Southern Section D1 final - Mater Dei vs St John Bosco

Bodysurf

I will start the thread! Can't wait until Saturday night at Angel Stadium. Trinity League rematch. MD won the 1st game in a close one but it could have gone either way. One can argue that Bosco actually outplayed MD but MD had far superior special teams and a bad pick by Mitchell were the difference. 

I have seen both teams play several times this year and I like MD to take this one. Something like 35-21. MD has an explosive offense but what gets overlooked is their great special teams which they have a massive advantage over Bosco. Also overshadowed by their great offense is the fact that MD plays some serious defense. It should be a great game next Saturday!

DLS plays like a bunch of robots and has a methodical system that keeps them in any game. It has been this way for 3 decades. On paper the difference in talent between DLS and either MD or SJB is ridiculous. But DLS has a system that will neutralize another team's clear talent advantage. But this year I just don't see DLS being able to hang with MD or Bosco.

• Like 2

Loyola, Mountain Point, Center Grove and Colerain all have a message for MD... They are going to have to reach very deep in an effort to make a strong statement for a #1 national ranking. Without that kind of an effort, odds are this goes SJB's way. Its hard to beat a great team twice in the same season.

• Like 1

Bosco is battle tested but with that comes a toll on their overall health. They are down 3 starting online and two starting dline. Even healthy I'm not sure they can swing with MD.  The Bosco staff has been playing younger players in the mix and using some starters on both sides of the ball to fill holes. Gotta wonder how much is left in the tank.

The first meeting between SJB and MD, the Monarchs were way too jacked up and committed too many unforced penalties. I expect that to be corrected. MD is loaded on both sides of the ball and largely healthy. This just feels like a MD year.

Ill take the tan rested and ready Monarchs in a win.

Let the MNC debate begin!

This is our year.  We have a once in a generation team.  We are the Real #1 team.  Everyone refuses to give us our due 

DLS is in for a Red Reckoning.   SJB is just roadkill (again) in our way.

our student body is wearing shirts that say...

Beat SJB (on the front)

Again (on the back)

Our kids are bored with SJB.  At least Cen10 has the will to fight back 

35 minutes ago, The Stache said:

This is our year.  We have a once in a generation team.  We are the Real #1 team.  Everyone refuses to give us our due 

DLS is in for a Red Reckoning.   SJB is just roadkill (again) in our way.

our student body is wearing shirts that say...

Beat SJB (on the front)

Again (on the back)

Our kids are bored with SJB.  At least Cen10 has the will to fight back 

I'm hoping for MD to win and I think they will. But I can assure they are not 'bored' with Bosco since they were fortunate to beat them the first time in a game that could have gone either way. If they are bored then they will be watching Bosco play DLS instead of playing DLS themselves.

De La Salle has been very fortune to have Socal keep feeding them Centennial, an offensive pass happy machine that doesn't play or care about defense. Teams that don't play defense and aren't physical match up poorly with DLS.

Whether it's Mater Dei or SJB, DLS will not have have it's usual control at the LOS during the SBG because MD and SJB are two teams that play very good physical defense unlike CC, a team they have been playing for the SBG for many years.

Still, DLS is DLS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

De La Salle has been very fortune to have Socal keep feeding them Centennial, an offensive pass happy machine that doesn't play or care about defense. Teams that don't play defense and aren't physical match up poorly with DLS.

Whether it's Mater Dei or SJB, DLS will not have have it's usual control at the LOS during the SBG because MD and SJB are two teams that play very good physical defense unlike CC, a team they have been playing for the SBG for many years.

Still, DLS is DLS.

This is so true. DLS is a terrible matchup for Cen10. SJB/MD takes DLS by 2 TDs in the SBG this year.

4 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I'm hoping for MD to win and I think they will. But I can assure they are not 'bored' with Bosco since they were fortunate to beat them the first time in a game that could have gone either way. If they are bored then they will be watching Bosco play DLS instead of playing DLS themselves.

I agree with you. I think they will win as well but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they are going to have to be razor focused. Bosco has tons of depth so I'm not sure the injuries will be a huge factor.

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

Still, DLS is DLS.

DLS doesn't match up with all 3 of those teams. As CC defense goes i agree with you except last year they played the best I have ever seen them-at least in the Open. Better than Burfict led team in 08' i think.  MD and SJB just has too much size, speed and athletes all over the field. Even if this wasn't a down year for DLS they don't have a shot because throwing a couple of screen passes or the fool you once " y pop" play

A note to So. Cal - don't beat DLS too bad because 17 and 18 will be back to business for the Spartans.

I do hope MD gets it done this year. The Stache deserves it. ☺

I'm rooting for SJB to take the championship.   I certainly respect MD and what they have.   I'm just so impressed with how SJB has worked hard and improved offensively as the year has progressed.  Offensive execution was pretty ugly at the start of the year.   ReAl continues to get better.   And they've fought through an abnormal level of injuries on both sides of the line.  

They do appear to be peaking at the right time, even with sophomores playing the lines.   There were virtually no penalties called in the CC game against the oline.  

It's going to be a tough game to win.  And I agree with an earlier post.  The defensive scheme used in the first game will need to be tweaked as it won't have the same effectiveness a second time.  

• Like 1

Negro and his staff were able to add in a defensive wrinkle once. I have faith that they can add another to keep MD off balance. One thing is clear, MD won't be able to just out-athlete the Braves like they have everyone else they've played. SJB has arguably more depth and speed. It's going to come down to schemes/adjustments, penalties, turnovers and special teams. Out of those four things, I only give MD the edge on special teams and I like SJB's chances in the others.

One other thing to consider is the turf they will be playing on at Angel Stadium. In years past, the turf at Angel Stadium has been horrendous by the time the D1 game is played (it's always the last game to be played in a 2 day stretch of games played there).

• Like 1

Re-al was missing open receivers all night against Centennial, and their offensive playbook has been limited (compared to past years) because he can't make the big throws. If SJB had a better QB, I'm not kidding when I say this I believe SJB could be undefeated right now. He had 2-3 crucial turnovers against Gorman and MD and could not keep up with those elite teams. I just think he's a RB playing QB. His future is in playing a skilled position imho. 

Here's a rather interesting stat. SJB has played 5 teams that are still playing football:

St. Xavier, OH (Ohio D1 State Finals)
La Mirada, CA (CIFSS D3 Finals)
Bishop Gorman, NV (Nevada 4A State Finals)
St. Mary's, CA (CIF San Joaquin D1 Finals)
Mater Dei (CIFSS D1 Finals)

There's probably not too many teams that can claim that.

By comparison Mater Dei has played 3 (La Mirada, Edison and SJB), Gorman has played 4 (Cedar Hill, Cocoa, SJB and STA) and IMG has played 3 (Grayson, TCA, Chaminade-Madonna). I know this is highly dependent on the playoff structure and timing for most states, but I still think it's pretty interesting.

• Like 2