Mater Dei vs. Bishop Gorman 2017/2018

BobbySanchez

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

MD and Gorman have a two year deal on the table but last I heard both sides have not signed off on it. I hope it happens.  As Bobby Sanchez said, it's not the players who don't want it.  It's the Stache. But it looks like he's coming around.

I may be old but my kids keep me young and have convinced me to play OOS. 

I let Daniels call his own plays during 7on 7.  And he did so well I let him call plays during games 

i love this group and I'm letting them call the schedule next year.

We will be at the Honor Bowl for sure.

If the Bishop Gorman game doesn't get inked it won't be due to the Three Stripes

After I get revenge on DLS, it's all good 

15 minutes ago, The Stache said:

I may be old but my kids keep me young and have convinced me to play OOS. 

I let Daniels call his own plays during 7on 7.  And he did so well I let him call plays during games 

i love this group and I'm letting them call the schedule next year.

We will be at the Honor Bowl for sure.

If the Bishop Gorman game doesn't get inked it won't be due to the Three Stripes

After I get revenge on DLS, it's all good 

Great coaches don't overlook their upcoming opponent. Especially after barely scraping by the Braves. 

Also what happened to you since going 0-4 vs Dls? Why have you been running and ducking opponents ever since? 

2 hours ago, dntn31 said:

I agree with this but I think MD's league schedule makes up for that. Gorman will play 6 quality (arbitrarily, let's say top250 CalPreps) opponents while MD will play 8 or 9. Even though BG's top end of their schedule is stronger, MD has them beat on depth of schedule.

That said, I'd still take BG over MD if they played heads up this year.

MDs league schedule had 1 team worth a damn SJB. everyone else is Namebrand

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

MDs league schedule had 1 team worth a damn SJB. everyone else is Namebrand

If your criteria for "worth a damn" is top 10 in the country, sure. In that case, no league in the country would be any different, but there's no comparing MD's league schedule vs. Gorman's. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

If your criteria for "worth a damn" is top 10 in the country, sure. In that case, no league in the country would be any different, but there's no comparing MD's league schedule vs. Gorman's. 

Im not gonna compare the Trinity to some Bush League.... Im just saying OLU,JSerra,SM and Servite are coat tailing on SJB and MD.  because they are not good. 

The Entire Trinity League should not have Been in the Playoffs....

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Im not gonna compare the Trinity to some Bush League.... Im just saying OLU,JSerra,SM and Servite are coat tailing on SJB and MD.  because they are not good. 

The Entire Trinity League should not have Been in the Playoffs....

That's really not germane to the discussion. The point is comparing MD's schedule to Gorman's. 

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Yeah, tons of respect for Bosco. They will lace em up and play anyone as far as I know. Have they ever turned down a game because they didn't want to play other team? Serious question if anyone knows.  

The only game I can think of is manatee accused bosco of backing out of a game in 2010. Joe kinnan was pretty pissed BC he thought they had a deal in place.

bosco instead played St iggy. Not sure who to believe but bosco didn't suck in 2010. Had talent. 

Of course they finally played in 2011. Was great game between two top teams. 

The 2 bosco teams that beat STA weren't anywhere near as good as The 09-11 teams. ESP the first time they played. 

4 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

What is the Dolphins kickoff game?

The Dolphins hosted an opening week game from 2012-14 between two top teams in South Florida.

The stadium renovations kept them from having the event in 2015-16.

It's on again next year and STA is going to play someone like Carol City or Northwestern.

2 hours ago, dntn31 said:

That's really not germane to the discussion. The point is comparing MD's schedule to Gorman's. 

Gorman's OOD schedule is top heavy. Having played 5 very good OOS teams. Always willing to seek a challenge and to test the team.

MD's OOD schedule was unimpressive. Their one big win over SJB was a good but not dominant win. Rancho Cucamonga had a good year but they are not a regional power.

Also every team in the nation is obligated to play slappies during their conference play. That should not weigh Gorman down or be a deciding factor in winning the MNC. 

• Like 1

It is clear that this board will not reach a consensus. If MD wins their last 2 games then there will be some polls that rank Gorman #1 and others that have MD. Look on the bright side.....it will give us all something to debate for the next 8 months. 

Both teams are great and unless they play each other this debate will never end. It will be great if these rumors come to fruition and they play each other next year to settle this debate on the field as it should be settled.

11 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

It is clear that this board will not reach a consensus. If MD wins their last 2 games then there will be some polls that rank Gorman #1 and others that have MD. Look on the bright side.....it will give us all something to debate for the next 8 months. 

Both teams are great and unless they play each other this debate will never end. It will be great if these rumors come to fruition and they play each other next year to settle this debate on the field as it should be settled.

Even if they do play each other, unless it was a serious blow out,  the debate will still rage on. 

4 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

What polls will have Mater Dei #1?

I don't think any.

6 minutes ago, LOSer said:

What polls will have Mater Dei #1?

I don't think any.

MD is already #1 in CalPreps (yeah I know I just opened a can of worms:D) and if they beat SJB and then DLS their lead in the CalPreps computer poll will be significantly greater than it is now. It is to be determined about other polls. It could come down to if MD wins their next 2 games, how impressively do they do it. Pollsters would then need to decide based on the 'eyeball test'.

5 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

It is to be determined about other polls.

I don't think it's to be determined.

Mater Dei is only even #2 in one poll.

