6/22 DLS Passing Tounrey

Blueliner

On 6/26/2019 at 3:26 PM, Blueliner said:

What's up dude? You KNOW it'll be hot. I agree. There's no way that Puckett can effectively go both ways as Mike and center (and he's only a junior). But he was out there on both sides this day. Garrett (gonna have a great season) and the secondary will be alright in coverage. I just hope that they aren't the one's trying to make tackles on running plays all game long. the LB situation is making me a little nervous to be quite honest. Norfleet looks the part. Kid looks like he's about 210 or so. Has a man body already. I'm hoping that he's just nursing something and he'll be available on Sat. and Jamboree etc. I'll be there Sat. Are you going?

I agree, gonna be tough on Puckett. Also Garrett, going both ways against a mediocre team is not much of a problem since you can rotate him but against elite teams it will take a toll on him esp. 2nd half if he is having to make a lot of tackles and getting tackled on offense. Upside this is his 3rd year on varsity and will be a good leader to have there on def. He will fill the role just like K. Robinson and A. Custer did playing RB and in the secondary. I believe all 3 came up as soph. and became leaders by the time they were srs. The question is who is the next RB/safety in the pipeline? Berry, Norfleet? I think the 7 on 7 is a good way to showcase your offense. The scrimmage against Pitt. in Aug. will be a good indicator of where the def. is.

Regarding attending this weekend's 7 on 7 I'll will be up in Truckee hitting the links.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

This is my biggest worry. Though it has been awhile since I watched the STA game and the ET game, I feel like in each of those games, the gaps started to widen late in the 3rd and the DBs started missing tackles. 

I think in the STA game the heat humidity got to them in the 2nd half and by the start of the 4th it was over. STA's QB Lescano, although only completed 9 passes many turned out to be big plays. It seemed like every 3rd down he either completed a pass or ran for the first down. Against ET. the defense also wore down trying to tackle ET's QB Natee, who was about 240lbs and their RB Wilson, was also a handful. That was the game with the trick play just before half where DLS was moving the ball and decides to try some kind of reverse that ET runs in for the TD. Totally changed the momentum. Despite that, DLS was in that game the whole way and could've of won it. Against STA I think they were outmatched from the get go.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

I think in the STA game the heat humidity got to them in the 2nd half and by the start of the 4th it was over. STA's QB Lescano, although only completed 9 passes many turned out to be big plays. It seemed like every 3rd down he either completed a pass or ran for the first down. Against ET. the defense also wore down trying to tackle ET's QB Natee, who was about 240lbs and their RB Wilson, was also a handful. That was the game with the trick play just before half where DLS was moving the ball and decides to try some kind of reverse that ET runs in for the TD. Totally changed the momentum. Despite that, DLS was in that game the whole way and could've of won it. Against STA I think they were outmatched from the get go.  

I agree with your assessment of the difference between the STA and ET games. In the STA game, it felt like DLS was outmatched from the beginning. The feeling was different in the ET game. In that game, DLS felt like the frontrunner who stumbled a few times along the way and who started to gas at the end. Though the momentum had changed, if Asiasi had made that throw on 3rd down, DLS would've left Texas with a "W" and the Spartans likely would have taken home a piece of the MNC that year.

Of course, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

I agree with your assessment of the difference between the STA and ET games. In the STA game, it felt like DLS was outmatched from the beginning. The feeling was different in the ET game. In that game, DLS felt like the frontrunner who stumbled a few times along the way and who started to gas at the end. Though the momentum had changed, if Asiasi had made that throw on 3rd down, DLS would've left Texas with a "W" and the Spartans likely would have taken home a piece of the MNC that year.

Of course, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

Two things I remember about that incomplete pass play by Asiasi . I think he could've of ran for it. He had open field and he was a beast to bring down. And I always wondered why he did not remove the glove off his throwing hand while he was in the huddle. Think the throw would've been more accurate and doubt if anyone on Trinity would've have noticed if he would've removed it in the huddle and tucked it inside his pants. Oh well, what could've been. 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Two things I remember about that incomplete pass play by Asiasi . I think he could've of ran for it. He had open field and he was a beast to bring down. And I always wondered why he did not remove the glove off his throwing hand while he was in the huddle. Think the throw would've been more accurate and doubt if anyone on Trinity would've have noticed if he would've removed it in the huddle and tucked it inside his pants. Oh well, what could've been. 😀

I remember when he went in for Vaderklugt at the end of the Open in 2014 and was running over guys to secure the "W."

