Mater Dei vs. Bishop Gorman 2017/2018

BobbySanchez

Rollinson is old, man. Really, really old. He knows every HS coach in Orange County and has had dinner with all of them. He would rather just play a good football game with his old buddies across the street 20 years ago than national teams.

Jason Negro of SJB is young, he embraces new things, and is ambitious. Which is why he plays national teams and MD doesn't.

The only reason why MD is even considering these games is because the kids have been demanding the coaches play a game with Gorman. I think know, he's slowly listening and trying to make it happen.

Can we please finish this season before talking about next year's schedule :D

I'm sure the MD team has more pressing things on their mind now, such as preparing for SJB in the championship, rather than thinking about next year.  But I can understand Gorman thinking ahead to next year since they played their last game way over a month ago.

I think MD will beat SJB by a few scores. SJB was the first team to implement that 3 man rush and dropping 8 guys back, and the offensive coordinator was lost that game. He didn't know what to do and MD got by purely by talent. 

Every team since that game (RC, VM, Servite, OLU) has copied SJB and MD has learned to counter it with a no huddle ground and pound game and some short pass plays that work well.

A surprise attack won't work twice, I like MD in this one.

9 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Meh, by that standard people could say BG pussied out against IMG for the past two seasons when they've been calling.

MD just doesn't play OOS, I have heard of Utah teams calling them and they turned those games down.

IMG has very unique advantages over most high schools. 

"players from 21 states and six countries."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2576842-americas-most-talented-high-school-football-team-img

I'm still surprised that anybody would schedule them. Well except for Corona Centennial. 

1 minute ago, BobbySanchez said:

I think MD will beat SJB by a few scores. SJB was the first team to implement that 3 man rush and dropping 8 guys back, and the offensive coordinator was lost that game. He didn't know what to do and MD got by purely by talent. 

Every team since that game (RC, VM, Servite, OLU) has copied SJB and MD has learned to counter it with a no huddle ground and pound game and some short pass plays that work well.

A surprise attack won't work twice, I like MD in this one.

The same could be said for MD. SJB has seen MD already and Cen10. 

I think SJB wins this one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

I am hearing in addition to this, Mater Dei will also take on an East Coast power in the Honor Bowl. Possibly IMG, St.Thomas Aquinas, or a Maryland team. 

It's true but it wouldn't be the Honor Bowl for STA since they are likely to play in the Dolphins Kickoff game in Week 1.

27 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Can we please finish this season before talking about next year's schedule :D

I'm sure the MD team has more pressing things on their mind now, such as preparing for SJB in the championship, rather than thinking about next year.  But I can understand Gorman thinking ahead to next year since they played their last game way over a month ago.

Gorman's 5 OOS opponents are greater than what any SoCal team has faced in the CIFSS D1 playoffs. 

52 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

It will be pretty lame If MD starts scheduling OOS games now that they are loaded. 

Not saying that I don't want to see md and bg but still..... Not a good look for rollinson. 

Imagine Bosco only scheduled oos from 09-11 than just stopped. 

Agree with this 100%. LOL all of a sudden Mater Dei is answering calls? Good grief 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Gorman's 5 OOS opponents are greater than what any SoCal team has faced in the CIFSS D1 playoffs. 

No doubt Gorman had the toughest pre-league schedule in the country. I wouldn't say it is necessarily tougher than beating SJB, Cen10 or MD or even rancho Cucamonga in row. If going by CalPreps rankings, Gorman has only played one top 25 team in SJB. The CIFSS D1 playoffs had 6 top 25 teams, and 3 top 10 teams, and now 5 top-25 ranked teams since Mission Viejo is out of the rankings. But I stick to my original point that Gorman hasn't played a game since Sept 30.

27 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

I agree with this but I think MD's league schedule makes up for that. Gorman will play 6 quality (arbitrarily, let's say top250 CalPreps) opponents while MD will play 8 or 9. Even though BG's top end of their schedule is stronger, MD has them beat on depth of schedule.

That said, I'd still take BG over MD if they played heads up this year.

1 hour ago, Mjd33 said:

It will be pretty lame If MD starts scheduling OOS games now that they are loaded. 

Not saying that I don't want to see md and bg but still..... Not a good look for rollinson. 

Imagine Bosco only scheduled oos from 09-11 than just stopped. 

Yeah, tons of respect for Bosco. They will lace em up and play anyone as far as I know. Have they ever turned down a game because they didn't want to play other team? Serious question if anyone knows.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

No doubt Gorman had the toughest pre-league schedule in the country. I wouldn't say it is necessarily tougher than beating SJB, Cen10 or MD or even rancho Cucamonga in row. 

SJB has had the tougher route by far. But beating CC and then MD does not equal what Gorman has done this year.

The D1 playoffs are not that brutal. Four games total. And everybody knew in advance who the participants would be for the 11/ 26 games weeks in advance. 

• Like 1

Just now, Las Vegas_JC said:

SJB has had the tougher route by far. But beating CC and then MD does not equal what Gorman has done this year.

The D1 playoffs are not that brutal. Four games total. And everybody knew in advance who the participants would be for the 11/ 26 games weeks in advance. 

the D1 playoffs are pretty brutal 

2 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

I am hearing in addition to this, Mater Dei will also take on an East Coast power in the Honor Bowl. Possibly IMG, St.Thomas Aquinas, or a Maryland team. 

Bishop Gorman might also continue to play St.John Bosco for the coming years as well.

DeMatha loses their most valuable player, Beau English, to graduation.  BUT they return a lot, maybe 13 or 14 players or so and depending on how the jr qb plays, could be really strong.  I can't imagine any other school from MD and there is history between Mater Dei and DeMatha (basketball in 1984 when DM was ranked #1 and MD #3 or 4 in USA Today.  They've also met in at least one other sport.  DeMatha has also played in football before in CA, against a Sacramento team in 1979.