Saban and 'Bama: Shouldn't be NEAR the top 25

badrouter

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

You probably said the same thing last year when they almost Syracuse and yet beat South Carolina by 21.

Clemson should never struggle with Syracuse. They lost to cuse in the dome because the DT from Syracuse dropped the Clemson qb on his head and knocked him out of the game. South Carolina would beat Syracuse by multiple Tds. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:44 AM, badrouter said:

Oh, interesting. So, the fact that they've proven themselves many times against undeniably excellent competition in years past may tell us something about the same program in the present? I think you may be on to something here. Still, THIS season has a poor optional schedule featuring teams that have NEVER been known to be formidable. Go through the history of Duke, New Mexico St., Southern Miss and Western Carolina and you'll never find a time when scheduling them would've been seen as ballsy or impressive. 

Actually Duke was solid in late 80s (Spurrier in 89 for example )

Since Miami and Florida St have hit the football shitter there's only one acc team that will EVER sniff a MNC........for the next 3-5 years anyways. 

The SEC has 5 or maybe 6 teams in any given year that could win a MNC.

The SEC West has 4-teams alone ranked in most of the 2019 Preseason Polls......The SEC West is easily the best conference in college football. Every week is a playoff game filled with future NFL players. Clemson is the only acc team that could compete week to week in the SEC West. It has been a major grind for Clemson to beat just Texas A&M, Auburn and Alabama....throw in LSU, Mississippi St, Ole Miss and even Arkansas..

Of course Clemson will probably play (7-7) Pitt again for the acc championship in 2019.......a team Central Florida crushed in the regular season. Sad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Guru said:

This is a strawman.

There are far fewer teams and, in turn, much more interplay in college football than there is in high school football.

There are 14,000 schools and a whole lot of impostors in that group who try to claim that they're elite when they're not.

It's only reasonable to filter one's list of teams based on schedule strength.

Your program has been on the side of a milk carton for 10 years, plays nobody in the regular season and only plays maybe 2 quality opponents in a 15-game schedule.

It's perfectly reasonable to suspect this team.

What you mean to say is they haven't played a team outside of Florida in 10 years, so the basics that don't know any teams unless they play OOS on TV don't know much about them.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, FootballGuy said:

Not gonna lie: As good as bama is, they always seem to schedule inferior opponents for their openers and non conference games. Who makes their schedule? Because that's unacceptable. 

Opening up with Duke is pathetic. I guarantee you the players would prefer a rematch with Clemson over a stupid game with Duke that’ll be over before halftime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Opening up with Duke is pathetic. I guarantee you the players would prefer a rematch with Clemson over a stupid game with Duke that’ll be over before halftime.

Yeah and the players would like a piece of whatever is attached to those feet in your avatar. 

Maybe Saban will schedule up.... never gonna happen. 

However many Nattys he’s got means Saban’s doing it his way. 

BGW

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Guru said:

It's not used because there are less than 1% as many college teams as there are high school teams.

Yes, your arguments are fucking stupid.

Which is why attempts to compare SOS for teams from different states is bullshit. It's a pose; an act. Exactly how good was Center Grove, Indiana in 2018? We know they played Warren Central twice, and lost by 12 and 7 points respectively. How do they actually compare to Braden River? They ended up ranked #296 and #297. How do they actually compare to Apopka, who's ranked 20 notches below them? We don't actually know the answer to these questions (though an in-depth evaluation of the talent on the rosters can give us a clue), though people ASSume they know the answer and rank the teams accordingly.

I present stupid scenarios, which happen to reflect reality to a degree. Reductio ad absurdum.

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Yeah and the players would like a piece of whatever is attached to those feet in your avatar. 

Maybe Saban will schedule up.... never gonna happen. 

However many Nattys he’s got means Saban’s doing it his way. 

BGW

Saban has a total of 6 nattys

10 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Why would u play Clemson to open the game. If you lose your already at a disadvantage for the playoffs. Look at Auburn scheduling Oregon week 1. If Auburn loses their season is arguably done. 

8 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Right, but , since the portion of his schedule which he could control this season is poor, it MUST tell us he's scared and doesn't think his team will be very good this year. Right?

No. Not at all. 

Saban never schedules anyone before LSU and Auburn ever. He never will. Lsu and Auburn never schedule anyone before Alabama. Alabama and the rest of the sec play for the sec championship. If you win the sec championship your in the playoffs and your playing for the national title. Alabama and saban doesnt have to justify anything by scheduling 3 ooc opponents that are these marquee matchups. 

Alabama this year has arguably the #1 or 2 qb in tua

Has the best 2 WR in the game

Has a top 4 Rb

Has a defense with a lot of talent coming back including their stud DE Davis. 

I would like to see a bounce back year from tua. There were things I saw last year I didnt like. 

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Why would u play Clemson to open the game. If you lose your already at a disadvantage for the playoffs. Look at Auburn scheduling Oregon week 1. If Auburn loses their season is arguably done. 

This entire statement proves that bama schedules safely because of the reason you just gave. Agree or Disagree? 

Just now, FootballGuy said:

This entire statement proves that bama schedules safely because of the reason you just gave. Agree or Disagree? 

Of course. You dont put your season in jeopardy. Alabama is the blue chip of college football. Their conference is the most respected conference in college football. Their division is the toughest division in college football inside arguably the toughest conference in college football. Why would you go out and add three more marquee games on top of that. Saban isnt a moron. He knows what he needs to do in order to get to the playoffs and by scheduling the softer schools he gets in a lot of backups for experience which usually helps a lot. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

No. Not at all. 