You can watch a few of his runs starting at 19:03. He wasn't a bad a third string QB for DLS. Ah, what could have been... 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, Belly Bob said:

This is my biggest worry. Though it has been awhile since I watched the STA game and the ET game, I feel like in each of those games, the gaps started to widen late in the 3rd and the DBs started missing tackles. 

Et game there were a lot of missed tackles. Being the first game, Dela has always seemed to be sloppy with the wrapping up, even the good Dela teams, and playing teams way under the caliber of an ET.  The defense gets better as season progresses and you see far less missed tackles. They definitely will have to be better in this game with STA 

No disrespect to ET, they did more than enough to win the game. But I know some Texans will take it that way regardless😁. But there was literally no less than about 5 plays that coulda put ET away long before Asiasi's overthrow. The biggest dagger was DLS up 14-6, driving, and heading into halftime. Sweeney nails Vanderklugt in the hands with a perfectly thrown deep ball that would have given DLS a 1st and goal at the ET 6 with about 30 seconds to go. DLS gets at least 3 there to make it 17-6 or 21-6. Instead, Vandy drops the rock. The very next play was the ill-fated reverse. Custer, a pretty sure and hard-hitting tackler, still coulda salvaged the half if he brings big fella down. Instead....14-12 instead of 14-6. Brutal chain of events. Props to ET though. They wore Sparty down when it counted. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Blueliner said:

No disrespect to ET, they did more than enough to win the game. But I know some Texans will take it that way regardless😁. But there was literally no less than about 5 plays that coulda put ET away long before Asiasi's overthrow. The biggest dagger was DLS up 14-6, driving, and heading into halftime. Sweeney nails Vanderklugt in the hands with a perfectly thrown deep ball that would have given DLS a 1st and goal at the ET 6 with about 30 seconds to go. DLS gets at least 3 there to make it 17-6 or 21-6. Instead, Vandy drops the rock. The very next play was the ill-fated reverse. Custer, a pretty sure and hard-hitting tackler, still coulda salvaged the half if he brings big fella down. Instead....14-12 instead of 14-6. Brutal chain of events. Props to ET though. They wore Sparty down when it counted. 

I agree with this but can narrow it to that single reverse/turnover td for ET play. If (I know) that play still occurred, ET still recovers BUT doesn’t return it for a TD, DLS wins. Every other play plays out the exact same way except that returned TD, DLS wins. I congratulated ET then and will now on the win. Was a sloppy game by both teams, both had turnovers and missed opportunities. But, IMHO, that turnover TD was the single biggest play in the game. I know, would’ve, should’ve and could’ve. That’s also why it’s hard to predict games, plays like that.

• Like 2

DLS vs. Rio Americano

DLS wins 5-2

Hale looked pretty good in this one. But still needs to be better at working through progressions. DLS has good size at WR. I’m 6-0 and am standing on the sideline. Several kids over 6-1. McAdoo and Burton are at least 6-3. Kids ran good routes and can get separation against this team. But several well-thrown balls were dropped. Still no Norfleet or Seastrand in action, but they are here. Hearns, McAdoo and Daley stood out in this game. Good but not great as a group. 

The QB for RA looks pretty solid. He’s about 6-4 with a really good arm. They started out 2-2 against Sparty, but DLS took over. Garrett had two ints. Wave after wave of solid DBs. The LBs were Burton, Reid, and Hackett. I don’t see Puckett anywhere. This group has pretty good size as well. They looked a little more athletic this time around...so far. I’ll be looking to see how they do against Pitt. 

BGW...the weather is nice. 72 and clear. Slight breeze🤣...And a few mommy honey’s running around.....but I digress 😁

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Zeke Berry playing WR now. Only a soph. But he’s grown a lot from when I saw him last year as a freshman dominating JV as a RB. I think he too tall now to be a RB. I can see why the coaches are high on him. 

They’ve also got him playing safety. But looking at his body, I can see him easily continuing to grow into a OLB.