New CIFSS playoff proposal

eddiev

2 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

There's positive and negatives to any system they come up with. But until they do something about MD and Bosco and they continue to rule the Southern Section. Maybe time for public/private split 

What can they do?

are they breaking rules or something?

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

What can they do?

are they breaking rules or something?

What CIF SS did this year for the top classification worked out better than with the sixteen team format.  I could see maybe just going to a four team playoff in the highest bracket as being preferable to the other direction.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, On2whls said:

What CIF SS did this year for the top classification worked out better than with the sixteen team format.  I could see maybe just going to a four team playoff in the highest bracket as being preferable to the other direction.  

I don’t see that happening 

it just is what it is with them advertising a national schedule and shots at MNC’s kids are going to gravitate towards that

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I don’t see that happening 

it just is what it is with them advertising a national schedule and shots at MNC’s kids are going to gravitate towards that

According to the CIF, the changes they have been making are in order to improve competitive equity and reduce playoff blowouts.  They also use the “f” word , fairness.  “Fair” is a place you eat cotton candy and get on dangerous rides manned by folks with fewer than the average number of teeth.  Expanding the bracket back to 16 contradicts what CIF has been claiming as their goal.  Even going to four teams, there would be two blowouts and one competitive game.   

Of course, CIF could simply just be mouthing what they think the majority of their constituency wants to hear.  It is somewhat political after all.  

Last year, the playoffs worked out well enough.  Most of the D2 bracket were good games.  There is also no guarantee that 5-8 from the open bracket would have rolled their way to the D1AA game either.  

I’m okay with declaring divisional brackets after the season based on performance, but until the open bracket has more than 2 teams with a shot to move on, there’s no reason to have a bracket bigger than 8 teams.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

According to the CIF, the changes they have been making are in order to improve competitive equity and reduce playoff blowouts.  They also use the “f” word , fairness.  “Fair” is a place you eat cotton candy and get on dangerous rides manned by folks with fewer than the average number of teeth.  Expanding the bracket back to 16 contradicts what CIF has been claiming as their goal.  Even going to four teams, there would be two blowouts and one competitive game.   

Of course, CIF could simply just be mouthing what they think the majority of their constituency wants to hear.  It is somewhat political after all.  

Last year, the playoffs worked out well enough.  Most of the D2 bracket were good games.  There is also no guarantee that 5-8 from the open bracket would have rolled their way to the D1AA game either.  

I’m okay with declaring divisional brackets after the season based on performance, but until the open bracket has more than 2 teams with a shot to move on, there’s no reason to have a bracket bigger than 8 teams.  

I agree with you and I think last year worked out good for so cal.... And I do believe that the CIF did this for “Flexibility” where they can but 4, 6 or 8 teams in D1 depending on how good MD and SJB are....

You could have had 6 in D1 last year and Been fine and like you said the 7 and 8 D1 teams would not have rolled through the D2 playoffs by any means....

This year D1 will be more Competitive, I just have this feeling that MD and SJB are going to take a step back....

Especially with SJB declining to play SFA on SJB’s home field.... That tells me something is not right there... MD hasn’t found a QB yet and neither has SJB.... With a “Regular” QB those teams will be beatable By Servite, Cen10 and MV....

3 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Especially with SJB declining to play SFA on SJB’s home field.... That tells me something is not right there... MD hasn’t found a QB yet and neither has SJB.... With a “Regular” QB those teams will be beatable By Servite, Cen10 and MV....

The difference will come down to line play.  Both have more and better athletes across the lines on both sides of the ball.  This past year, both aired it out a lot, and who wouldn’t, given the QB’s and all the impact receivers they both had.  Both teams have potent backfields so I expect they will bulldoze opponents more this year while the passing game is developing.

MV, Servite, or Cen10 could make the games more respectable but I don’t think the gap will have closed enough.  

MV/Servite should be a good matchup.  I’m really curious to see who else MV takes on to help prepare for the playoffs.  

5 hours ago, frankyjames said:

You lost your lane to a San Diego team "bro."

So how is Folsom’s OOL schedule coming along?  Your boys gonna pick themselves up, shake off the dust from the Trail and get some Nor Cal top 10’s lined up (VC, Serra SM, Fresno Central....), or will it be the usual?

In fishing terms, is Folsom gonna pick up the bass pole, or drop to lighter gear and go for crap(pie).   Cen10’s got the heavy gear out, we going tuna all the way.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, On2whls said:

So how is Folsom’s OOL schedule coming along?  Your boys gonna pick themselves up, shake off the dust from the Trail and get some Nor Cal top 10’s lined up (VC, Serra SM, Fresno Central....), or will it be the usual?

In fishing terms, is Folsom gonna pick up the bass pole, or drop to lighter gear and go for crap(pie).   Cen10’s got the heavy gear out, we going tuna all the way.

Are you guys going to travel outside of SoCal for the FIRST time in school history?

:) 

I'd love to know. San Diego teams all over the world need to know!