All Time USA Today Final Top 25: DeMatha is Second

BigDrop

Sometimes it is not just about being in the top 25 for one year or two; it is about the consistency of a program over 25, 30 or more years.  USA Today started their high school football rankings in 1982 with Moeller the first national champion.  Over the last 34 years De La Salle has won more championships, finished in the final top 25 more than anyone.

DeMatha is #2.

USA Today Final Ranking

1984 17 (10-0)
1986 6 (10-0) 
1998 13 (12-0)
2001 21 (11-0)
2003 14 (12-0)
2004 20
2005 14
2006 10 (12-0)
2015 12
2016 6 (12-0) (DeMatha's season is complete; final poll has not been released yet.)

Total of seven undefeated seasons.  Total of ten final USA Today rankings (assuming this year). There have been a number of other seasons where DeMatha was in the top 50 but I am only including the top 25 season ending polls.

Couldn't resist the hyperbole....

50 minutes ago, LOSer said:

No they're not.

Respectfully, but they are. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/year-by-year-rankings.htm lists each individual top 25 for the first 25 years.  I can also list links for each individual year up until last but that would take a bit of time.  If you believe someone else should be mentioned I would be interested in who and which years.  I believe this is actually an extremely interesting topic since 34 years is a long, long time to have continued outstanding success.  When you look at some of the schools from the '80's (Moeller, Valdosta, Central Bucks West, etc.) they have not be as successful for a long time (although Valdosta had an incredible 40-50 year run with two legendary coaches, Moeller had Faust and Central Bucks West had the enormously successful Mike Pettine.)  I mentioned Mater Dei basketball in another thread from 1984.  They are still on top with the same coach, Gary MacKnight.  Curtis, Sommerville, STA, Hampton and others have had incredible runs.  (In fact I believe STA is third on the list.)  

But four decades is a long time to still be on or near the top.  

DeMatha has ten top 25 final finishes in USA Today spanning those 34 years.  They were extremely fortunate when Elijah Brooks took over for Bill McGregor, when Mike Jones took over for Morgan Wooten in basketball.  

40 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Respectfully, but they are. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/year-by-year-rankings.htm lists each individual top 25 for the first 25 years.  I can also list links for each individual year up until last but that would take a bit of time.  If you believe someone else should be mentioned I would be interested in who and which years.  I believe this is actually an extremely interesting topic since 34 years is a long, long time to have continued outstanding success.  When you look at some of the schools from the '80's (Moeller, Valdosta, Central Bucks West, etc.) they have not be as successful for a long time (although Valdosta had an incredible 40-50 year run with two legendary coaches, Moeller had Faust and Central Bucks West had the enormously successful Mike Pettine.)  I mentioned Mater Dei basketball in another thread from 1984.  They are still on top with the same coach, Gary MacKnight.  Curtis, Sommerville, STA, Hampton and others have had incredible runs.  (In fact I believe STA is third on the list.)  

But four decades is a long time to still be on or near the top.  

DeMatha has ten top 25 final finishes in USA Today spanning those 34 years.  They were extremely fortunate when Elijah Brooks took over for Bill McGregor, when Mike Jones took over for Morgan Wooten in basketball.  

St. Anthony (Jersey City) and Bob Hurley Sr. have had the best run in HS basketball. 28 state championships (national record), 4 national titles and he's in the Basketball Hall of Fame. And the school is so poor that they have never had their own gym. 

• Like 2

If there ever was a paper machete title ...then Dematha has one.....if that math and data is accurate....I would say that means nothing ....now go from 2004 and on when real OOS began......if that was the case and then Don Bosco has to be king by their OOS record and who they played .......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Respectfully, but they are. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/year-by-year-rankings.htm lists each individual top 25 for the first 25 years.  I can also list links for each individual year up until last but that would take a bit of time.  If you believe someone else should be mentioned I would be interested in who and which years.

You listed 9 years for DeMatha prior to this season.

STA has 10.

1992, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015

So if DLS is #1 then DeMatha is definitely not #2.

And I have no idea if STA is even #2 or #3 or #4.

Makes no difference. You're wrong now and you were wrong last year when you posted this exact same thing on Dallas' forum.

DeMatha is #2.  As you note above STA had nine leading into this year, same as DeMatha.  Perhaps with two losses STA will still remain in the Top 25; certainly DeMatha, undefeated and with their season over, may even move up a space or two but DEFINITELY will have their tenth season ending top 25 finish in USA Today.

I noted above that I thought STA was third. With your assumed state championship you will tie.  

I do offer my condolences for your two losses this year.  Thus far.

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

From 2000-2011 DBP went 134-6. Those numbers will never ever be matched again by any BNU team. Also to note, the year DMC got blasted by SJR (2013), a 7-4 DBP team (who was thrashed by MC) beat SJR. Really hope the BNU, WCAC and Philly Catholics start crossing over more. 

Don Bosco also had a number of truly impressive, significant out of town victories including De La Salle, Prattville and Manatee among others that helped rush them to the front of the national stage.

56 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha is #2.  As you note above STA had nine leading into this year, same as DeMatha.

No.

They had 10 leading into this year (2016).

Count again, Pythagoras.

1992, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015

This year would be 11.

