Most dominant team player by position

Sammyswordsman

Wow, at the high school level,

out of PA I would undoubtedly go with Terrelle Pryor QB, Saquon Barkley RB and  LaVar Arington LB. 

out of NJ - no doubt either Toal or Cushing at either RB or LB.  Love that 03' game!

out of GA - Greg Reid a great choice RB but maybe Frenchie Francour (parkview) at athlete

out of FL - Anquan Boldin QB (seen him in the GA dome tho) and Antonio "silky smooth" Cromartie at athlete

out of TX - Gerald Douglas out of Converse Judson - that kid was an amazing running back.

• Like 2

I didn't start following HS football until around 1984, when my older cousin won a section title as a SR. Been following ever since.

Since 1984, here's a list of the very best HS players I saw play (in person) on more than a few occasions. I actually played against 2 of them. (not counting players I saw one single time in State championships in recent years)

All but 5 ended up playing pro football at some level. Of the 5 that haven't, 1 had a long NBA career (Barnes) and another (Ngata) will likely play pro after college. Graves, Cummings and Pratt played collegiate only.

• QB - Troy Taylor (Cordova ‘85)
  • QB - Aaron Garcia (Grant Union ‘87)    **Played against when he was a SR**
  • DL - Jason Fisk (Davis Senior ‘88)
  • DL - Tony Cline (Davis Senior ‘88)
  • DL - Tedy Bruschi (Roseville ‘90)          **Played against when he was a SOPH**
  • QB - Randy Fasani (Del Oro ‘96)
  • WR/DB - Donte Stallworth (Grant Union ‘97)
  • WR/TE - Matt Barnes (Del Campo ‘97)
  • RB - Onterrio Smith (Grant Union ‘98)
  • FB/LB - Lance Briggs (Elk Grove ‘98)
  • FB/LB - DJ Williams (De La Salle ‘99)
  • RB - Maurice Jones-Drew (De La Salle ‘01)
  • RB - Devontae Booker (Grant Union ‘09)
  • RB - Jackson Cummings (Rocklin ‘09)
  • RB - Bryce Pratt (Del Oro ‘09)
  • QB - Dano Graves (Folsom ‘10)
  • RB/DB - Shaq Thompson (Grant Union ‘10)
  • OL/DL - Jonah Williams (Folsom ‘14)
  • WR - Joe Ngata (Folsom ‘17)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

DJ Williams was a pro in high school. Haven’t seen a better LB since him. 

DJ certainly was as close to it as someone can get. Lance Briggs from Elk Grove was the same. Built very similarly to Williams. Both played the same positions for their teams. FB and LB. Not so oddly, both are from the Sacramento area.

To this very day I still wonder how a match up between the two would have turned out. In 1998 DLS and Elk Grove both were undefeated and there was actual talk of finding a way for them to play a non-sanctioned game (no regional or state games back then). The CIF eventually squashed the idea of course.

So we were cheated out of a Briggs-Williams match up on both sides of the ball. One of many cheats the CIF has been responsible for over the decades due to the lack of a true playoff system.

Both players went on to enjoy stellar college careers and star in the NFL. However, Briggs had the more decorated NFL career, as a 7x pro bowler and was named 1st or 2nd team all-pro 3x.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We played an “all star” (I use the term lightly) game against California my junior year of HS and Junior Seau was on the team. He had three or four cousins playing on our side. 

Between Junior and a dude named Sean Howard (old Cali heads should remember) I got hit every single fucking play. 

I took a snap on one play and I swear they both hit me before the ball was in my hands. They were just faster than what our OL could deal with either off the edge or stunting up the middle. 

Those two were the best.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

My Top 2 (that I saw live) would be...

1.  Stan Rome

2.  William Andrews

Rufus>>

Saw Andrews as well...... maybe, just maybe when Reid played against the Packers you held your breath and closed your eyes or just didn’t come to the Pen or the Palace. .... always here to help friend!

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

QB Garrett Gilbert LT and Johnny Manziel at Kerrville Tivy

I sat seven rows behind the A&M bench vs Duke for the peach many moons ago. I watched and. Listened to manziel on the sideline get in his guys asses and lead them to victory that game. It was one of the most impressive in person performances at any level I’ve ever seen. 

I’d have bet he was gonna be a helluva pro. Personal demons are a bitch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

RB Najee Harris.  He was a grown man playing against elementary school kids in high school. 

Actually, I can't believe I neglected to include Najee on my list. Major oversight. But I knew I'd forget someone. Lots of great players to remember over the past 35 years.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Please list the HS FB players you personally watched that stood out as most dominant.

Below are a few of mine.

DE- Kory Minor (Bishop Amat ‘94)

RB - Deshaun Foster (Tustin ‘97)

QB - Bryce Young (MD ‘19)

SS - Matt Grootwgood ( MD ‘98)

LB - DJ Williams (DLS ‘99)

Groots played Free not Strong...it’s a huge difference in MD’s “StudStar” scheme.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1