De La Salle: California Dominance

SeaShells21

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

You think it texas we’ll have a season or a shortened one? 

The California governor is on record saying there will not be any sporting events in Cali until Jan.

There is real possibility that our season could be shortened or even canceled all together 

Don’t expect HS teams to travel across the country with Covid 19 hanging around.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Texasball said:

The California governor is on record saying there will not be any sporting events in Cali until Jan.

There is real possibility that our season could be shortened or even canceled all together 

Don’t expect HS teams to travel across the country with Covid 19 hanging around.

If the DLS and St Joe Prep games fall through, I’d love to see north shore square up with shadow creek. 

18 minutes ago, The Guru said:

This is where I'm at right now.

I think they'll be a season of some kind but no games requiring long distance travel.

Have you heard anything from anyone in communication with the Florida governor's office on the prospects of the season?

I've spoken with school officials in California who say they have not had much of any communication with Gavin Newsom, and that what they're hearing is all over the place from a vastly different day to there being no in-person classes to start the year. We are totally in the dark in California on this now.

5 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Have you heard anything from anyone in communication with the Florida governor's office on the prospects of the season?

I've spoken with school officials in California who say they have not had much of any communication with Gavin Newsom, and that what they're hearing is all over the place from a vastly different day to there being no in-person classes to start the year. We are totally in the dark in California on this now.

The very start of the school year/football season is 120 days away. It's not surprising that little has been discussed yet.

But don't worry. Florida is an emotion over logic state. So we will definitely have football, baby!

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, The Guru said:

The very start of the school year/football season is 120 days away. It's not surprising that little has been discussed yet.

But don't worry. Florida is an emotion over logic state. So we will definitely have football, baby!

I'd argue that emotion over logic is fueling the push to keep everything locked down indefinitely. You don't arrest and cite someone alone in the ocean, surfing by themselves, because you've identified others he is near and might infect with a virus. You do that when you've panicked, decided to abandon social distancing policies and instead declare everything closed, no matter whether they can operate according to social distancing guidelines or not.

Anyway, this figures to be highly interesting if nothing else. Florida has a Trump boot-licker for Governor. California's leadership skews heavily left, and is prone to a bleeding heart syndrome that tends to take them to policies running contrary to some of their ostensible goals. (No group is more adversely impacted by an extended shutdown than poor students, most of whom are of color).

We could see a scenario where Florida high schools play, and California schools do not.

• Like 1

Just now, badrouter said:

I'd argue that emotion over logic is fueling the push to keep everything locked down indefinitely.

Totally wrong.

The lockdowns have always had definite dates wherein the lockdown would be assessed and extended as needed.

The people calling for it to be ended are totally and completely without medical or scientific merit.

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

(No group is more adversely impacted by an extended shutdown than poor students, most of whom are of color).

Agreed but, again, this is about choosing between two bad options.

Just because poor students will fall behind more than others doesn't mean, therefore, that schools should be reopened without question.

14 hours ago, The Guru said:

Totally wrong.

The lockdowns have always had definite dates wherein the lockdown would be assessed and extended as needed.

The people calling for it to be ended are totally and completely without medical or scientific merit.

You're referring to the public announcements. Reading between the lines, and having friends of friends working in the governor's office who have access to trial calendars, it is obvious they have set dates in mind well beyond what they've shared. All indications are that no significant portion of the lockdown will be lifted prior to June, even though, publicly, there's another date listed.

Many of us are not calling for it to be ended entirely. We're calling for detailed plans, with objective, measurable criteria for opening various sectors given certain outcomes to be made public. We're calling for much more than six unanswered questions described as indicators. 

Johan Giesecke is not calling for nations that implemented a lockdown to reopen suddenly and immediately. But, he does have a lot of very interesting points. And you can't find an epidemiologist on the planet who's any more esteemed in the field than he is. The Sweden model explained.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

You're referring to the public announcements. Reading between the lines, and having friends of friends working in the governor's office who have access to trial calendars, it is obvious they have set dates in mind well beyond what they've shared.

So not indefinitely then which is what you claimed.

7 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Many of us are not calling for it to be ended entirely. We're calling for detailed plans, with objective, measurable criteria for opening various sectors given certain outcomes to be made public. We're calling for much more than six unanswered questions described as indicators. 

Then you're asking for something that is currently unavailable. As Fauci said, the virus sets the timetable. Not human beings.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Agreed but, again, this is about choosing between two bad options.

Just because poor students will fall behind more than others doesn't mean, therefore, that schools should be reopened without question.

The point is salient because public discourse typically doesn't involve the need to consider all aspects of this. It's broken down along tribal lines, which should be embarrassing to all of us. Either you're a conspiracy-loving Trump moron and you want everything lifted immediately OR you're opposed to ANY concern given to reopening, operating by the mantra "As long as there is one single case, everyone must shelter in place! All just to stick it to Trump. 

Newsom MIGHT prove to have done a good job with this. BUT, he must provide measurable objectives by which various things can reopen to the public. Playing games around what is shared and what is not, and when, is BAD policy. Unprecedented steps have been taken resulting in a significant curtailing of basic civil liberties. The LEAST that can be done is to be fully trasnparent and forthcoming with the citizens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

So not indefinitely then which is what you claimed.

Per what has been made available to the public, it IS indefinite. Newsom just said Wednesday he will NOT yet provide any date. So, the very definition of an "indefinite date". Rumors from what is heard from someone working in the governor's office (June 15 is the date trials begin appearing on the calendar) can't be relied on or seen as "definite". 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Then you're asking for something that is currently unavailable. As Fauci said, the virus sets the timetable. Not human beings.

No. I'm not expecting dates informing what the virus will do. I'm expecting metrics to be announced around how restrictions will change based on various outcomes of the virus. "After __ days of a decline in the rate of new cases, gatherings of up to 10 will be allowed". "As long as use of beds in hospitals/ICU units remains at or below __% of capacity, restaurants which have reconfigured to allow for social distancing will be able to welcome dine-in customers". Etc. All just very rough examples of what I'm expecting. Nothing of the kind requires anyone to know what the actual outcomes with the virus will be.

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

OR you're opposed to ANY concern given to reopening, operating by the mantra "As long as there is one single case, everyone must shelter in place! All just to stick it to Trump. 

This is a strawman of an argument that I have not seen espoused one single time.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Guru said:

This is a strawman of an argument that I have not seen espoused one single time.

ha ok, busted. It's just the impression given off by many in my social media feeds. I do think it wouldn't be that hard to find people who think we should shut down until there are zero cases, though. They probably live in Portland, San Francisco, or Williamsburg, NYC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Where does any of this fall into the DLS Dominance discussion? Asking for a friend I barely like.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1