CFP rankings

HSFBfan

This way of picking the top 4 teams is so subjective that's why they should never change it! Gives us all something to complain about!

Notice how they say SOS is important, implying they want you to schedule tough ooc games. But if you do and you lose them it's "they're out cuz they have 2 losses".

Take this scenario. I am not saying that I think Oklahoma should be in over Washington or that the Big 12 schedule is as tough as the Pac 12's schedule is but Washington has 1 loss and played Rutgers, Idaho and Portland St out of conference. Oklahoma played Ohio State and Houston OOC and lost to both and have no shot of getting in because they "have 2 losses".

So if Oklahoma had scheduled 3 slappies OOC they would be undefeated right now and probably be in the final four! Not saying they should be just that there's no rhyme or reason how teams are picked!

Just now, Connman said:

This way of picking the top 4 teams is so subjective that's why they should never change it! Gives us all something to complain about!

Notice how they say SOS is important, implying they want you to schedule tough ooc games. But if you do and you lose them it's "they're out cuz they have 2 losses".

Take this scenario. I am not saying that I think Oklahoma should be in over Washington or that the Big 12 schedule is as tough as the Pac 12's schedule is but Washington has 1 loss and played Rutgers, Idaho and Portland St out of conference. Oklahoma played Ohio State and Houston OOC and lost to both and have no shot of getting in because they "have 2 losses".

So if Oklahoma had scheduled 3 slappies OOC they would be undefeated right now and probably be in the final four! Not saying they should be just that there's no rhyme or reason how teams are picked!

I can understand this argument. I think at the end of the day they have to rate the conferences.

SEC

ACC

Big Ten 

Pac 12

Big 12

I listed these in no particular order.......Then based upon that let teams decide what they have to do OOC. Like when the SEC was in ur guys opinion beating up on everyone did they really have to play strong OOC games when their conference games are so tough. On the other end does the BIG 12 who i think we agree on stinks do they have to play high OOC to make up for the bad conference. 

34 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Can only play teams that are on the schedule. Instead of saying PSU doesnt deserve to be there or whatever should OSU have showed up and won the game on the field. OSU controlled their way to the BIG championship. They blew it when they went to PSU and lost. 

HSFBfan i wasn't speaking of Penn St and OSU but in general. We can change it to Michigan and Penn St. Michigan had to play a good Wisconsin team during the regular season and Penn St did not! If they played a identical schedule the odds are they could of had the same conference record and then Michigan had the h2h over Penn St!

What if 2 teams in the other division tied for the best record overall but 1 team played OOD games with Ohio State and Michigan and the other team played Rutgers and Maryland? Would you say one should be penalized by the committee because they weren't awarded the division title?

1 minute ago, Connman said:

HSFBfan i wasn't speaking of Penn St and OSU but in general. We can change it to Michigan and Penn St. Michigan had to play a good Wisconsin team during the regular season and Penn St did not! If they played a identical schedule the odds are they could of had the same conference record and then Michigan had the h2h over Penn St!

What if 2 teams in the other division tied for the best record overall but 1 team played OOD games with Ohio State and Michigan and the other team played Rutgers and Maryland? Would you say one should be penalized by the committee because they weren't awarded the division title?

Michigan beat Wisconsin by 7....i believe Michigan should have beaten OSU but they had i believe 3 turnovers including a costly fumble on the 1. 

If you listened to Gary Danielson he basically said the top 4 should be for conference champions. Idk if i believe in that way of thinking. Penn state will play Wisconsin on Saturday. So if Wisconsin wins and i believe they very well could. Lets see how Barkley runs against a very good wisconsin defense. If Wisconsin wins that game does it hurt OSU since the team that they lost too would have now 3 losses. 

12 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I can understand this argument. I think at the end of the day they have to rate the conferences.

SEC

ACC

Big Ten 

Pac 12

Big 12

I listed these in no particular order.......Then based upon that let teams decide what they have to do OOC. Like when the SEC was in ur guys opinion beating up on everyone did they really have to play strong OOC games when their conference games are so tough. On the other end does the BIG 12 who i think we agree on stinks do they have to play high OOC to make up for the bad conference. 

