Wk5 of lock-down takes us back to 1998

sausmann9

I remember reading about CBW back then. There was a guy from PA on the boards back then touting them. sammyk I think was his name. He hated my guts. 😂

Anyway, it is impressive just how slow that team looks. 1998 doesn't seem THAT "old-timey", but even then the myth of a huge weight difference along the line of scrimmage was prominent. Announcers and fans always used to give the weight averages of the lines, and if there was like a 50 lb. difference, the talk was the DL may get flattened. lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I remember reading about CBW back then. There was a guy from PA on the boards back then touting them. sammyk I think was his name.

That 1998 CBW team didn't really have a lot of superstars. That big RB/FB Dustin Picciotti was ok, but he was painfully slow. He transferred from Pitt to Rhode Island.

A lot of those ranked teams even in 1998 were stacked. CBW wasn't really one of them.

CB West – 1998

https://papreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/state-champs-project-1998-cb-west.6785/

FBS Players
Dustin Picciotti (Pittsburgh), Ben Carber (Virginia)
FCS Players
Mike Orihel (New Hampshire), Dave Edward (Richmond), Jon Wilson (Richmond), Joe Wilson (Richmond), Chris Havener (Princeton), Rob Bowser (Duquense), Andy Elsig (Rhode Island), Bryan Buckley (UMass), Bryan Colahan (Rhode Island), Dave Camburn (Delaware)
Division II Players
Angelo Palena (Bloomsburg), Ryan Blomgren (IUP)
Division III Players
Sean Michael Yonson (Catholic), Jon Tor (Catholic)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

That 1998 CBW team didn't really have a lot of superstars. That big RB/FB Dustin Picciotti was ok, but he was painfully slow. He transferred from Pitt to Rhode Island.

A lot of those ranked teams even in 1998 were stacked. CBW wasn't really one of them.

CB West – 1998

https://papreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/state-champs-project-1998-cb-west.6785/

FBS Players
FCS Players
Mike Orihel (New Hampshire), Dave Edward (Richmond), Jon Wilson (Richmond), Joe Wilson (Richmond), Chris Havener (Princeton), Rob Bowser (Duquense), Andy Elsig (Rhode Island), Bryan Buckley (UMass), Bryan Colahan (Rhode Island), Dave Camburn (Delaware)
Division II Players
Division III Players

But back then you didn't have nearly as stacked teams as you've seen these last 10-15 years. Back then CBW was spoken of as almost a legendary team. At least that was the impression I got of them from reading about them.

Something we should always look out for in teams is the ability to beat you (or stop you) in a variety of ways. You need power and speed. The ability to run and pass, and stop the run and pass. Teams don't have to be great in all areas, they can even be mediocre in some areas.Teams I've followed like De La Salle and Lakeland are typically mediocre passing teams, but they still have the ability to occasionally hurt you with play action, screens or even convert a few third and longs with possibly ugly looking passes. They can convert short yardage, but also make the big play. IMO, going back over the last 30-40 years, teams that were clearly slow would have almost always ended up getting worked by fast teams, provided the fast teams aren't efficiency/execution disasters. That CBW team was terribly overrated on a national basis, simply because it's obvious they lack the foot speed to hang with many national powers.  Not to say the fastest team always wins, but you can't be dramatically slower across the board and win much.

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

But back then you didn't have nearly as stacked teams as you've seen these last 10-15 years. Back then CBW was spoken of as almost a legendary team. At least that was the impression I got of them from reading about them.

Something we should always look out for in teams is the ability to beat you (or stop you) in a variety of ways. You need power and speed. The ability to run and pass, and stop the run and pass. Teams don't have to be great in all areas, they can even be mediocre in some areas.Teams I've followed like De La Salle and Lakeland are typically mediocre passing teams, but they still have the ability to occasionally hurt you with play action, screens or even convert a few third and longs with possibly ugly looking passes. They can convert short yardage, but also make the big play. IMO, going back over the last 30-40 years, teams that were clearly slow would have almost always ended up getting worked by fast teams, provided the fast teams aren't efficiency/execution disasters. That CBW team was terribly overrated on a national basis, simply because it's obvious they lack the foot speed to hang with many national powers.  Not to say the fastest team always wins, but you can't be dramatically slower across the board and win much.

Those teams were also being evaluated, obviously, against the teams they played. So since they were able to simply overpower their opponents they were thought to be a machine.

I would actually classify CB West and West Monroe in the same group: big, powerful teams that simply dominated over-matched competition.

A lot of the past powers were like that though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

CB West – 1998

FBS Players
FCS Players
Division II Players
Division III Players

it wasn't so much they had tons of talent as opposed to their style of offense they ran back then.  Wishbone, veer, crossbuck, etc.. with about 80 formations to go from.  There was a playoff game iin 2000 were CBW never ran the same offensive formation twice in the same game.  They were very disciplined on offensvie and defensive line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

it wasn't so much they had tons of talent as opposed to their style of offense they ran back then.  Wishbone, veer, crossbuck, etc.. with about 80 formations to go from.  There was a playoff game iin 2000 were CBW never ran the same offensive formation twice in the same game.  They were very disciplined on offensvie and defensive line.

I think what the Guru said is partly true. CBW was so much bigger than the teams they played that everything they ran looked great and impressive ....all 80 formations. lol

...1998 Evangel Christian ran formations not many in the high school world had ever seen before. They had QB Brock Berlin and that cast of characters. I'm not going to list them all,  but those ECA teams were built like present day Mater Dei,  STA and etc.  It wasn't fair most of the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Even DLS had more talent back in those days.

DLS these days has 1998 CBW talent....."some years".

They are definitely not a modern day blue chip factory by any standard. 

Depends on the year. DLS tends to have a few more blue chips now than they had then, though when they had Simon, DJ, Guiterrez they maybe had as much or more. Now, relative to the competition in a given year may be a different story. They show up with a 4* and a couple of 3* now, they are quite outmanned. Twenty years ago, they were loaded with that.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, badrouter said:

I remember reading about CBW back then. There was a guy from PA on the boards back then touting them. sammyk I think was his name. He hated my guts. 😂

Anyway, it is impressive just how slow that team looks. 1998 doesn't seem THAT "old-timey", but even then the myth of a huge weight difference along the line of scrimmage was prominent. Announcers and fans always used to give the weight averages of the lines, and if there was like a 50 lb. difference, the talk was the DL may get flattened. lol

Damn I remember reading his posts.  Forgot about that guy.    

• Haha 1