let’s also not ignore that these athletes are protesting on their employers and sponsors dime. Do we little people, non-celebrity, non-athletes have the right to utilize our employers resources and stage w/o consent because, well, we feel our cause is noble and just? Should the employer then be blasted and pressured on social media for firing anyone for utilizing company resources to further their cause?

These athletes and celebs keeping stating that the kneeling during the anthem isn’t about the flag or the military. And I agree. Which again begs the question. Why should it be considered topical and appropriate to protest police and social injustice during an event that doesn’t involve or support either? An event that is widely viewed as an ode to the military and our freedom, no less. Why should it be considered acceptable to protest on their employers and sponsors dime and time w/o consent?

Why aren’t the likes of Kaepernick and LeBron James protesting at a police station or city hall — directly in front of the egregious offender and on their own dime and time?

How does asking those questions automatically equate to being racist, tone deaf or ignorant?

Lastly, aren’t those that are chastising Drew Brees for voicing what the anthem and military mean to him in turn being tone deaf, ignorant and uncaring to his feelings and concerns? Why is there this growing belief that this works in only one direction?

IMO Drew Brees and others that have apologized did so due to the overwhelming pressure, backlash, bullying and negative publicity they are receiving. If anyone truly believes Drew Brees feels any different about the anthem than he did 24 hours ago, they’re extremely naive.

I’m not a Saints fan or a Drew Brees guy. However I in no way believe he’s opposed to protesting social/police injustice. I believe he was just questioning the proper time and stage in which to protest. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Very thoughtful post.

What disappoints me is the fact that Brees caved.  ( hence causing me to lose some respect for him )  He said nothing to undermine what AT THE CORE is a very necessary issue that needs to be addressed beyond the piles and piles of meaningless bullshit that has accompanied this tragedy and the others that have proceeded it... in the effort to promote other agendas. He should have stood his ground. Its his right to express what he feels the flag stands for. If one disagrees with him, that's OK... just as it was KK's right to express his views.

Any "half wit" who has followed his career knows what he is all about and would clearly support the efforts to deal with racial injustice. Maybe those imbeciles who burned his jersey should give him back the millions of dollars he gave the city to help make their lives better. 

• Like 1

This country is headed down the hyperbole shitter at warp speed. Like I said earlier, this is fast becoming a "kiss our ass" movement. I'm seeing and hearing more and more people say that. In 10 years, hurt feelings will be a state jail felony.

Ill stand up for my brothers of all colors any day, but dont expect me to bend over and kiss your ass cause it aint happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Very thoughtful post.

What disappoints me is the fact that Brees caved.  ( hence causing me to lose some respect for him )  He said nothing to undermine what AT THE CORE is a very necessary issue that needs to be addressed beyond the piles and piles of meaningless bullshit that has accompanied this tragedy and the others that have proceeded it... in the effort to promote other agendas. He should have stood his ground. Its his right to express what he feels the flag stands for. If one disagrees with him, that's OK... just as it was KK's right to express his views.

Any "half wit" who has followed his career knows what he is all about and would clearly support the efforts to deal with racial injustice. Maybe those imbeciles who burned his jersey should give him back the millions of dollars he gave the city to help make their lives better. 

I’m also disappointed Brees caved. But I also understand why he did.

Because it has become both a political and career death sentence to even hint at not buying in 100% to the movement, no questions asked. Posing a question about proper timing or appropriate venue is immediately interpreted as being against the movement. Or not understanding it. Or being insensitive to it.

Clearly that’s not true. But it has become perception. And social media has become the modern day firing squad. Peer pressure in the ultimate highest form.

Days prior to Brees stepping into the line of fire, a similar thing occurred to Grant Napear — who had been the long time play-by-play TV announcer of the Sacramento Kings since 1988. He was a local SAC area celeb with the highest rated sports talk radio show in the area the past 26 years. He sometimes was guest host of the Jim Rome Show.

If you’re unaware, Napear held long standing feuds with DeMarcus Cousins, Chris Webber, and Matt Barnes, among others. Boogie Cousins, who has refused to talk to Napear for years, baited Napear by tweeting out asking for his thoughts on BLM (Boogie had a good idea what the response would be). Once Napear responded with “All lives matter, every single one” the twitter-verse firing squad shot him down. He was summarily fired from his radio gig by CBS and resigned from his Kings PbP duties (likely to avoid being fired).

