De La Salle: California Dominance

SeaShells21

On 5/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, On2whls said:

For a public school to do it in so ca, you need a perfect storm of factors.  First, a developing community bringing in families with athletes out of the reach of not only MD/Bosco, but other significant draw private’s, a good coaching staff, dedicated athletic department, and good community support.   I don’t think that situation exists right now or will anytime soon.  I thought as the Santa Clarita area was booming that perhaps it would give rise to a contender, but there’s too many private’s to dilute the talent pool there as well.

These factors you mentioned, I believe they contributed to MD's dynasty during the 90s as well, in which they won 2 Natty's. Because private/parochial schools, without question, get tons of more alumni support than public schools do.

Felt it was worthy to bring up again because, it's a very long shot but I feel at the moment, Corona Centennial is the only California public school that has a chance to pull off this feat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Felt it was worthy to bring up again because, it's a very long shot but I feel at the moment, Corona Centennial is the only California public school that has a chance to pull off this feat.

I honestly believe that this year, Cen10 and MV could either have had a shot to pull off the upsets, although I doubt Cen10 would have beaten St. Francis.  I think a healthy Foreman would have been very disruptive.

Next year, Cen10 should return a decent core on both sides but I don’t think they will be as well balanced and it will shift to offense dominated.   The QB, barring a transfer will be a question mark.  The likely starter will be a junior by that time and has incredible potential but will not have had enough experience.

50 minutes ago, On2whls said:

I honestly believe that this year, Cen10 and MV could either have had a shot to pull off the upsets, although I doubt Cen10 would have beaten St. Francis.  I think a healthy Foreman would have been very disruptive.

Next year, Cen10 should return a decent core on both sides but I don’t think they will be as well balanced and it will shift to offense dominated.   The QB, barring a transfer will be a question mark.  The likely starter will be a junior by that time and has incredible potential but will not have had enough experience.

I would not mind if it's either one of them or just as long as it's any California Public School to win a National Title or finish the season ranked number 1 in the nation.

Even though it's a very long shot, I doubt it will happen, more than likely, it's going to be MD and Bosco running the show again, but it would be awesome if a California Public School can pull off a shock the world type of season.

Overall, it's just another sad reminder of how Covid-19 is affecting the world, life and Society, people can't live or experience normalize anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

The premise of the OP is flawed.  DLS hasn't been dominant at all in Calif for the past 6 years.  They have been a top contender like several other programs, but that is all.

There's absolutely no distinction between DLS and Servite 🤡

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

it reminds me, many people feel that when DLS slaughtered Servite in the 2010 state title game at the Home Depot Center, that traumatized Servite for the long-term, their FB program hasn't been the same since.

It reminds me how Mater Dei took 20 years to recover from the 1998-2001 beat downs by DLS.  The Monarchs lowered the bar for all So Cal teams that followed. 

even then The Stache had to rely on transfers to pull it off 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

It reminds me how Mater Dei took 20 years to recover from the 1998-2001 beat downs by DLS.  The Monarchs lowered the bar for all So Cal teams that followed. 

even then The Stache had to rely on transfers to pull it off 

i feel this was more accurate, for Servite's downfall following that 2010 state title game massacre by DLS:

"A very weak (athletically) class of 2013,

T Thomas trying to imitate DLS,

T Thomas firing O Coordinator Matt Mitchell.

but i believe Troy Thomas admitted, Scott Prohaska leaving Servite for MD, was the biggest contributing factor that led to Servite's downfall."

I also read, some feel the wheels were set in motion prior to that, when Servite snapped the MD streak in 2009, "Ending of the streak in 2009...the dog caught the bus and had nothing else to live for"

Also, in the entire history of the MD-Servite rivalry, 44 points is the most points that Servite has scored against MD, which they did in 1986, score was 44-12, and the largest margin of victory for the Friars over the Monarchs, is 42-7 in 1982. All before the Rollo era.

I believe Matt Mitchell ended up at El Modena HS in Orange, CA, Orange County. Also, one of Servite's long-time assistant coaches, ended up at El Modena as well, i believe he is now their athletic director: Ed Drzanek

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

it reminds me, many people feel that when DLS slaughtered Servite in the 2010 state title game at the Home Depot Center, that traumatized Servite for the long-term, their FB program hasn't been the same since.

Such claims are almost always bullshit.