I agree with you but the exact same Oklahoma team that is undefeated (easy OOC games) might make the final 4 while the same OKLA team (playing OSU and Houston) is not going to make the playoffs!

Just now, Connman said:

I agree with you but the exact same Oklahoma team that is undefeated (easy OOC games) might make the final 4 while the same OKLA team (playing OSU and Houston) is not going to make the playoffs!

I can understand your point. The committee should hold onto SOS more and not so much records. Let these teams challenge themselves without the fear of getting killed in the rankings. 

17 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

USC is a completely different team now but have to stay behind a certain amount of teams because of early losses.

16 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

If you want 4 best teams in the country RIGHT now you would have to take Bama, Ohio St, Michigan, and USC. 

It's supposed to be the 4 best teams over the course of the season in its entirety. Not the 4 teams playing the best right now. If that were the case, then a team could conceivably lose every game the first half of the season then go on a roll and dominate the 2nd half and get in.

USC's 3-losses have to factor in. There's a big difference between 2 losses and 3 losses this time of year.

10 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

The move to expand to 8 teams will probably gain some momentum this year. 

I disagree. I used to believe 8 would be good, but no longer. I read a great point recently where they talked about how the end of the season would be greatly diminished if they expanded to 8. Using this season as an example, Michigan v. Ohio State wouldn't have had the same luster nor would the teams play with the same fire knowing they were both in regardless of who lost.

Standing pat with 4 makes every game meaningful and also provides incentives to beef up the non-conference schedule.

8 hours ago, THS2011 said:

They say head to head and whoever wins the champ game matters the most but then they do not apply it to the teams they want in. 

Head-to-head and a conference title do matter -- as does SoS and common opponents -- when things are close. But when things aren't close, those things don't matter and don't need to be used as a tiebreaker.

Look to pro sports for an example of this. They only use head-2-head, conference/division records, SoS, etc. when teams are tied. If there is a 1 game disparity between the teams, those things aren't considered.

So, when it comes to Ohio State and Penn State, the Buckeyes have one less loss and accomplished that while playing a tougher schedule (not easier). That's why h2h doesn't and shouldn't come into play.

However, when it comes to Michigan and Penn State or Wisconsin, the h2h should come into play because they all have 2 losses and things are close enough to need a tiebreaker.

7 hours ago, Connman said:

But Michigan beat Penn State?

I was wondering because all 3 teams were 5-1 in their division but Penn State and Ohio State were 8-1 in conference!

If they went by conference record I understand Penn State won the h2h, but do they go by the division record? Then it would of been a 3 way tie?

They weren't all 8-1 in conference. Michigan had 2 losses in conference. OSU and PSU each had 1. So PSU won the division based upon h2h over the Buckeyes.

That's why Michigan's loss to Iowa was so impactful -- because it gave PSU a chance at the division title. Had the Wolverines beat Iowa, PSU would have had zero shot at the division title. Because, had Michigan beat OSU, they would have been champs. If OSU had won, it would have created a 3-way tie at 8-1 with no h2h tiebreaker because OSU > Michigan > PSU > OSU.

In that case, OSU would have won the division based upon SoS and benchmarks wins, I believe.

In the end, Michigan's 2nd conference loss coupled with PSU's h2h over OSU settled things. But that's merely for the BIG10 crown, which doesn't care about non-conference wins/losses at that point. PSU could have been 0-4 in non-conference and it wouldn't mean a thing. But in the realm of the CFP, those games certainly do matter which is why OSU is ahead of PSU in the CFP.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

What makes OSU win over OU better than Michigan's win over Colorado?

Not understanding why you are asking that question. What does it matter at this point?

But off the top of my head, OSU beat OU on the road whereas Michigan beat Colorado at home. Depending upon whether Colorado and/or OU win their conference titles could also boost those wins.

19 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

How so? If WASH is left out, it's because of two important reasons. Their non-league schedule was awful and their conference is too. So they wouldn't be deserving. There are more than several teams that would be undefeated or equally have one loss playing the Huskies schedule.

