Louisiana Stuff and Such...5A/Division I Edition:

Frosty4024

Beautiful weather we're having here in North Texas...Just a "little" ran and a lot of wind from the system coming from the West....Be careful everyone that has to venture in this weather....

Anyways....On to my 5A Picks:

Semi-FInal #1:
#1 Destrehan vs #5 Landry-Walker -- First off...I wish Destrehan QB Kohen Granier a speedy recovery from his knee injury...From watching some of the stream of the game...Granier clearly wasn't 100% but gave it a go....Unfortunately...I think that caused him to press a bit as he went 0-3 with an INT throwing deep across his body while getting hit...At that point...I think it was the right situation to play QB J.R. Blood.

RB Kristian Mosley was also banged up and played with a shoulder injury (Only gained 47 yards)...John Emory picked up the slack scoring all 3 of Desterhan's TDs (2 TD runs and a 70-yard screen pass) and Destrehan's defense did just enough (forced a Crucial INT when John Ehret QB Travis Mumphrey misread a Cover 2 and threw an INT on an out route that would have possibly tied the game) as the Wildcats hung on to win 21-14...John Ehret didn't help themselves with the 17 penalties for 145 yards (At one point it there was a 2nd and 64...Ouch...)

As for Landry-Walker's 61-21 win over Parkway....I expected points to be scored...Just not all by one team....Parkway was up 14-0 after a pair of QB Justin Rodgers TD runs (Apparently Landry-Walker wasn't focused on Rodgers running the ball at the time perhaps?)  However after Landry-Walker scored on a short run to cut the lead to 14-7...Rodgers threw a Pick-6 to John Smith as the big man snatched a low-pass and rumbled 26 yards for the tying score)...What really did Parkway in (Besides the turnovers) was Landry-Walker QB Keytaon Thompson (Mississippi State Commit)...This man did whatever he wanted (17-25 for 250 yards passing with 3 TDs along with 56 yards rushing and 2 TDs)...That and Parkway folded like they did when they got punched in the mouth by Evangel...Also didn't help that Parkway's WR Terrace Marshall only has 1 catch for 1 yard and 3 drops (Probably was doubled all night) and Justin Rodgers going only 6-15 with 2 INTS...And Landry-Walker did this despite 17 penalties for 162 total yards (quite a few personal fouls)

So now we have A slightly banged up Destrehan vs a Confident (and on-fire) Landry-Walker squad with a chip on their shoulder...Hard to pick against Landry-Walker...Especially with Destrehan's struggles the past couple of weeks...But something in me thinks Destrehan makes that 1-crucial play in the clutch...

My Pick:  Destrehan 31 Landry-Walker 28

Semifinal #2:
#2 West Monroe vs #11 Zachary -- QB/Athlete Slade Bolden went off for the Rebels against St Amant (Thank the Rebs bigger front also)...Guy had 351 yards on 26 carries...But it was the Rebel's defense that got in on the act early as their 1st of 4/5? INTS off St Amant QB Haden Mallory (Very Uncharacteristic for him to throw that many as he's normally careful with the ball) was a pick-6...From there momentum was on the Rebels side as they jumped out to a 24-3 lead...St. Amant did fight to make it 24-10 and were driving deep in West Monroe territory in the 3rd quarter but another Rebel pick and a score by Bolden basically put the game out of reach for the Gators...

