NS RB Zach Evans

rockinl

16 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

You are referring to Kendall Milton. There were multiple high level transfers that MD did not accept last year.

Pretty sure it was Zach Evans — am sure the rumor was about a TX kid 

could’ve been/ probably was bs but it was a credible rumor discussed for A bit on here in last off-season 

7 hours ago, Pops said:

Pretty sure it was Zach Evans — am sure the rumor was about a TX kid 

could’ve been/ probably was bs but it was a credible rumor discussed for A bit on here in last off-season 

Zach Evens was just a rumor and BS. I would not consider some things discussed here as ‘credible’. Kendall Milton on the other hand was pretty much a forgone conclusion. Even sportswriters were saying publicly he was going to MD. That was before the administration closed the door to multiple transfers.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, HSFBfan said:

Miami needs to go get ray lewis and ed Reed on their coaching staff

Testaverde as their qb coach

Greg Olson as their TE coach

Rb coach mcghee gore Portis etc

Yes yes I was correct Miami needs to put ed Reed on their staff

What does miami do.......put ed reed on their staff. Man oh man I love being right 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28601343/ed-reed-returns-miami-hurricanes-chief-staff%3fplatform=amp

At present and moving forward, Miami=UCLA. The programs have the same strengths and weaknesses. Tons of local talent to recruit, attractive campuses in  highly desirable urban areas with a ton to see and do. But, the lack of a consistently passionate fan base, on-campus stadium, and mega-donations earmarked for football figure to keep either program from being elite nationally with any consistency. Both programs' fans tend to blame just the A.D. and/or coaches, and both largely miss the point entirely.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Guru said:

You seriously missed with Miami on this.

They have a consistently passionate fan base the issue is that it's also delusional.

I could have clarified that I was referring to turnout. The fans who are present may well be every bit as passionate as you suggest. But, the biggest crowd to see a UM home game this season was 54,538. Last season, when the Canes had one of their best seasons of the previous 15 seasons, and there was a rare, late-season home game vs. a highly ranked Notre Dame team, average attendance was 61,469. Even that figure failed to place Miami in the top 20 in the nation for attendance. That figure put them more than 20,000 per game shy of #13, in-state rival Florida, more than 30,000 per game short of #9 Georgia, and 40-50,000 per game shy of the top 5. This severely impacts both their revenue for football, as well as the quality of the atmosphere for home games, which impacts both current players and prospective recruits. 

This also doesn't address the rate of booster contributions to football. Most/all of the consistently highly rated programs have mega-donors who contribute huge sums of money to towards facilities, coaches salaries, benefits etc. I don't think Miami does nearly as well as the national elite in this category, either. 

You have to spend your way to becoming a nationally elite program. Miami and UCLA figure to struggle to be more than top 20 programs as a result.

13 hours ago, badrouter said:

I could have clarified that I was referring to turnout. The fans who are present may well be every bit as passionate as you suggest. But, the biggest crowd to see a UM home game this season was 54,538. Last season, when the Canes had one of their best seasons of the previous 15 seasons, and there was a rare, late-season home game vs. a highly ranked Notre Dame team, average attendance was 61,469. Even that figure failed to place Miami in the top 20 in the nation for attendance. That figure put them more than 20,000 per game shy of #13, in-state rival Florida, more than 30,000 per game short of #9 Georgia, and 40-50,000 per game shy of the top 5. This severely impacts both their revenue for football, as well as the quality of the atmosphere for home games, which impacts both current players and prospective recruits.

Miami has had more season ticket holders than Florida State for the last 2-3 years.

You're getting your seasons wrong. Last season, Miami went 7-6. You're thinking of two years ago. Even then 61,469 represents 95% capacity at their home stadium (64,767).

Florida, Georgia, etc. play in 85,000 to 90,000 seat stadiums. It's physically impossible for Miami to ever be in the top 20 in attendance playing at Hard Rock Stadium.

The idea of the bandwagon Miami fan is largely a myth. It's a small private school in a pro sports town. So naturally when they aren't winning or compelling the public will use their disposal income on some other form of entertainment.

But go look at Florida State's attendance this year and last year. It was abysmal. Go look at Florida's at the end of Zook's tenure or during the Muschamp, McElwain days. Nobody was showing up.

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

Miami has had more season ticket holders than Florida State for the last 2-3 years.

You're getting your seasons wrong. Last season, Miami went 7-6. You're thinking of two years ago. Even then 61,469 represents 95% capacity at their home stadium (64,767).

Florida, Georgia, etc. play in 85,000 to 90,000 seat stadiums. It's physically impossible for Miami to ever be in the top 20 in attendance playing at Hard Rock Stadium.

The idea of the bandwagon Miami fan is largely a myth. It's a small private school in a pro sports town. So naturally when they aren't winning or compelling the public will use their disposal income on some other form of entertainment.

But go look at Florida State's attendance this year and last year. It was abysmal. Go look at Florida's at the end of Zook's tenure or during the Muschamp, McElwain days. Nobody was showing up.

I'm getting old and the seasons are all running together 😂 Miami averaged 58,682 the year they beat Notre Dame in November.

However, the bigger point remains the same: Miami's lack of attendance and lack of donor contributions directly to football-whatever the reasons for this are- figure to keep UM from consistently being a top 10 program. You don't have to tell me that there is a lot more to do in South Florida than Gainesville; I've spent plenty of time in both places (5 years in Gainesville). You don't have to convince me that it's much healthier and a much richer quality of life when you're involved with a myriad of interests rather than just being a football fan. (That's part of the reason why I voluntarily moved to southern California almost 18 years ago). 

Miami wasn't getting crowds that were on par with the national top 15 or so even when they played in the OB. For the reasons you mention. Same goes for UCLA. It's a larger school than UM, but they never had a truly dominant stretch as a national power. And there's even more to do in L.A. than in Miami. 

Just run the numbers on something like ticket revenue. If schools charged even a measly $10 a ticket, Georgia getting 30,000 more fans per game means they bring in $300,000 more per game. Multiplied times 6 (7 or 8 in some years) and you're in the area of a $2 million discrepancy in revenue from ticket sales alone, per season. Over five years, we're around $10 million difference. Etc. That doesn't suddenly cease to matter just because Miami/L.A. has awesome beaches, pro sports etc.  

Not related to football, but I recall choosing infield box seats on game day in 2003 during a playoff run (for under $30 each I believe) for the Marlins.  It wasn't until very late in the season when the seats started to fill up to a reasonable level.   The attendance for baseball at their home games is low and also aided by playing teams like the Mets, Cubs, Phillies and Cardinals.  With these opponents, at times it feels like they are the home team in Miami.