New DeMatha Head Coach

BigDrop

1 hour ago, Oldballcoach said:

Someone mentioned that SFA principal is on DeMathas board of directors  is how this came about

I’m not sure if he’s on the board at DM, but SFA’s principle is a DM alum. This is going to be a crazy off season. Does Deno come back to DM from SJC as the DC? What happens to the players left at SFA? A Corum/Lloyd/Bangura backfield at DM would be very tough to stop.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 12:40 PM, NicholasMalibu said:

It’s been a crazy year...My best shot, not easy...

1. Gonzaga - have to give it them. They showed up when it mattered and that means something.

2. SJC - most talented and best wins 

3. DM - Could of been #1 without the GZ Hail Mary.

4. SFA - I really don’t think they have the QB(he’s young) play to hang with DM or SJC.

5. GC - Lost QB1 and fell hard to DM at the end of the season. They’ll be back. 

My opinion looking at results and my very flawed eye test.

1.  SJC  

2.  SFA

3. DM

4. Gonzaga

5. GC

Just now, NicholasMalibu said:

Are you ranking on talent or accomplishment? 

I don’t see any use in ranking on talent after the season. 

Just based on who I'd take if they were to play right now.   There's definitely not a large separation either way and SFA is a complete guess.   Gonzaga has a better shot to beat 1 and 2 than DM IMO, but I think DM beats Zaga more times than not.   
Zaga won state though and deserve their spot.   Would you pick em to beat SJC if they played again though?

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Just based on who I'd take if they were to play right now.   There's definitely not a large separation either way and SFA is a complete guess.   Gonzaga has a better shot to beat 1 and 2 than DM IMO, but I think DM beats Zaga more times than not.   
Zaga won state though and deserve their spot.   Would you pick em to beat SJC if they played again though?

I wouldn’t pick GZ to beat SJC if they played again. It’s just my opinion,  but I can’t rank teams for potential after the season. GZ won the WCAC championship. SJC didn’t make the final. DM lost on a Hail Mary. It’s tough to rank them, so nothing would really look “ridiculous” to me at this point with that top 4. I know Good Counsel is #5. SFA is a wildcard. Next year should be more of a soap opera with today’s news from DeMatha. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Once upon a time (late ‘90’s) Bruce Rollinson was willing to come to DC to play DeMatha.  Bill McGregor was interested.

GardenStateBaller, is there a way?

There have been some historic basketball games between Mater Dei and DeMatha over the decades with national championship implications(see article below). I’d like to see a football game at some point. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/23/sports/meeting-of-scholastic-giants.html

21 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

There have been some historic basketball games between Mater Dei and DeMatha over the decades with national championship implications(see article below). I’d like to see a football game at some point. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/23/sports/meeting-of-scholastic-giants.html

I saw the game at TA.  From memory I thought it was snow rather than freezing rain but I also remember serious traffic jams all over the DC area that night.  MD also brought their cheerleaders and several hundred fans. That was early in Gary MacKnight’s reign.

When DeLaSalle was well into their 151 game streak Bill was willing to play them.  DM was strong then (I still think DeMatha’s‘98 team was the best ever) and the proposal was an after season game where DM would travel to CA to play DLS. It didn’t come off because the state of CA wouldn’t sanction an after season game.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I saw the game at TA.  From memory I thought it was snow rather than freezing rain but I also remember serious traffic jams all over the DC area that night.  MD also brought their cheerleaders and several hundred fans. That was early in Gary MacKnight’s reign.

When DeLaSalle was well into their 151 game streak Bill was willing to play them.  DM was strong then (I still think DeMatha’s‘98 team was the best ever) and the proposal was an after season game where DM would travel to CA to play DLS. It didn’t come off because the state of CA wouldn’t sanction an after season game.

So why did they not play the next year?

1 hour ago, hardhit1 said:

1 hour ago, hardhit1 said:

Just “feelers” on my part-needed a promoter like GSB to take it over. DLS, I believe, was different-there was funding and, I believe a promoter, but the state ended it.  DeMatha had OOS games set up then that didn’t happen.  Kansas City Rockhurst in 2001 was arranged and a full go.  Cancelled by 9/11.  When North Hills was on top in the ‘90’s there was to be a game in Three Rivers.  I believe there were other complications on this one. Bill was willing to play anyone-he loved games like this.  But this was at a time when OOS games were a rarity.  DeMatha played Brockton in ‘90 and ‘91 when Brockton was top five in the U.S., (won), Chambersburg, PA who were preseason #1 in PA (won).

Another game that should have happened was Mike Smith’s Hampton with Ronald Curry.  I met Mike Smith in ‘96, Curry’s jr year.  He wanted to play DM but there was no one to put it together then.

There is a very real need and calling for GSB. Deep appreciation for his efforts and talent to do this.

• Thanks 1