OT: Movie Industry

CCBlackhatter

Not only is Georgia on Cali's tail in terms of FBS recruits, our great state has now been named the number one location in the world for feature film production.

The state of California dropped to #4 behind the UK and Canada. Louisiana and New York tied for 5th in 2016.

Youre welcome for today's random fact. ☺

47 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

our great state has now been named the number one location in the world for feature film production.

and that is something to be proud of? (sorry, I have a health disdain for movies, I realize I am alone in this)

that said, 

Ya think maybe that is because they don't have to pay a fair wage there? 

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Not only is Georgia on Cali's tail in terms of FBS recruits, our great state has now been named the number one location in the world for feature film production.

The state of California dropped to #4 behind the UK and Canada. Louisiana and New York tied for 5th in 2016.

Thanks caj.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, noonereal said:

and that is something to be proud of? (sorry, I have a health disdain for movies, I realize I am alone in this)

that said, 

Or maybe its because they doin't have to pay inflated union prices in Cali for people to stand around and do virtually nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

that said, 

Probably more to do with the growing arts scene in Atlanta more so than unfair wages. These actors many whom are already stars are not signing up for a low paying gig just because doofus.

As Sport mention, taxes are a bigger factor in the increasing of production here.

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

Probably more to do with the growing arts scene in Atlanta more so than unfair wages. These actors many whom are already stars are not signing up for a low paying gig just because doofus.

As Sport mention, taxes are a bigger factor in the increasing of production here.

Just waiting for the Cost of Living in Savannah to shoot up even more.... 

1 hour ago, aZjimbo said:

Or maybe its because they doin't have to pay inflated union prices in Cali for people to stand around and do virtually nothing.

It's a combination. GA is famious for giving away the farm to attract industry. Folks there have never been paid a living wage and yes, every employer looks to screw the working guy in favor of the non working investor class. 

29 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

The draw is multi faceted. GA has lots of very different locations that suit the subject matter of most films but more importantly GA gives away the farm to draw industry as I just said above. Also of course, in GA you can hire people on the cheap. 

Nothing to do with growing arts scene my friend. 

This has nothing to do with top star salaries. This is about the grips, carpenters, food vendors etc. 

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

If I were Caj I would have posted about Hillary or how bad Trump's fart smelled this morning.

Im surprised he didn't post about her not wearing a scarf when she was in Saudi Arabia. He did post about the "shove heard around the world"

49 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Also, is it true that if a student graduates a GA high school with a 3.0 GPA or higher, they can attend an in-state college tuition free?? Once heard that. Thx. 

Yes, it is called the Hope Scholarship, and funded by lottery ticket sales. 80-87 pays about 75% tuition I believe. 88+ average pays 100%. I may be a little off on the percentages, just going off memory.

It does not provide room and board or books however.

You also have to maintain a 3.0 in college to continue receiving the funding. You may lose and then regain eligibilty one time, and it is evaluated each semester in college. There is also a limit on how many attempted hours that it will pay for with the maximum age being 24 years old.

Its great that we have this in place, and is proof to Nor and Bernie Sanders that college does not have to funded by tax payers or corporations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Yes, it is called the Hope Scholarship, and funded by lottery ticket sales. 80-87 pays about 75% tuition I believe. 88+ average pays 100%. I may be a little off on the percentages, just going off memory.

You also have to maintain a 3.0 in college to continue receiving the funding. You may lose and then regain eligibilty one time, and it is evaluated each semester in college. There is also a limit on how many attempted hours that it will pay for with the maximum age being 24 years old.

Its great that we have this in place, and is proof to Nor and Bernie Sanders that college does not have to funded by tax payers or corporations.

Hope doesnt cover as much as it used too.... 

12 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Also its now 3.5.... 

You gotta graduate HS with a 3.5 

And maintain a 3.5 throughout College.... 

Zell Miller is the same way....

6 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Last year Georgia was tied for 3rd with Louisiana......

your link?

52 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

What a wonderful incentive. Unfortunately if you can't get into UGA or Tech, the pickings are slim IMO. 

I agree to an extent. It really depends on your major. Valdosta State has an awesome education school at a great value. Albany State has a top notch Criminal Justice program. Georgia State has some great programs as well. ABAC now offers some 4 year degrees, and are excellent if you are looking for a career in agriculture. The private universities here are some of the best in the country, but Hope isnt much help when attending those schools.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I have a few friends that attended Emory. Life-changing degree. 

Absolutely! Mercer as well.

A degree from Emory, Mercer, Tech, or UGA will get you any job you pursue.

Side note, UGA is ramping up there engineering programs and will be challenging Tech in the near future. They are already drawing professors from Tech, and once established could become one of the best in the nation.