Maryland MaxPreps Madness

eaglesinsider

3 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

ahhh I see how they got snubbed .. He used Maryland Maxpreps rankings to set the field.. WCAC teams used to be ranked in DC by CAL/Max preps at that time.  DeMatha and GC who are in Maryland got Max to put them in Maryland in 2015... but they really should be in this tournament.. eagles might have to go back and look at DC Maxprep ratings for Maryland teams ( Good Counsel and DeMatha) from 2003-2014.. There may be a DeMatha team better than the one selected as well (2015) ... Then redo it ..lol

None the less with Good Counsel 2011 in the field the final would be 2011 Good Counsel vs 2019 SFA and I would have GC winning that one.

When SFA wins this it comes with an *...😝

CalPreps still lists the MD teams as being in MD, just not with a number ranking. They have '19 GC rated much higher than '11 GC. I don't know why other than a much tougher SOS.

11 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

I see where you got it now.. yeah thats crazy.. Shows an obvious flaw in the rating system.. IMO  

No doubt. That '11 GC team was loaded and should be in there. I would have substituted '15 Damascus for '05 Damascus, '13 McDonogh for '19 McDonogh and one of the Kevin Johnson/Michael Campanaro River Hill teams over '12 River Hill as well. I didn't want to have the rankings be a mix of personal opinion and the computer though.

Overall it seems like the computer values SOS too much and really ramps up its rating of private schools in 2015 and later. CalPreps rankings do show how much MD football has changed since 2003 more than the state poll, which tends to rank public schools higher.

From 2003-2008 at least 3 of the top 5 (4 in 2003) schools were public and a public school finished #1 3 times ('03 Linganore, '07 Quince Orchard, '08 Sherwood). From 2009-2019 a private school has finished #1 every year and no more than 2 of the top 5 schools were public. In '14 and '16 only 1 of the top 5 schools were public and this past season was the first year ever where there were no public schools in the top 5 at all.

The voting public has spoken and it's clear the public schools are much more popular than the private schools, with everyone but '05 Damascus winning by very large margins. If these were "real" games I probably don't see any potential for wins for the public schools except '18 Oakdale over '15 Gilman and even that would be a stretch. I didn't see '05 Damascus play but saw every other team play, most multiple times. For the curious. Damascus won over SFA by 3 votes, Oakdale over Gilman by 33, Urbana over DeMatha by 31 and Linganore over Good Counsel by 15.

Here's our Final 4:

3) 2005 Damascus
6) 2018 Oakdale (-7)

2) 2009 Linganore (-1)
6) 2010 Urbana

Stats, video highlights and key players noted in the post at the top of this page. Voting once again runs through 11:59 PM on Saturday and can be found at this link. Looks like two great matchups on tap given the CalPreps spread and the teams familiarity with each other.

Urbana over ‘15 DeMatha who beat Miami Central 38-14 when MC was ranked #2 in the USA and then beat AHP in Florida.  Note that AHP had beaten ‘15 IMG in a “preseason” game a couple of weeks earlier.

That was a great DeMatha team despite the remarkable GZ loss.

Still, I think the best DeMatha team ever was Scott McBrien’s undefeated  ‘98 which slaughtered GZ by more than 40 in the WCAC final and beat a remarkable Wyoming Seminary (5th year team with the previous year’s Pittsburgh player of the year at qb) by 25 or so in Wilkes Barre.  No game was close.  McGregor said that the only time that DM trailed in any game-the whole year!-was against GC in the first quarter and DM ended up winning by 40+.

DeMatha also had a serious Undefeated team in ‘86 that USA Today ranked #6.  That was Chris Baucia’s (‘84 too which was also undefeated and USA Today 16).

As for DM losing to a Montgomery county team, why doesn’t a Montgomery county team play DM?  In more than 50 years I do not know of a single county public school to ever play DM in a regular season game including Sherwood and Springbrook under Milloy.

There is a reason why.  They would have lost.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Urbana over ‘15 DeMatha who beat Miami Central 38-14 when MC was ranked #2 in the USA and then beat AHP in Florida.  Note that AHP had beaten ‘15 IMG in a “preseason” game a couple of weeks earlier.

That was a great DeMatha team despite the remarkable GZ loss.

Still, I think the best DeMatha team ever was Scott McBrien’s undefeated  ‘98 which slaughtered GZ by more than 40 in the WCAC final and beat a remarkable Wyoming Seminary (5th year team with the previous year’s Pittsburgh player of the year at qb) by 25 or so in Wilkes Barre.  No game was close.  McGregor said that the only time that DM trailed in any game-the whole year!-was against GC in the first quarter and DM ended up winning by 40+.

DeMatha also had a serious Undefeated team in ‘86 that USA Today ranked #6.  That was Chris Baucia’s (‘84 too which was also undefeated and USA Today 16).

As for DM losing to a Montgomery county team, why doesn’t a Montgomery county team play DM?  In more than 50 years I do not know of a single county public school to ever play DM in a regular season game including Sherwood and Springbrook under Milloy.

There is a reason why.  They would have lost.

Urbana is Frederick County (every team left but Damascus is, and Damascus is 5 mins from the border) but nevertheless your point still stands. '10 Urbana was a very good public school team. Played 13 opponents and shut out 9 of them. Average to below average offensively. They wouldn't have gotten a first down against Chase Young and that DeMatha defense.

• Like 2

Anyone who watches HS football in the DMV knows that the private schools are far superior and have been for many years. This "poll" is being run on a site that is 90% public school junkies who are voting with their hearts and not their heads. They know that the best public school team would get trounced every year by the top 5 privates...who are much bigger, deeper, more talented and more battle tested. It's not close...D1 v D2, minor league v major league.

• Like 2