NFL Playoff Players You Saw in High School

15yds4gibberish

I watched a significant chunk of the NFC games this weekend.  Every time I see Kyle Rudolph, I think of him playing for Cinci Elder in high school, rising up to make the catch (a 4th and 15 I think) that basically ended the Independence HS win streak at 109 games.  Got me to thinking about other players on the field that I saw play in high school.  A lot of us remember Dalvin Cook  running over DBP like it was yesterday.  I remember the arguments about Arik Armsteads Pleasant Grove HS team being overrated.  Nick Bosa was great then, and he's great now -- We just like him better as a 49'er.  I'm sure there were others, but those were the ones I'm remembering this morning.

Back in 2010, over on the Northern CA boards,  there was a guy who came on a few weeks before the State Championship games.  He called himself something like PalyCoach, saying he was a retired baseball coach from Palo Alto high school.  Throughout the Paly playoff run, he kept saying  "I know athletes when I see them, and Palo Alto is going to beat Centennial."  A lot of folks, including me, thought he was nuts, but PalyCoach never wavered, accepting all bets (mostly crab sandwich lunches at some place he really liked  - He was quirky that way).   I'm pretty sure  @Pops  remembers him.  Part of what made PalyCoach a legend  was he only ever posted during that playoff run.  He made his crazy call, got it right, collected his winnings, and never posted again.  Anyway, watching Davante Adams last night, reminded me that PalyCoach really did know athletes when he saw them... 

Funny thing.  I don't think I remember seeing any of the QB's in the games this weekend when they were in HS.  

• Like 4

I was watching the Chiefs yesterday and remember seeing their DT Mike Pennel play his senior year in his first HS football game. It was 6 games into the season, and there he was, lined up at NG, 6'4" 300#...and he could move. 

He had been academically ineligible for the first 3 years of high school, and finally got a chance to play midway thru his senior season. I felt bad for the opposing Center -- Pennel had bad intentions that night.

He bounced around colleges and ended up in the NFL. He definitely had the body type and athleticism of an NFL guy in high school, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I watched a significant chunk of the NFC games this weekend.  Every time I see Kyle Rudolph, I think of him playing for Cinci Elder in high school, rising up to make the catch (a 4th and 15 I think) that basically ended the Independence HS win streak at 109 games.  Got me to thinking about other players on the field that I saw play in high school.  A lot of us remember Dalvin Cook  running over DBP like it was yesterday.  I remember the arguments about Arik Armsteads Pleasant Grove HS team being overrated.  Nick Bosa was great then, and he's great now -- We just like him better as a 49'er.  I'm sure there were others, but those were the ones I'm remembering this morning.

Back in 2010, over on the Northern CA boards,  there was a guy who came on a few weeks before the State Championship games.  He called himself something like PalyCoach, saying he was a retired baseball coach from Palo Alto high school.  Throughout the Paly playoff run, he kept saying  "I know athletes when I see them, and Palo Alto is going to beat Centennial."  A lot of folks, including me, thought he was nuts, but PalyCoach never wavered, accepting all bets (mostly crab sandwich lunches at some place he really liked  - He was quirky that way).   I'm pretty sure  @Pops  remembers him.  Part of what made PalyCoach a legend  was he only ever posted during that playoff run.  He made his crazy call, got it right, collected his winnings, and never posted again.  Anyway, watching Davante Adams last night, reminded me that PalyCoach really did know athletes when he saw them... 

Funny thing.  I don't think I remember seeing any of the QB's in the games this weekend when they were in HS.  

I do remember him — definitely had the George Costanza leaving on a high note down 

am trying to remember that Paly team — didn’t they have a lineman that was even better than Adams (for HSFB impact)?  Anderson?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pops said:

I do remember him — definitely had the George Costanza leaving on a high note down 

am trying to remember that Paly team — didn’t they have a lineman that was even better than Adams (for HSFB impact)?  Anderson?

Ha!  I'm glad you remember that story too. Coach was one of a kind -- Especially when Cen10 was top 5 in the country (true) and Paly was top 5 in Santa Clara county (I kid...I kid...sorta).  

I think you are thinking about Kevin Anderson.  He was a stud LB at Stanford, but I don't know if he made the NFL or not.  I know he at least got some looks.  That Paly team quietly had 5 or 6 HSFB impact players -- Coach knew what he was looking at long before anybody else did.   

• Like 2

Right off the top of my head I know that Colquitt County's own Cameron Erving is at Kansas City. He got sidelined earlier in the season with a shoulder surgery, but,  I noticed he had pads on in the game against Houston but never went in the game. 

Definitely saw him play in quite a few high school games, of course most people aren't paying a lot of attention to the linemen unless they screw up. 

Hoping that the next time we see him in Moultrie he has a superbowl ring. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Ha!  I'm glad you remember that story too. Coach was one of a kind -- Especially when Cen10 was top 5 in the country (true) and Paly was top 5 in Santa Clara county (I kid...I kid...sorta).  

I think you are thinking about Kevin Anderson.  He was a stud LB at Stanford, but I don't know if he made the NFL or not.  I know he at least got some looks.  That Paly team quietly had 5 or 6 HSFB impact players -- Coach knew what he was looking at long before anybody else did.   

Totally remember him. He was borderline block that year, but unlike block he was right. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

This year's NFL playoff players?

5 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

k. Williams , I used to block for him on the sophomore and jv teams and threw him TDS in gym class , 

• Like 1