Beating a bad De La Salle team isn't going to be enough to jump Bishop Gorman.

1 hour ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Also every team in the nation is obligated to play slappies during their conference play.

Not every team. Even though there is currently a clear gap between MD/SJB and the rest of the Trinity, doesn't mean you get 3 bye weeks. Playing ~10 games against quality teams is a lot different than playing ~5. SJB and MD would definitely have less players out due to injury if they played in a league and a playoff bracket with a bunch of "slappies."

5 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

The only game I can think of is manatee accused bosco of backing out of a game in 2010. Joe kinnan was pretty pissed BC he thought they had a deal in place.

bosco instead played St iggy. Not sure who to believe but bosco didn't suck in 2010. Had talent. 

Of course they finally played in 2011. Was great game between two top teams. 

The 2 bosco teams that beat STA weren't anywhere near as good as The 09-11 teams. ESP the first time they played. 

I agree on 09-11 Bosco. No weakness on defense and enough playmakers on other side to get it done. If I remember correctly their only loss was to St X the 1st game in 08. 

I started talking to this guy at SFO airport in 08 right after Bosco beat DLS.  He said he was one of the coaches and we talked about the game a but.  I thanked him for traveling all that way just to beat my team. Didn't realize it was Toal until I saw him on tv. Seemed like a cool guy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Not every team. Even though there is currently a clear gap between MD/SJB and the rest of the Trinity, doesn't mean you get 3 bye weeks. Playing ~10 games against quality teams is a lot different than playing ~5. SJB and MD would definitely have less players out due to injury if they played in a league and a playoff bracket with a bunch of "slappies."

MD did not play 10 quality regular season games. That's absurd. 

SJB on the other hand has played the second strongest SOS in the west region this season. If the Braves were undefeated at this point they would be two weeks away from the MNC. 

6 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

MD did not play 10 quality regular season games. That's absurd.  

MD's Top 12/13 opponents (with CP ranking)
#4 SJB
#4 SJB
#17 Rancho Cucamonga
(#48 De La Salle if they beat SJB)
#93 La Mirada
#103 Edison
#108 Santa Margarita
#168 Vista Murrieta
#189 Orange Lutheran
#252 JSerra
#304 Bishop Amat
#509 Servite
#543 Upland

Gorman's Top 7 Opponents
#4 SJB
#27 STA
#28 Cedar Hill
#58 Kahuku
#69 Liberty
#75 Cocoa
#376 Arbor View

"Quality" is a relative term. Is MD playing 10 top 100 teams? No, but show me a team that is. Is the overall quality of MD's top 12/13 games better than BG's? Absolutely, and it's not even close. BG's average rating for the worst 8 teams they've played this year is 6,095 (all the teams not listed above). That number for MD is 1,015 and that number drops to 447 if you remove the biggest outlier #4991 Mayfair (if you want to compare apples to apples that's 447 to 5,540). As I said before, BG clearly has a better top end to their schedule compared to MD, but you can't deny the benefits of playing 8 games where you could roll out your JV team and still win by 40. 

9 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

#4 SJB
#4 SJB
#17 Rancho Cucamonga
#93 La Mirada
#103 Edison
#108 Santa Margarita
#168 Vista Murrieta
#189 Orange Lutheran
#252 JSerra
#304 Bishop Amat
#509 Servite
#543 Upland

Gorman's Top 7 Opponents
#4 SJB
#27 STA
#28 Cedar Hill
#58 Kahuku
#69 Liberty
#75 Cocoa
#376 Arbor View

"Quality" is a relative term. Is MD playing 10 top 100 teams? No, but show me a team that is. Is the overall quality of MD's top 12/13 games better than BG's? Absolutely, and it's not even close. BG's average rating for the worst 8 teams they've played this year is 6,095 (all the teams not listed above). That number for MD is 1,015 and that number drops to 447 if you remove the biggest outlier #4991 Mayfair (if you want to compare apples to apples that's 447 to 5,540). As I said before, BG clearly has a better top end to their schedule compared to MD, but you can't deny the benefits of playing 8 games where you could roll out your JV team and still win by 40. 

I'm not sure why we are having this discussion. After SJB wins this weekend the question will be should they be ranked  above MD and at what position. 

Let's go Braves

????

??????

14 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

#4 SJB
#4 SJB
#17 Rancho Cucamonga
#93 La Mirada
#103 Edison
#108 Santa Margarita
#168 Vista Murrieta
#189 Orange Lutheran
#252 JSerra
#304 Bishop Amat
#509 Servite
#543 Upland

Gorman's Top 7 Opponents
#4 SJB
#27 STA
#28 Cedar Hill
#58 Kahuku
#69 Liberty
#75 Cocoa
#376 Arbor View

Exactly. Gorman had a top heavy schedule which is no doubt impressive. But if you consider the team's whole body of work, MD and Bosco played tougher schedules.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Great coaches don't overlook their upcoming opponent. Especially after barely scraping by the Braves. 

Also what happened to you since going 0-4 vs Dls? Why have you been running and ducking opponents ever since? 

DLS is in for a Red reckoning!  We will beat them 70-0 and set their program back to the 1970's

47 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Will gorman pull what they did to IMG and bitch out or will they sign on the dotted line.  Thats the real question here.  Man up or chata!! 

Shouldn't you be more worried about VC right about now? Or why the CCS rep got destroyed by MV last year? Will you guys up north win any bowl games this year?