De La Salle: California Dominance

SeaShells21

3 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

I would say Dela would have been even money GA Marrietta last season, most likely top 5 in Texas and possibly number 2 or 3 in FLA. In Ca. definitely 3rd. This leaves Maryland , and outside of SFA , they were equal with any other team imop. Doesn't mean they couldn't have lost, but chances of winning were very high.  I would safely put Dela top 15 last season, and maybe top 10. Will never really know for sure. 

You clearly have no idea about football outside of your state. That statement is just crazy.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SeaShells21 said:

May we cut the Spartans a little bit of slack, please? According to Massey’s, it appears De La Salle has only been bested by 13 different teams dating back to their amazing streak.

Only 6 teams in the nation have 2 wins against De La Salle.

Only 1 team holds a record 3 wins against them.

How long since they’ve lost to any California team not named Mater Dei, Bosco or Cen10? 

How long has it been since they’ve lost to a northern California team?

Are they viewed as less of a threat from struggling with OOS competitions or is it merely they haven’t figured out how to beat “Thing 1” or “Thing 2” yet?

What De La Salle has done, I don’t believe anyone else in the nation would be able to. They’re rightfully deserving of that California spotlight. Maybe with some effort, Thing 1 & Thing 2 will finally be able to live up to the Spartan fame...

...but for now the Spartans own California.

....but for now the Spartans own NORTHERN California.  They will never, ever again own California.

1 hour ago, Ga96 said:

You clearly have no idea about football outside of your state. That statement is just crazy.

Actually, I know way more than you think , and I stand by my statement. I think it is you who have no clue what goes on outside your state. Dela has been involved in so many big game over the years, and I have witnessed all of them, so I do have a gauge on what happens outside this state.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

How long since they’ve lost to any California team not named Mater Dei, Bosco or Cen10? 

How long has it been since they’ve lost to a northern California team?

These are very low bars to clear.

If only losing to the three best other teams (and having few, if any, wins over other quality opponents) and never losing to NorCal teams was the criteria for nationally elite then I think a lot more teams would be capable of that than you think.

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

There's one weird way of defining decades that doesn't start counting the next decade until 2011, 2021 etc. Maybe they are applying that dumb standard.

They listed 2010 entries, including  MC and Jefferson as a national ranked team.

In 2010,  STA was their #1 ranked FL team, with Jefferson #2 and MC #3 included in their national rated top 25 entries.       

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Bold fucking post CaliNortre. 

You got balls, son. 

BGW

Remember, we are talking about last season, not 2016 or 2017 . Dela was a solid tier 2 team last season, not tier 1. They played 2 of the top 4 teams in country last season and performed competitively  with both. How many tier 2 teams could you say would play with  with STA and SJB ?   I'm well aware of Marietta  and before last season, despite a lot of flack from GA. people ,  I predicted they would be right there at the end competing for top spot in GA. Watching games throughout season , I thought Lownds was best, with Colquitt possibly second ( though they faded down stretch ). If Dela and Marietta played, I can't see Marietta coming close to stopping Dela with that Defense . On the flip side, Marietta would exploit Dela's weakness in secondary, just like they did with Lowndes. I think game would be even .  I think most experts would agree with me looking at all the polls . Dela was damn good last season, way better than people who failed to pay attention at how good their offense was . 2016 and 2017 are still stuck in their minds, when Dela had no qb and very limited options on offense . If you watched Dela in SBG open against SJB, after a very bad start, they just shredded the number 1 team's defense , despite people from socal calling for SJB to absolutely crush the Spartans . I dare say that SJB was a definite tier above GA teams last season . Let's get Ga to step up and play the top teams in country like Dela has . The only top tier team Ga teams have played in recent memory , correct me if I'm wrong , is Grayson vs IMG in 2016 .  Actually I don't think my post is bold at all  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

Remember, we are talking about last season, not 2016 or 2017 . Dela was a solid tier 2 team last season, not tier 1. They played 2 of the top 4 teams in country last season and performed competitively  with both. How many tier 2 teams could you say would play with  with STA and SJB ?   I'm well aware of Marietta  and before last season, despite a lot of flack from GA. people ,  I predicted they would be right there at the end competing for top spot in GA. Watching games throughout season , I thought Lownds was best, with Colquitt possibly second ( though they faded down stretch ). If Dela and Marietta played, I can't see Marietta coming close to stopping Dela with that Defense . On the flip side, Marietta would exploit Dela's weakness in secondary, just like they did with Lowndes. I think game would be even .  I think most experts would agree with me looking at all the polls . Dela was damn good last season, way better than people who failed to pay attention at how good their offense was . 2016 and 2017 are still stuck in their minds, when Dela had no qb and very limited options on offense . If you watched Dela in SBG open against SJB, after a very bad start, they just shredded the number 1 team's defense , despite people from socal calling for SJB to absolutely crush the Spartans . I dare say that SJB was a definite tier above GA teams last season . Let's get Ga to step up and play the top teams in country like Dela has . The only top tier team Ga teams have played in recent memory , correct me if I'm wrong , is Grayson vs IMG in 2016 .  Actually I don't think my post is bold at all  

Ga will step up when they’re good a ready, we have a strong public school system statewide couple with strong community support. 

