Southern Section D1 final - Mater Dei vs St John Bosco

Bodysurf

25 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Here's a rather interesting stat. SJB has played 5 teams that are still playing football:

St. Xavier, OH (Ohio D1 State Finals)
La Mirada, CA (CIFSS D3 Finals)
Bishop Gorman, NV (Nevada 4A State Finals)
St. Mary's, CA (CIF San Joaquin D1 Finals)
Mater Dei (CIFSS D1 Finals)

There's probably not too many teams that can claim that.

By comparison Mater Dei has played 3 (La Mirada, Edison and SJB), Gorman has played 4 (Cedar Hill, Cocoa, SJB and STA) and IMG has played 3 (Grayson, TCA, Chaminade-Madonna). I know this is highly dependent on the playoff structure and timing for most states, but I still think it's pretty interesting.

Grayson has played 3 (also add IMG)

Hoover (Alabama 7A champ) 

won 36-14 

Ramsay (Alabama 6A champ) 

won 38-6

Deerfield Beach (Florida 8A semis)

won 39-14

23 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

DLS plays like a bunch of robots and has a methodical system that keeps them in any game. It has been this way for 3 decades. On paper the difference in talent between DLS and either MD or SJB is ridiculous. But DLS has a system that will neutralize another team's clear talent advantage. But this year I just don't see DLS being able to hang with MD or Bosco.

From a state with 380,000,000 Commie Dumbocrats! WHY is it, that EVERY FUCKING season, it's the SAME three fucking teams who are in the mix from the supposed GREATEST league in America?

10 hours ago, Nobody said:

Bosco is battle tested but with that comes a toll on their overall health. They are down 3 starting online and two starting dline. Even healthy I'm not sure they can swing with MD.  The Bosco staff has been playing younger players in the mix and using some starters on both sides of the ball to fill holes. Gotta wonder how much is left in the tank.

The first meeting between SJB and MD, the Monarchs were way too jacked up and committed too many unforced penalties. I expect that to be corrected. MD is loaded on both sides of the ball and largely healthy. This just feels like a MD year.

Ill take the tan rested and ready Monarchs in a win.

Let the MNC debate begin!

WHO have they been battle tested BY? They've only played THREE teams worth SHIT, Cent10, Da Bishop All Stars, and Mater Dei!!! And they were pressed by a 5-6 Urge Luther team!!! Try playing three teams, back to back, to back, in the GHSA playoffs, who are ranked in the top twenty five and/or top sixty!

51 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Re-al was missing open receivers all night against Centennial.

18-23 is missing open receivers all night?

His 5 incompletions were:

Q1: Pass down the field on the sideline to Bynum which was well covered by Cen10.
Q1: Pass to McCombs in the flat. The initial handoff was bobbled. Mitchell made a quick throw to McCombs as an outlet. The pass hit him in the hands but was dropped with McCombs being well covered by Cen10.
Q3: Pass to Gilbert downfield. The ball was slightly overthrown. Gilbert dove and it hit him in the hands.
Q3: Pass to Bynum in the endzone. The ball was thrown too a bit too high. Bynum jumped for it and got his fingertips on it. Mitchell was also hit on the play while rolling out. Not exactly the easiest throw in the world to make.
Q3: Pass to Bynum in the endzone. This was probably the worst pass of the night. It was really nowhere near any receiver. It's possible there was some breakdown on the route or some miscommunication. Bynum was also pretty well covered by the Cen10 DB.

I agree that the deep ball is not Mitchell's strong suit with the primary issue of passes being overthrown, but to say he was "missing open receivers all night" is far from accurate. The good news is that arm strength isn't an issue. it's more of an issue of touch which is something that he can work on as he matures as a passer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dntn31 said:

Q1: Pass down the field on the sideline to Bynum which was well covered by Cen10.
Q1: Pass to McCombs in the flat. The initial handoff was bobbled. Mitchell made a quick throw to McCombs as an outlet. The pass hit him in the hands but was dropped with McCombs being well covered by Cen10.
Q3: Pass to Gilbert downfield. The ball was slightly overthrown. Gilbert dove and it hit him in the hands.
Q3: Pass to Bynum in the endzone. The ball was thrown too a bit too high. Bynum jumped for it and got his fingertips on it. Mitchell was also hit on the play while rolling out. Not exactly the easiest throw in the world to make.
Q3: Pass to Bynum in the endzone. This was probably the worst pass of the night. It was really nowhere near any receiver. It's possible there was some breakdown on the route or some miscommunication. Bynum was also pretty well covered by the Cen10 DB.

I agree that the deep ball is not Mitchell's strong suit with the primary issue of passes being overthrown, but to say he was "missing open receivers" all night is far from accurate. The good news is that arm strength isn't an issue. it's more of an issue of touch which is something that he can work on as he matures as a passer.

It's cause RE.........AL is a FUCKING RB PLAYING QB!!!

11 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Grayson has played 3 (also add IMG)

Hoover (Alabama 7A champ) 

Ramsay (Alabama 6A champ) 

Deerfield Beach (Florida 8A semis)

We could have quite a few State Champs beaten this year...