Saban never schedules anyone before LSU and Auburn ever. He never will. Lsu and Auburn never schedule anyone before Alabama. Alabama and the rest of the sec play for the sec championship. If you win the sec championship your in the playoffs and your playing for the national title. Alabama and saban doesnt have to justify anything by scheduling 3 ooc opponents that are these marquee matchups. 

Alabama this year has arguably the #1 or 2 qb in tua

Has the best 2 WR in the game

Has a top 4 Rb

Has a defense with a lot of talent coming back including their stud DE Davis. 

I would like to see a bounce back year from tua. There were things I saw last year I didnt like. 

This ain't necessarily true, brotha. Bama got in without winning the SEC the year they lost to auburn AND they didn't win the SEC in 2011 (BCS era) and still made the championship game. 

2 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

This ain't necessarily true, brotha. Bama got in without winning the SEC the year they lost to auburn AND they didn't win the SEC in 2011 (BCS era) and still made the championship game. 

I said if. Of course there are exceptions. 4 playoffs 4 times Alabama got in. 

Would it be nice for Alabama to call Ohio state and say week 1 in this year were gonna play but of course it would have to be at a neutral site. I dont believe either team would ever say yes to that game. These teams that are scheduling big week 1 games usually have little to no chance of winning a national title. So Alabama will continue to rely on a strong SEC schedule and maybe a high level team every now and than again like a FSU or USC. But for the most part the model works why change it

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Of course. You dont put your season in jeopardy. Alabama is the blue chip of college football. Their conference is the most respected conference in college football. Their division is the toughest division in college football inside arguably the toughest conference in college football. Why would you go out and add three more marquee games on top of that. Saban isnt a moron. He knows what he needs to do in order to get to the playoffs and by scheduling the softer schools he gets in a lot of backups for experience which usually helps a lot. 

Put your season in jeopardy? This is Bama we talkin about! Since when does Saban come off as worried about his team losing a game against someone that poses a legit threat? If you're Nick Saban & company, and you feel like you could put your season in jeopardy by playing a legit threat, then that says a lot about his confidence in his team early on. 

Put your season in jeopardy? This is Bama we talkin about! Since when does Saban come off as worried about his team losing a game against someone that poses a legit threat? If you're Nick Saban & company, and you feel like you could put your season in jeopardy by playing a legit threat, then that says a lot about his confidence in his team early on. 

Yeah put your season in jeopardy. Were not that many years removed from 2 loss seasons. You lose week 1 and than your staring at an sec schedule and you lose one more game you are done. You are not going to make the playoffs. You lose one game and now your in the same basket as what 2-3 other 1 loss teams. He has confidence in his team but again if the model isnt broken why change it. Your not going to go out there and ask your team to lay it all on the line for 12 weeks. You take your schedule and you add some little guys who your supporting their athletic department. These schools need money and these fbs schools are obliged to pay these schools. 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I said if. Of course there are exceptions. 4 playoffs 4 times Alabama got in. 

Would it be nice for Alabama to call Ohio state and say week 1 in this year were gonna play but of course it would have to be at a neutral site. I dont believe either team would ever say yes to that game. These teams that are scheduling big week 1 games usually have little to no chance of winning a national title. So Alabama will continue to rely on a strong SEC schedule and maybe a high level team every now and than again like a FSU or USC. But for the most part the model works why change it

Why a neutral site? Just do home and home.

One team I would like to see Bama play is Iowa.....at night in Kinnick Stadium. Iowa is a tough squad, and teams seem to get a lot of credit when you go their place and beat em. 

Why a neutral site? Just do home and home.

One team I would like to see Bama play is Iowa.....at night in Kinnick Stadium. Iowa is a tough squad, and teams seem to get a lot of credit when you go their place and beat em. 

Please go look at every marquee game Alabama plays....its at a neutral site now usually in Arlington. I would love to see Alabama go to Iowa at night. But you see Iowa pick off Ohio state in that venue. Tough place to play. I love that the kids in the children's hospital can overlook the stadium and watch the game and all the fans wave to the kids. I would love to go to that stadium. 

Alabama just for whatever reason doesnt do home and homes. Like last year Alabama opened up with Louisville. As you can see Alabama is not playing lousiville this year. 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Yeah put your season in jeopardy. Were not that many years removed from 2 loss seasons. You lose week 1 and than your staring at an sec schedule and you lose one more game you are done. You are not going to make the playoffs. You lose one game and now your in the same basket as what 2-3 other 1 loss teams. He has confidence in his team but again if the model isnt broken why change it. Your not going to go out there and ask your team to lay it all on the line for 12 weeks. You take your schedule and you add some little guys who your supporting their athletic department. These schools need money and these fbs schools are obliged to pay these schools. 

I don't agree with the "losing earlier in the season" concept because you still have plenty of time to redeem yourself. I always thought it was worse to lose later in the season? But bama could lose to a top team in week 1 and still run the course and get in.

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

I don't agree with the "losing earlier in the season" concept because you still have plenty of time to redeem yourself. I always thought it was worse to lose later in the season? But bama could lose to a top team in week 1 and still run the course and get in.

Possibly. They have left out teams like Ohio state with 1 loss. Yeah that 1 lose was to Iowa on the road but the committee left them out. Yeah it's better to lose early but I would prefer to not schedule ooc games that I need to sweat through. I sweat through multiple other games when sec play starts. Namely lsu and Auburn. Now tamu with Fisher as HC. Then obv when Alabama plays Georgia that's not exactly a game I can sit back and check it off as a win