To be fair, those outside of SAC probably aren’t aware of the numerous other PR factors involved over the decades — which surely factored into the end result — but Napear’s ALM comment was surely the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

Again, someone perceived to not be buying into BLM 100% no questions asked was ridiculed, bullied, and thrown by the wayside. To be clear, I believe Napear should have been let go years ago on the basis of his treatment of others, along with his turncoat behavior during the KINGS relocation saga. But I digress.

He is just another very recent example how sensitive many folks are to any opposing view or questioning of the movement’s choice of stage.

I’ll conclude with this.

Instead of leading the firing squad on social media and kneeling during games, how come many of these high profile athletes and entertainers aren’t doing more to help the cause?

Some indeed are. I saw today that Michael Jordan and his Jordan brand have pledged $100 million over the next 10 years to organizations dedicated to racial equality, social justice and education access. Matt Ryan and some others have too. Which is fantastic.

But if the likes of LeBron James really wanted to make a point. Really take a stand. Really draw attention to the cause in a non-violent and topical way, there is something much larger and far more selfless that they could do.

Refuse to play. Retire. Until something meaningful is done to combat social injustice and current law enforcement policies and hiring practices. Put pressure on the powers that be to enact change and reform.

Ever seen the old cheesy 80’s movie Amazing Grace and Chuck?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace_and_Chuck

It’s only a lame movie, I know, but the point behind it is relevant today.

If a large group of today’s star athletes and hollywood royalty banded together in unison by refusing to resume their professional careers until something meaningful and impactful begins to happen — it could have far greater impact than anything we’ve seen to this point.

Most of america is pining hard for the return of entertainment, still in the midst of the pandemic. Money making machines around the world are hurting, and hopeful to get back up and running again. These entertainers could really make an impact by refusing to continue or get started again.

But I suspect nothing like what I outlined above will ever happen. Because the likes of LeBron James, who is among those talking the loudest on social media, seem to value their own bottom line more than they really value this movement.

They are more than willing to protest on their employer’s dime and time and from afar on social media. Some are even willing to donate a little bit of their vast sum of wealth and make some appearances here and there.

But are any of them willing to make a real sacrifice?

Are any of them willing to place morality, social injustice, inequality, racism and reform above capitalism and career resume?

A vast majority of the entertainers I’m talking about have earned enough money throughout their careers that their ‘livelihood’ isn’t going to be drastically threatened or affected by the ‘ultimate protest’. And even if it was, isn’t the sacrifice and risk worthwhile for such important causes?

Or is social injustice, inequality, racism, and law enforcement reform only worth fighting for while it’s on someone else’s dime and time and only if doesn’t threaten the ability to make more money and add to the career resume?

As someone that desperately would like to see reform and change, I’d prefer to see these entertainers of immense wealth and influence really take a stand rather than just make token gestures and lead mob mentality on social media.

Ball is in their court.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I’m also disappointed Brees caved. But I also understand why he did.

Because it has become both a political and career death sentence to even hint at not buying in 100% to the movement, no questions asked. Posing a question about proper timing or appropriate venue is immediately interpreted as being against the movement. Or not understanding it. Or being insensitive to it.

Clearly that’s not true. But it has become perception. And social media has become the modern day firing squad. Peer pressure in the ultimate highest form.

Days prior to Brees stepping into the line of fire, a similar thing occurred to Grant Napear — who had been the long time play-by-play TV announcer of the Sacramento Kings since 1988. He was a local SAC area celeb with the highest rated sports talk radio show in the area the past 26 years. He sometimes was guest host of the Jim Rome Show.

If you’re unaware, Napear held long standing feuds with DeMarcus Cousins, Chris Webber, and Matt Barnes, among others. Boogie Cousins, who has refused to talk to Napear for years, baited Napear by tweeting out asking for his thoughts on BLM (Boogie had a good idea what the response would be). Once Napear responded with “All lives matter, every single one” the twitter-verse firing squad shot him down. He was summarily fired from his radio gig by CBS and resigned from his Kings PbP duties (likely to avoid being fired).

