Soul searching time for DLS

Sammyswordsman

11 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Even if this scenario occurred; given 3 minutes to work, SJB still probably would have won 49-45.

The entire need for hypothetical thought experiments here does a disservice to DLS and their fan base. The Spartans acquitted themselves just fine, but the final score is the final score.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Even if this scenario occurred; given 3 minutes to work, SJB still probably would have won 49-45.

Agree!... I didn't say they would have won, but now the Pressure would be on SJB to "Win The Game" coming from behind in a game where they were a Huge Favorite... That is a lot of Pressure for HS Kids and who know's what would have happened, Fumble, Int, etc... You are right though, Based on DJ's record, he likely would have drove them down for the win...

None of it matters though because none of that happened and DLS lost by 20... But I am optimistic and believe in The Spartans and Think Next year will be a different story... :) 

1 hour ago, Pops said:

I’m absolutely NOT saying that DLS should have won 

am saying DLS can play with those teams

this team a bit better than ‘17-18 and much better than ‘16 — those were historically down DLS teams playing the first academy teams and they still showed well every time 

this team was clearly capable of winning, but didn’t.   Given the talent disparity, I can’t be disappointed in that — SJB has a bigger and faster athlete (NOT stronger) at every position.  But, this team gives me confidence that if DLS puts together at least an average team (and I think these guys were average at best), they can compete with those future Sunday studs

It was another good morale victory for the Spartans. There fans should continue to be proud. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

Given your standards for other teams it's funny that you think 56-33, 52-21, 35-21 and 49-28 losses are good showings.

Except the 2nd game, the game was in doubt in 2nd half of all and, the average margin is about the same as dls’s wins in 6 of the previous 7 SBGs when the talent was more even 

I’d like to win — I’m just saying that, given the talent disparity, my adjusted expectations have been met or exceeded and certainly, I’m not bemoaning that DLS needs to go out and recruit bigger/ better athletes 

MD/ SJB are clearly on a different level from where DLS has ever been (and just about any other team ever)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Every time you refer to “Academy Team” you are making an excuse.....it’s what you do

Let’s agree to disagree 

I think calling a spade a spade is just that

MD and SJB basically took the IMG model and made it work even better 

it’s legal 

they’re better teams than have ever been seen 

I concede all that 

for me, I’m only objecting to socal guys interpreting that as somehow they play superior football 

that’s a bridge not connected on either side 

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

they’re better teams than have ever been seen 

I concede all that 

for me, I’m only objecting to socal guys interpreting that as somehow they play superior football 

In one breath they're better teams than have ever been seen.

But in the next he's objecting to the claim that they play superior football.

🤔

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pops said:

MD and SJB basically took the IMG model and made it work even better 

You're just talking out of your ass here.

How IMG operates is not allowed by CIF rules. If you are going to make this claim you need to be able to back it up with actual facts. You can't just make this claim because "you feel like it is the case" and your feelings are hurt because DLS keeps losing.

This is the equivalent of saying "the field goal was good, I was just going based off what the announcers said." Objective reality and someone's opinion are quite often very distinct things.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bestcoast said:

It was another good morale victory for the Spartans. There fans should continue to be proud. 

At DLS, it’s not about winning, it’s about how much of your potential you can reach 

that just normally translates to winning, but neither me nor any DLS guy I know is very bothered by NOT beating SJB/ MD

We’re happy it wasn’t a running clock in Q2 as predicted 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

In one breath they're better teams than have ever been seen.

But in the next, he's objective to the claim that they play superior football.

🤔

I know you mean objecting and not objective 

is there a contradiction?  I think not 

Socal putting all their best athletes on 2 teams doesn’t make socal football better or worse, does it?

• Thumbs Down 1

The team in DLS' spot or, in other words, the losing team.

DLS beat a couple of really stout Centennial teams but other than that? They beat far lesser teams/programs.

Well, that’s your opinion

all we know is that DLS regularly beat whoever they sent as their #1 team like a red headed step child that stole something 

Now, they’re playing against teams with non-starters with P5 offers 

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

all we know is that DLS regularly beat whoever they sent as their #1 team like a red headed step child that stole something 

Yeah, when they got to play Centennial, Westlake, Crenshaw and Servite then they were able to win.

When they sent St. John Bosco and Mater Dei.....not so much.

5 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

You're just talking out of your ass here.

How IMG operates is not allowed by CIF rules. If you are going to make this claim you need to be able to back it up with actual facts. You can't just make this claim because "you feel like it is the case" and you're feelings are hurt because DLS keeps losing.

This is the equivalent of saying "the field goal was good, I was just going based off what the announcers said." Objective reality and someone's opinion are quite often very distinct things.

I’m not going into the CIF archives to make my case — I don’t need to 

Negro clearly took a different approach in 2013 — no CA team ever had won a championship by importing so much talent 

CIF didn’t blink and the arms race was on 

Am happy to compare talent of both schools before and after but, again, I’m not going to spend time proving something so blatantly obvious 

I’ve been clear that neither SJB not md are violating CIF rules, but I do find it amusing that CIF would forbid teams to play IMG concurrently to watching “this” develop — seems very hypocritical 

• Like 1

Yeah, when they got to play Centennial, Westlake, Crenshaw and Servite then they were able to win.

When they sent St. John Bosco and Mater Dei.....not so much.

We’re not arguing 

no team, including STA’s best historically, would be expected to beat the teams that MD and SJB have been fielding recently 

right?

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

We’re not arguing 

no team, including STA’s best historically, would be expected to beat the teams that MD and SJB have been fielding recently 

right?

And most teams with a national profile would be expected to beat Centennial, Crenshaw, Servite and Westlake.

So when the teams are elite, DLS doesn't win. When they're not they usually do.

There's nothing controversial here.