No. Why should they? OSU played a tougher schedule than Penn State and only has 1 loss. Penn State has 2 losses. Things aren't equal wherein the head-to-head and conference title would come into play.

Tonight, the chairman of the CFP committee went on record saying that tOSU and PSU are not close to each other. And he's spot on.

USC beat Washington convincingly and is one of the hottest teams but they aren't ahead of the Huskies for the same reason. Things aren't equal.

Who is to say Penn State wouldn't beat Ohio State today? Bottom line is they beat them already if they beat Wisc handily then PSU deserves a spot over OSU.  When this crap first started they gave OSU the nod over TCU. All we heard about was how a conference championships "weighs" so much. There is nothing different this yr except OSU will not be a conference champion. 

I think PSU is getting over looked big time. If they beat Wisc like OSU did a couple of yrs ago. They deserve a shot. 

Bottom line is the committee has one responsiblity: put the best 4 teams in the final 4. Conference championships are not a prerequisite to making the final 4. It will be interesting to see if Clemson and Washington win they will be in along with Bama. Then if PSU wins will they jump OSU to get in. The more we talk about all these scenarios the more popular college football gets.

11 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Bottom line is the committee has one responsiblity: put the best 4 teams in the final 4. Conference championships are not a prerequisite to making the final 4. It will be interesting to see if Clemson and Washington win they will be in along with Bama. Then if PSU wins will they jump OSU to get in. The more we talk about all these scenarios the more popular college football gets.

The problem for me is this frigging committee keeps changing the rules. One yr it is conference champions get the nod. The next yr it is strength of conference. Then it is SOS. They just need to post the bylaws for everyone to see and go from there....or publish how each member voted. Hold them accountable.  

Just now, thc6795 said:

The problem for me is this frigging committee keeps changing the rules. One yr it is conference champions get the nod. The next yr it is strength of conference. Then it is SOS. They just need to post the bylaws for everyone to see and go from there....or publish how each member voted. Hold them accountable.  

I heard an interview with Herbstreit and he said the problem is the media keeps putting out that the conference championship is a must for the final 4 which is completely not true. The interview had nothing to do with OSU. It would be better for them to post these bylaws but these people have not met together once this year. They meet via video conference I believe. This weekend they will all be together watching the last games before deciding. I know its not a perfect system but it sure as hell is better than the old BCS, Bowl Coalition etc etc from years ago. And again this is so much subjective. 

2 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

I heard an interview with Herbstreit and he said the problem is the media keeps putting out that the conference championship is a must for the final 4 which is completely not true. The interview had nothing to do with OSU. It would be better for them to post these bylaws but these people have not met together once this year. They meet via video conference I believe. This weekend they will all be together watching the last games before deciding. I know its not a perfect system but it sure as hell is better than the old BCS, Bowl Coalition etc etc from years ago. And again this is so much subjective. 

I really hate it. I liked the BCS better. I think people are swayed by making big money match-ups. The 4 best teams right now are Bama, OSU, USC and PSU. I watched PSU for the first time this week, they took apart a MSU team that Ohio State struggled with. I am not sure they cant beat OSU again. USC right now is on fire. Once they made the QB move they have been a different team. Im not saying they would beat Bama right now but that game would be competitive. I think SC beats Clemson and would be a toss up with OSU. 

Who are the "best" teams though?  How many times has the result of a game changed minds?  Decide it on the field as much as possible.           Winning a conference championship is fulfillment of a goal everyone has - it is tangible evidence of performance.  It does not mean you will win a NC, but it should win you a shot.

16 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I really hate it. I liked the BCS better. I think people are swayed by making big money match-ups. The 4 best teams right now are Bama, OSU, USC and PSU. I watched PSU for the first time this week, they took apart a MSU team that Ohio State struggled with. I am not sure they cant beat OSU again. USC right now is on fire. Once they made the QB move they have been a different team. Im not saying they would beat Bama right now but that game would be competitive. I think SC beats Clemson and would be a toss up with OSU. 

