SJR Gun Slinger PURDUE BOUND

imaGoodBoyNow

On 6/19/2019 at 10:21 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Very perplexing decision. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, Mickeybern said:

yeah been there once and went to school in Indiana..Not a very aesthetically pleasing campus and West Lafayette is out there.

Purdue might not have the prettiest campus and West Lafayette might not be the best college town for a young person, but each has a lot to offer a talented young man with the right interests.

Maybe he can get rich and have a rewarding career playing football. The odds are against him though, even if he puts the work in. If he's got similar talent for applied science, the odds are that he can have a long, rewarding career if he puts the work in. 

God only knows how a kid who has talent for both finds the time for both. 

Talk to @BUFORDGAWOLVES. He knows a thing or two about it. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 10:39 AM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Purdue has a nice blue collar ethic/culture and the campus and town has everything a student athlete can ask for coupled with an OUTSTANDING engineering program.

Well done young man, welcome to the "cradle of quarterbacks".

Coach Brohm just signed that FAT extension and the program is in upswing... stable program.

Again well done,

BGW

You heard it here first -- that is, from @BUFORDGAWOLVES.

But here's something else.

We've got two Greek kids who play pretty good football for the local high school, and they're staying home to play. Older Brother played in the Army All-American game and has already enrolled at Purdue. And Smelly thinks that Younger Brother might be even better. He's likely to follow his brother.

The future looks bright for the Boilermakers, even if we admit that the recent past has been rather dim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

You heard it here first -- that is, from @BUFORDGAWOLVES.

But here's something else.

We've got two Greek kids who play pretty good football for the local high school, and they're staying home to play. Older Brother played in the Army All-American game and has already enrolled at Purdue. And Smelly thinks that Younger Brother might be even better. He's likely to follow his brother.

The future looks bright for the Boilermakers, even if we admit that the recent past has been rather dim.

Coach Brohm and the AD Bobinski have got the football program turned in the right direction after years of futility with Coaches Hope and Hazell when Coach Tiller retired. 

It points mostly to the decision making by now retired predecessor AD Morgan Burke who meant well but seemingly focused on other sports. (Swimming, diving, volleyball, etc) And handing out ridiculous extensions like Halloween candy to head coaches in football and women’s basketball.

Its really a small school in terms of number of sports and budget, but this is one serious culture steeped in blue collar work ethic and I’m hoping that the trend continues. 

Basketball was a three point shot from knocking off eventual Champs. WBB is looking to make run this season and recruits are coming in in that storied program ( a top 60 recruit for 2020 ) MBB are there... no doubt. 

Regards,

BGW

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Purdue might not have the prettiest campus and West Lafayette might not be the best college town for a young person, but each has a lot to offer a talented young man with the right interests.

Maybe he can get rich and have a rewarding career playing football. The odds are against him though, even if he puts the work in. If he's got similar talent for applied science, the odds are that he can have a long, rewarding career if he puts the work in. 

God only knows how a kid who has talent for both finds the time for both. 

Talk to @BUFORDGAWOLVES. He knows a thing or two about it. 

absolutely..and may I mention that the people of Indiana and for that matter the people of the Midwest are absolutely great. happy my mother forced me out of the Northeast for college.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, Mickeybern said:

absolutely..and may I mention that the people of Indiana and for that matter the people of the Midwest are absolutely great. happy my mother forced me out of the Northeast for college.

I agree. I grew up in SoCal but married a Hoosier. She comes from a farming family and a military family, hard-working, salt of the earth types. Good stock. I'm a lucky man. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

the kid will not go to the NFL but what he will get for free is a kick-ass engineering education. Let's be happy for him

Lot of student/athletes are taking the long view on their college choices. Your athletic career while exciting and fun is narrow in the scope of things... only a small percentage make a career at the highest level.

BGW

• Like 4

Purdue is a great school for engineering. It has a few other areas of expertise too, including information and cyber security. Has he specifically said he will be focusing on engineering?

Plenty of people have gone to Purdue and had wonderful experiences, even those not pursuing an engineering degree. Not everyone there becomes an engineer, just as not everyone at Syracuse goes there for a communications degree.

Good for the kid, regardless of his major of choice.

• Like 3