10 hours ago, SJR89 said:

If there ever was a paper machete title ...then Dematha has one.....if that math and data is accurate....I would say that means nothing ....now go from 2004 and on when real OOS began......if that was the case and then Don Bosco has to be king by their OOS record and who they played .......

When are you going to step outside of your box and realize that you're judging an entire program on one single game? You need to realize that DeMatha has beat better teams than SJR the last two seasons(Miami Central, American Heritage Plantation, SJCx2). One of those teams beat SJR by two scores and DM beat them twice in the same year with their two best players out. Congrats on the win a few years ago against big but slow DM team... Please, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

When are you going to step outside of your box and realize that you're judging an entire program on one single game?

But I'm not.

And DeMatha is overrated.

And boring.

And uninteresting.

You need to realize that DeMatha has beat better teams than SJR the last two seasons(Miami Central, American Heritage Plantation, SJCx2). One of those teams beat SJR by two scores and DM beat them twice in the same year with their two best players out. Congrats on the win a few years ago against big but slow DM team... Please, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

They beat a second round playoff loser by 1-point.

That's right up there with their huge 17 point win over first round loser Godby.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hssports/2009/09/carol-city-miami-lead-the-way-in-the-nfl.html

A glimpse back to 2009...  with Dematha at the top, followed by

Carol City, FL  (who's having a strong season finish currently and may possibly be the FL state winner rep in Houston).  Dillard and Miami Sr also were mentioned in the list from FL.

MJD quote about DLS as well in the article...  

Eleanor Roosevelt, Greenbelt, Maryland?  

• Like 1

Please, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

This is also quite ironic since DC and Maryland schools have to constantly start threads to self-congratulate and pat themselves on the back because nobody else cares about their teams.

Big Drop will start game threads about St. Mary's Ryken and he'll be the only one to post in it.

Then he posts his USA Today lie every year on or near December 1st.

Unsolicited.

Without context.

45 minutes ago, LOSer said:

They beat a second round playoff loser by 1-point.

That's right up there with their huge 17 point win over first round loser Godby.

They beat three national top 100 finishers that season. I'm sure you watched the 38-14 beat down of eventual Florida state champ Miami Central. Your strategic picking and choosing of facts is beyond played out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

They beat three national top 100 finishers that season. I'm sure you watched the 38-14 beat down of eventual Florida state champ Miami Central. Your strategic picking and choosing of facts is beyond played out.

You said they beat 3 teams better than 2013 SJR.

I don't think a second round loser in Florida 5A is better. DeMatha beat them by 1 point.

Care to tell me what your gripe is regarding that fact?

6 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I'm sure you watched the 38-14 beat down of eventual Florida state champ Miami Central. 

I actually turned it off because Central was that bad.

If you don't know that Central is capable of dropping 50 on Bosco and also capable of embarrassing themselves against Grayson and DeMatha then you don't know anything.

That's their identity. That's who they are.

Just like DeMatha is capable of getting beatdown by SJR and beating American Heritage by 1 on a missed 2-point conversation.

53 minutes ago, LOSer said:

But I'm not.

And DeMatha is overrated.

And boring.

And uninteresting.

You saying that they are overrated means little around here. Hence DeMatha's rankings across the board. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that you're not appreciated. You are. Like all forums, unrealistic extreme ends of the spectrum make these places great. 

1 minute ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Hence DeMatha's rankings across the board.

Yeah.

9 USA Today final rankings.

Never in the top 5.

A bunch of 11 and 12 game seasons wrapped up in November playing a bunch of overrated Catholic schools.

Then fishing for validation on message boards while everybody is still playing.

7 minutes ago, LOSer said:

You said they beat 3 teams better than 2013 SJR.

I don't think a second round loser in Florida 5A is better. DeMatha beat them by 1 point.

Care to tell me what your gripe is regarding that fact?

Did I say SJR 2013? Or are you making things up again? 

I said they've beat three teams that were better than SJR. So '15 MC and '15 AHP were better than '15 SJR. '16 SJC was two scores better than '16 SJR. 

6 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Yeah.

9 USA Today final rankings.

Never in the top 5.

A bunch of 11 and 12 game seasons wrapped up in November playing a bunch of overrated Catholic schools.

Then fishing for validation on message boards while everybody is still playing.

Yea overrated DC Catholic schools with wins against IMG, Manatee, Miami Central, and AHP when they were all nationally ranked. Makes no sense.

34 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Did I say SJR 2013? Or are you making things up again? 

I said they've beat three teams that were better than SJR. 

Sorry.

I can't assume that you meant to make any sense with this claim.

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

You need to realize that DeMatha has beat better teams than SJR the last two seasons(Miami Central, American Heritage Plantation, SJCx2). 

So the question is what would SJR (presumably this years team?) have anything to do with what SJR89 said, Central in 2015 or American Heritage in 2015?

Or really anything at all?

He mentions 2013 SJR's demolition of DeMatha and you respond by saying that three teams are better than this year's SJR?

I have to just assume that you're dumb.

37 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I said they've beat three teams that were better than SJR. So '15 MC and '15 AHP were better than '15 SJR. '16 SJC was two scores better than '16 SJR. 

Again, what does this year's SJR team have to do with anything?

Bizarre.