To be fair, those outside of SAC probably aren’t aware of the numerous other PR factors involved over the decades — which surely factored into the end result — but Napear’s ALM comment was surely the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

Again, someone perceived to not be buying into BLM 100% no questions asked was ridiculed, bullied, and thrown by the wayside. To be clear, I believe Napear should have been let go years ago on the basis of his treatment of others, along with his turncoat behavior during the KINGS relocation saga. But I digress.

He is just another very recent example how sensitive many folks are to any opposing view or questioning of the movement’s choice of stage.

I’ll conclude with this.

Instead of leading the firing squad on social media and kneeling during games, how come many of these high profile athletes and entertainers aren’t doing more to help the cause?

Some indeed are. I saw today that Michael Jordan and his Jordan brand have pledged $100 million over the next 10 years to organizations dedicated to racial equality, social justice and education access. Matt Ryan and some others have too. Which is fantastic.

But if the likes of LeBron James really wanted to make a point. Really take a stand. Really draw attention to the cause in a non-violent and topical way, there is something much larger and far more selfless that they could do.

Refuse to play. Retire. Until something meaningful is done to combat social injustice and current law enforcement policies and hiring practices. Put pressure on the powers that be to enact change and reform.

Ever seen the old cheesy 80’s movie Amazing Grace and Chuck?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace_and_Chuck

It’s only a lame movie, I know, but the point behind it is relevant today.

If a large group of today’s star athletes and hollywood royalty banded together in unison by refusing to resume their professional careers until something meaningful and impactful begins to happen — it could have far greater impact than anything we’ve seen to this point.

Most of america is pining hard for the return of entertainment, still in the midst of the pandemic. Money making machines around the world are hurting, and hopeful to get back up and running again. These entertainers could really make an impact by refusing to continue or get started again.

But I suspect nothing like what I outlined above will ever happen. Because the likes of LeBron James, who is among those talking the loudest on social media, seem to value their own bottom line more than they really value this movement.

They are more than willing to protest on their employer’s dime and time and from afar on social media. Some are even willing to donate a little bit of their vast sum of wealth and make some appearances here and there.

But are any of them willing to make a real sacrifice?

Are any of them willing to place morality, social injustice, inequality, racism and reform above capitalism and career resume?

A vast majority of the entertainers I’m talking about have earned enough money throughout their careers that their ‘livelihood’ isn’t going to be drastically threatened or affected by the ‘ultimate protest’. And even if it was, isn’t the sacrifice and risk worthwhile for such important causes?

Or is social injustice, inequality, racism, and law enforcement reform only worth fighting for while it’s on someone else’s dime and time and only if doesn’t threaten the ability to make more money and add to the career resume?

As someone that desperately would like to see reform and change, I’d prefer to see these entertainers of immense wealth and influence really take a stand rather than just make token gestures and lead mob mentality on social media.

Ball is in their court.

If kneeling by a professional athlete didn’t correct the problem then why would famous athletes quitting and retiring have an impact? They can have a voice and continue to do good in disadvantaged communities, their salaries help support that cause.  

Finally, who do you think is responsible for correcting police brutality and overpolicing, the victim of it or the perpetrator?

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2020 at 6:16 PM, AztecPadre said:

Y'all do remember the idea to kneel came from a decorated Navy Seal vet.  So if that dude tells me its ok to kneel in silence to protest police brutality then by golly I will.  He is a vet and a seal at that.  So how is it that kneeling disrespects the military when it was a military kats idea to do it in the first place.  

… I trust Aztec is correct here.  

The infamous knee(l) “jerk” reaction.  

This is hilarious!   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

… I trust Aztec is correct here.  

The infamous knee(l) “jerk” reaction.  

This is hilarious!   

Apparently the left

is getting better at parodies...🤣

but lefty humor still got

some catching up to do..

😝

PS: As far as kneeljerky reactions LOL,(and Dexter is smart enough to know 🙄)

It ain't the "actual kneel",

that pisses some off...

It's the belligerence of it all.

🤓

Just sayin'...

2 hours ago, Troll said:

Apparently the left

is getting better at parodies...🤣

but lefty humor still got

some catching up to do..

😝

PS: As far as kneeljerky reactions LOL,(and Dexter is smart enough to know 🙄)

It ain't the "actual kneel",

that pisses some off...

It's the belligerence of it all.

🤓

Just sayin'...

You had me at Dexter 😉 

• Haha 1