Again USC has 3 losses, no conference title and got crushed by Bama. Yes they are playing very good now but in no way do I think they should be in the final four. Bama is a given. Again if Clemson and Washington win I think they are in and deservedly so. Then it will all boil down to the Big 10. OSU has only one loss. But that was to PSU. Mich lost to OSU in double OT. Wisconsin lost to OSU in OT. All very slim margins. Whatever either one of us feel there will be controversy and some pissed off teams. I think this is what they want. Every game is really almost a playoff game now. 

19 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Who are the "best" teams though?  How many times has the result of a game changed minds?  Decide it on the field as much as possible.           Winning a conference championship is fulfillment of a goal everyone has - it is tangible evidence of performance.  It does not mean you will win a NC, but it should win you a shot.

They can easily make that one of the standards to make the final 4 but not sure they will.

4 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Who is to say Penn State wouldn't beat Ohio State today? Bottom line is they beat them already if they beat Wisc handily then PSU deserves a spot over OSU.  When this crap first started they gave OSU the nod over TCU. All we heard about was how a conference championships "weighs" so much. There is nothing different this yr except OSU will not be a conference champion. 

I think PSU is getting over looked big time. If they beat Wisc like OSU did a couple of yrs ago. They deserve a shot. 

I think you're in the minority believing they would win a second game. They had to rely upon a fluke blocked kick return at home. On a neutral field when OSU is actually taking them seriously, they might not be so fortunate. The Miami Dolphins have managed a win against the Patriots in each of the past 3 seasons -- but were they even close to the same level team? Nope.

OSU has lost 1 game. PSU has lost 2 -- all while playing an easier schedule. They don't deserve jack.

And you're wrong about nothing being different. In 2014, things between OSU and TCU were closer than they are between OSU and PSU this season thus the conference title thing came into play.

4 hours ago, Bormio said:

Winning a conference championship is fulfillment of a goal everyone has - it is tangible evidence of performance.  It does not mean you will win a NC, but it should win you a shot.

Why? Not all conferences are created equal. Why should a team get rewarded for winning a weak conference? Makes no sense to me at all. Not only that, these conferences are so large nowadays that the teams don't all play one another which means some teams have an easier path than others.

7 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I think you're in the minority believing they would win a second game. They had to rely upon a fluke blocked kick return at home. On a neutral field when OSU is actually taking them seriously, they might not be so fortunate. The Miami Dolphins have managed a win against the Patriots in each of the past 3 seasons -- but were they even close to the same level team? Nope.

OSU has lost 1 game. PSU has lost 2 -- all while playing an easier schedule. They don't deserve jack.

And you're wrong about nothing being different. In 2014, things between OSU and TCU were closer than they are between OSU and PSU this season thus the conference title thing came into play.

A neutral field isn't going to help OSU's offensive line.  How many times did PSU sack Barrett?  It would be another slug fest.  OSU's defense is going to keep them in any game.  Also OSU didn't play a harder schedule than Penn St.  Penn St overall imo.  

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Also OSU didn't play a harder schedule than Penn St.  Penn St overall imo.  

Disagree with that.

Penn State Big 10 out of division games: Iowa, AT Purdue, Minn.

OSU Big 10 out of division games: AT Wisconsin, Nebr. ,Northwestern. Tougher OSU

OOC games Penn St: AT Pitt, Temple and Kent St.

OSU: AT Okla, Tulsa and Bowling Green. This is debatable but single toughest game is AT Okla!

Also OSU played at Penn St!

2 minutes ago, Connman said:

Disagree with that.

Penn State Big 10 out of division games: Iowa, AT Purdue, Minn.

OSU Big 10 out of division games: AT Wisconsin, Nebr. ,Northwestern. Tougher OSU

OOC games Penn St: AT Pitt, Temple and Kent St.

OSU: AT Okla, Tulsa and Bowling Green. This is debatable but single toughest game is AT Okla!

Also OSU played at Penn St!

Please dont include NW. They lost to 2 FCS schools. Illinois State being one of them