So, if you’re feeling froggy, we would love to host but we’re not spending a bank vault of cash to travel to Cali... and Buford can afford to do so, but won’t because it may or may not make sense. We have all the competition we need in Gwinnett county. 

As far as I’m concerned, until Cali gets the public’s in order and returns to a traditional setting of developing student/athletes into young men, we’ll pass on the “stepping up”, but thank you for your consideration. 

BGW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Ga will step up when they’re good a ready, we have a strong public school system statewide couple with strong community support. 

So, if you’re feeling froggy, we would love to host but we’re not spending a bank vault of cash to travel to Cali... and Buford can afford to do so, but won’t because it may or may not make sense. We have all the competition we need in Gwinnett county. 

As far as I’m concerned, until Cali gets the public’s in order and returns to a traditional setting of developing student/athletes into young men, we’ll pass on the “stepping up”, but thank you for your consideration. 

BGW

Everyone has their reasons as to why or why not . Dela is at a disadvantage also when it comes to these recruited up transfer academies . But it is what it is and you have to jump in and accept the landscape that now exists  if you want to lay claim that your state is the best etc. Texas this year seemed to really step up .  Personally I like to see Dela play the elites , and they are guaranteed  to play one  every year if they make it to the SBG Open . What is difficult ,  is if Dela wants to play an elite OOS , they have to do it early, and they always seem to be a far cry from when they are at their best towards end of season .  They are scheduled to play North Shore in Texas first game and I have no illusion to expect that they will win that game. But that game will help them to get better and give them a taste of what awaits when they step into the ring with Md or SJB. Being a Spartan fan , I feel privileged to see these great teams in state and oos . Competition is what it is all about , win or lose , even though losing is bitter .  And by the way , I do think Ga is one of the best  states for all sports. Having a top tier 1 team is where I question . For me, the last Tier 1 Ga team was Grayson in 2016 . But that is mop .  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Everyone has their reasons as to why or why not . Dela is at a disadvantage also when it comes to these recruited up transfer academies . But it is what it is and you have to jump in and accept the landscape that now exists  if you want to lay claim that your state is the best etc. Texas this year seemed to really step up .  Personally I like to see Dela play the elites , and they are guaranteed  to play one  every year if they make it to the SBG Open . What is difficult ,  is if Dela wants to play an elite OOS , they have to do it early, and they always seem to be a far cry from when they are at their best towards end of season .  They are scheduled to play North Shore in Texas first game and I have no illusion to expect that they will win that game. But that game will help them to get better and give them a taste of what awaits when they step into the ring with Md or SJB. Being a Spartan fan , I feel privileged to see these great teams in state and oos . Competition is what it is all about , win or lose , even though losing is bitter .  And by the way , I do think Ga is one of the best  states for all sports. Having a top tier 1 team is where I question . For me, the last Tier 1 Ga team was Grayson in 2016 . But that is mop .  

We're just gonna put these kids next level, and in a traditional setting as possible... we do have a distinct advantage as to open enrollment but it's controlled. Texas ain't going anywhere, they may have a private over for a game but I wouldn't call that stepping up.

You're asking apple to play oranges... doesn't make sense.

BGW

On 4/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

We're just gonna put these kids next level, and in a traditional setting as possible... we do have a distinct advantage as to open enrollment but it's controlled. Texas ain't going anywhere, they may have a private over for a game but I wouldn't call that stepping up.

You're asking apple to play oranges... doesn't make sense.

BGW

Well, Texas does have Kapolei scheduled.

...and De La Salle.

...and St Joseph’s Prep.

...and St Francis Academy.

...and USA ACADEMY.

...and St Thomas Aquinas, which a Texas team would be traveling to Ohio to play.

So, If that’s isn’t stepping up, I have no idea what is 😉

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Well, Texas does have Kapolei scheduled.

...and De La Salle.

...and St Joseph’s Prep.

...and St Francis Academy.

...and USA ACADEMY.

...and St Thomas Aquinas, which a Texas team would be traveling to Ohio to play.

So, If that’s isn’t stepping up, I have no idea what is 😉

Well, dammit man... why didn’t I get those notifications?

Yeah, I remember now. USAA? You should’ve just left it alone, see you just dented my argument. 

LOL

BGW

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

I blame this Negro; Jason Negro

0974F1FD-C9CA-4AC2-A785-C155BCBCE662.jpeg

Scouting up all of the talent in the area and attracting them to the Bosco.

That battle in 2012 was sweet. Poly warms up in green & changes to gun metal grey before kickoff. Fog like crazy. Everybody and their mother had just left Lakewood to go to Bosco too. 1 min 30 seconds left and Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster picks off Dolphins QB Josh Rosen to seal the deal for strong beach poly.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Obviously the above list didn't take quality OOS wins into consideration. DLS has being frighteningly mediocre since 2016. They're a regional power as of now. They must beat NS this season to re-enter the realm of national relevancy. 

That game will likely not be played this year.  In fact, I bet most of the big travel games don’t happen this year!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1