We played both of the Colorado 5A (largest Class) State Championship participants. 6A Glynn Academy handed Pomona their only loss of the season so far, 33-14. Although Pomona suffered a blow losing their starting RB last week in their Semifinal game so thatll hurt in the title game. We did also play Valor Christian, and our 3A team GAC barely lost to them 21-17 on ESPN. Obviously Im rooting for Pomona so we can claim the State Champions only loss of the season.

Etowah GA also beat Spartanburg SC 21-14. Spartanburg has a solid chance of capturing South Carolinas 5A Championship. They play Dorman in the Quarterfinals Friday. And to mention it, 1A Lincoln Co. GA tied Abbeville SC 7-7, Abbeville stands 10-0-1 and the SC 2A favorite.

We still have Deerfield Beach alive in Floridas 8A Semifinals, who fell to Grayson 39-14. They play Southridge.

Coffee GA has a 49-28 win over University Christian FL... UC is playing in Floridas 2A Championship this week... their only other loss a 31-23 contest to Trinity Christian.

Hoover AL, who also fell to Grayson 36-14, plays in ALs 7A State Championship

Ramsay AL, who also fell to Grayson 38-6, plays in ALs 6A State Championship

Our 2A Semifinalist, Callaway, holds a 42-28 win over Handley AL who also plays in Alabamas 4A State Championship.

This does not count teams still playing that we lost to, only the ones we won. Bc theres quite a few of those also... AHP FL, SPP FL , Opelika AL, already said Valor Christian though, Venice FL, Fort Dorchester SC, & so on...

• Like 1

The reason is Caii forces/encourages all the top teams to play each other.    Therefore you don't have 4-5 undefeated teams to have a debate over who's better each yr.

The facts are CC MD SJB are 3 of top 25 teams in the Nation two in the same league all three in the same Division and playoff bracket all within 30 miles from each other.

While DLS is 400 miles north all by their lonesome,  All 4 teams are in the same open bracket for the states North vs south game so its settled on the field every yr and not left up to debate.

Its the same reason as most other top 25 teams in the nation are routinely in the mix. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I agree that the deep ball is not Mitchell's strong suit with the primary issue of passes being overthrown, but to say he was "missing open receivers all night" is far from accurate. The good news is that arm strength isn't an issue. it's more of an issue of touch which is something that he can work on as he matures as a passer.

32 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

18-23, 3 TDs and 0 INTs against a top 15 team in the country is pretty good for a RB.

dntn31 staying cool in the pocket...the Joe Montana of the HSFB boards.;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

We could have quite a few State Champs beaten this year...

We played both of the Colorado 5A (largest Class) State Championship participants. 6A Glynn Academy handed Pomona their only loss of the season so far, 33-14. Although Pomona suffered a blow losing their starting RB last week in their Semifinal game so thatll hurt in the title game. We did also play Valor Christian, and our 3A team GAC barely lost to them 21-17 on ESPN. Obviously Im rooting for Pomona so we can claim the State Champions only loss of the season.

Etowah GA also beat Spartanburg SC 21-14. Spartanburg has a solid chance of capturing South Carolinas 5A Championship. They play Dorman in the Quarterfinals Friday. And to mention it, 1A Lincoln Co. GA tied Abbeville SC 7-7, Abbeville stands 10-0-1 and the SC 2A favorite.

We still have Deerfield Beach alive in Floridas 8A Semifinals, who fell to Grayson 39-14. They play Southridge.

Coffee GA has a 49-28 win over University Christian FL... UC is playing in Floridas 2A Championship this week... their only other loss a 31-23 contest to Trinity Christian.

Hoover AL, who also fell to Grayson 36-14, plays in ALs 7A State Championship

Ramsay AL, who also fell to Grayson 38-6, plays in ALs 6A State Championship

Our 2A Semifinalist, Callaway, holds a 42-28 win over Handley AL who also plays in Alabamas 4A State Championship.

This does not count teams still playing that we lost to, only the ones we won. Bc theres quite a few of those also... AHP FL, SPP FL , Opelika AL, already said Valor Christian though, Venice FL, Fort Dorchester SC, & so on...

Please read reply I sent Atl above minus the moderator part. 

3 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

What does this have to do with SJB vs MD?  Your a moderator now playa.  We expect more. 

I think this post is fine in this thread since it was in response to my earlier post about SJB's schedule. Perhaps my original post was better suited for the beating OOS champs thread since things have tended to stray off topic in the past.

Just now, dntn31 said:

I think this post is fine in this thread since it was in response to my earlier post about SJB's schedule. Perhaps my original post was better suited for the beating OOS champs thread since things have tended to stray off topic in the past.

Back to what I was saying about Re-al, his kind of athleticism is in the class of De'Anthony Thomas and Adoree Jackson. I have seen all three in person and without a question in my mind they have those freakish genetics. And him playing QB is sort of wasting that potential and talent. 

Play to your strengths is what I'm trying to say.

If a team has 4 D-1 WR's and a mediocre RB, why would your game plan be ground and pound when you can just use a spread and throw all over your opponents? Sure, you can win with a ground and pound gameplan, you're just not being smart about your approach and optimizing your resources. That's just how I feel with Re-al.

/convo