West Monroe caught a break also....Zachary (Jekyll-N-Hyde) defeated West Monroe's recent nemesis Acadiana 31-24...In a game that was seemingly being dominated by the Wrecking Rams (Zachary went Hyde mode as they trailed 21-7 and only ran 3 plays in the 1st quarter)....Acadiana basically had the ball all the 1st half (Zachary only ran 12 offensive plays plays)....Yet the score was tied at 21 at the half due to 2 quick TDs (Deep passes from Zachary QB Keilon Brown to Trae Shropshire and an onside kick were the main reason)...In the 2nd half it was Zachary (Jekyll-mode) that dominated time-of-possession (Acadiana's stud RB Dillon Monnette went out with a shoulder injury in the 1st half)...Despite everything going against them in a tied game...Acadiana (who runs a variation of the Veer-offense) had a pass play that was a sure TD but couldn't connect...Even with that play going against them Acadiana appeared to be driving down the field for a score but fumbled...Zachary's QB Brown broke a QB draw and scored the game winning TD with 1:06 left while trying to run the clock down for a FG attempt...Brown had 264 yards passing and 85 yards rushing with 2 combined TDs for the Broncos...

So now Jekyll-N-Hyde (The 5A defending champions btw) not get to make that trip to Monroe to face the might Rebels (Who have a history struggles of defending mobile QBs and Big-pass plays..) However, West Monroe's defense has picked up at the right time (15 INTs or something like that since the Alexandria game...)  and Zachary isn't the greatest of road teams (2-3 with win over Denham Springs (a game which went OT and Zachary gave up 34 points) and a 4-win East Ascension team)

I know anything can happen....But I'm sticking with the trend here:
My Pick:  West Monroe  31 Zachary 21

Division I Title:
#5 Evangel vs #2 Scotlandville -- Many things can be said about Evangel's 27-6 win over #1 John Curtis this past week (One of them being the turnover bug FINALLY biting Curtis as they have been flirting with it all season..(4 turnovers))  But the main reason Evangel won this game was the Eagles Defensive Front 7 basically dominated from start to finish and Evangel QB Connor Curry (9-14 for 176 yards and a TD with completions to only 2 WRs (Tanner Ash (7) and Josh Walker (2 including the 80-yard TD)  being efficient with the ball (although he threw 2 scary passes early that could have been picked)...John Curtis RBs had 65 yards on 25 carries and spend most of their time dodging Eagles in the backfield...Meanwhile Evangel had 149 yards rushing...

Meanwhile the Levi Lewis show continued in Scotlandville...He even showed off his arm a bit this time (19-35 for 219 yards and 2 TDs (8-11 for 114 yards with the 2 TDs in the 2nd half alone)...It's something about the 2nd half that puts this guy in stinging hornet mode...But it was the defense that came up big...Forcing 2 turnovers and Holding Jordan-Swilling to 96 yards on 21 carries (and stopping him on the 2-pt conversion which would have tied the game with 1:27 left...)  Not bad for a Louisiana Basketball Power...

I'm not gonna lie...For Scotlandville to have a chance of beating Evangel...Lewis is going to have to pull some magic out of his ass to avoid that Evangel front 7...That and the defense will have to play for their lives...Can they do it...ABSOLUTELY...They've won plenty of close games...But the Defense needs to force Connor Curry to make mistakes...I think the Eagles coaches will keep him Curry of "dangerous" situations and rely on his defense to set them up...That and Evangel has the special teams advantage...

My Pick:  Evangel 27 Scotlandville 18

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRealCAJ said:

I called West Monroe vs Landry-Walker in the Dome in Sept.

West Monroe will beat Zachary, but the freshman QB for Zachary is very good.

Landry-Walker, if they play well should handle Destrehan pretty good. Destrehan is down from last year.

West Monroe vs Landry-Walker

NOLA will win 5A and 4A (Edna Karr over Neville)

-_-

One game at a time...  this week is Zachary/West Monroe

but you did call Landry-Walker vs West Monroe as your 5A title picks, I do remember  :D

but just for fun, it you "project" a matchup through CP right now it has West Monroe  35  Landry-Walker  34   ¬¬

remember, one of my "keys" to the game last week was getting off to a fast start...  and WM did jumping out to a 17 - 0 lead in the 1st quarter.

Think that also applies this week, WM can't afford to get too far behind.  Also need the same kind of pressure to hopefully force the Frosh QB into some bad decisions...