Excuse Thread - December 1

Sammyswordsman

10 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

The 06 Spartans were actually a very good team early and midway through the season. They, like a lot of other teams around country ( Trinity,  STA,  SJC this season ) got hit with the injuries and weren't the same team like they were earlier. But as discussed in other threads, it really only matters where you are at the end and how you finish. No one else remembers the rest. 

‘06 was a couple of years before I started following but, besides following ‘04/‘05, and having the Canyon blemishbin record, that DLS team did not have a single kid that signed a BCS LOI on campus (the next kid that signed with a BCS program LOI day was Dylan Wynn, class of ‘11) so I do know a bit about the “talent” on that team. I would also say that they didn’t play anyone early that would have tested a good team — they did playbin Herbie, but that Elder team was one of worst DLS OOS opponents (believe they finished with losing record)

19 hours ago, On2whls said:

Good spin.  This has worked out well for DLS and Folsom. DLS doesn’t have to worry about the threat of losing to Folsom since there isn’t another NorCal team that is even close, and Folsom gets to beat up on teams that half the SS bracket would also beat.

What is your issue?

Don’t like Folsom?  I don’t think you have an issue with DLS?

are you just currently a bit bitter that CC maybbe a top 10 team in the country but has their season end while there are still 100 CA teams playing?

I’m sincerely curious  what is driving angst 

20 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree that CC is #2 but also with @Bodysurf that Folsom is marginal top 5. Here is how I would rank them:

1. DLS- 7 Straight Open Games, 4 Titles- Led to the creation of "Super Teams" in So Cal.

2. CC-  Public School Won Back to Back Pac 5 titles leading to the creation of "Super Teams" In So Cal. 2 x Open Runner up to DLS. Plays in the D1 Finals or Semifinal each year which is the Top playoff Bracket in CA.

3. SJB- Hired Negro in 2010, Recruited LBP Best Players and others Creating the First "Super Team" built to compete with CC in the Southern Section and DLS in SBG. Won 2 Open Titles

4. MD- Followed SJB and Became a Super Team with Great Coaching and took down the ultimate Super Team IMG.- Won 1 Open Title Playing for 2nd in a row.

5. Folsom- Asked CIF to get rid of the Open Regional because "It Isn't Fair that the 2nd Best Team in Nor Cal Has to Play DLS to go to a Bowl game." This Created the "Folsom Rule" so they could play in lower level bowl games rather then have to beat the best team in your region to advance. CIF got rid of the Open Play In Game. Folsom has won 3 Lower Lever SBG but still has yet to beat a Top CA Team on the Field and is 0-3 vs DLS losing 108-38.

All 5 of these teams created change in the CA HSFB landscape in the last 10 years, none more then DLS and CC by their play on the field. SJB and MD have ushered in the "New Era" positive or negative. And Foslom's contribution is what it is, I don't know how you compare it to those 4 TOP Teams....

Well, one, you agreed with me

you said Folsom barely qualifies without offering an alternative — let me disagree and say that you didn’t offer an alternative because they easily qualify — who’s next?  Mission Viejo?  Central Catholic Modesto? Oaks Christian?  Westlake?  Hell, it’s probably Servite.  Point being, Folsom is EASILY a top 5 CA team last decade. 

Applying the Folsom rule as part of their evaluation is stupid also — shall we penalize the whole SS for adding a DLS bye week?  A). Misplaced and b) irrelevant regardless 

and, the only way you can possibly put MAter Dei over them is to judge them by their single best team, in which case, put them #1;  ditto to a lesser extent SJB;  CC has better longevity but a way worse record in biggest games.  

I’ll take the top 5 which you conceded and all that I claimed but your spin seems very homerish (the “folsom” rule inclusion diminishes your point imho)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

FIFY- Seems Like you left out A lot of Relevant Facts... Jeeze Pop's, you are really Reaching here.... :) 

I would say though that Folsom is the #1 Paper Tiger in CA!....

This is your response right before you agreed with me that they belong in that group?

I’m confused 

would you rather I just join all the cool kids that bash them as sport?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldmember said:

California had zero quality wins and Pops was merely trying to fish for respect simple because they lost one game "close" (although 14 isn't exactly close) to DLS.

Gorman lost by 14 also. I'm not saying Cal was better than Gorman though. Seeing Cal up close and in person twice against the Spartans, and seeing Servite in person also,  I can honestly say Cal was an equal to Servite. Put it this way, it would have been a hell of a game. Ca had strengths that Servite didn't have, mainly team speed. 

26 minutes ago, Pops said:

‘06 was a couple of years before I started following but, besides following ‘04/‘05, and having the Canyon blemishbin record, that DLS team did not have a single kid that signed a BCS LOI on campus (the next kid that signed with a BCS program LOI day was Dylan Wynn, class of ‘11) so I do know a bit about the “talent” on that team. I would also say that they didn’t play anyone early that would have tested a good team — they did playbin Herbie, but that Elder team was one of worst DLS OOS opponents (believe they finished with losing record)

They had a really good O-line, but everyone of them developed knee problems, They weren't the same team at the end. I remember one of the DLS guys telling me that after the game with Canyon,  coach Johnson from MV was asking the DLS coaches " What happened " ? He noticed what everyone who followed DLS  noticed . One of the few times they didn't finish a season strong

20 hours ago, Goldmember said:

Exactly.

They don't want it to change.

DLS gets a walk to the Open game and Folsom gets to whack some tier 2 team.

Then Pops can talk about NorCal besting SoCal.

All I know is that between the power brokers in the Southern Section, Folsom, and DLS, DLS is the only party that wanted to keep those regional games 

SS just wanted their top section champ proclaimed #1 since they were missing more often than not when it wasn’t automatic.  They also wanted a DLS bye week 

Folsom wanted to play in SBGs

DLS didn’t want the bye week and loved having two nationally relevant games at end — DLS and folsom both finished top 5 in country in 2014, the first year of this rule — CIF eliminated basically in-season what would have been the best intra Norcal game ever 

5 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

They had a really good O-line, but everyone of them developed knee problems, They weren't the same team at the end. I remember one of the DLS guys telling me that after the game with Canyon,  coach Johnson from MV was asking the DLS coaches " What happened " ? He noticed what everyone who followed DLS  noticed . One of the few times they didn't finish a season strong

The other thing I heard about that game is that it was first ever SBG and DLS treated it a bit like a college bowl game, just celebrating their section championship (which had always been THE GOAL).  coaches looked themselves in eyes afterward and realized they messed up and started taking a different approach — beat a CC team the next year that had something like a 15 to 2 D1 advantage — DLS gonna need that sort of effort vs the Academy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Gorman lost by 14 also. I'm not saying Cal was better than Gorman though. Seeing Cal up close and in person twice against the Spartans, and seeing Servite in person also,  I can honestly say Cal was an equal to Servite. Put it this way, it would have been a hell of a game. Ca had strengths that Servite didn't have, mainly team speed. 

LOL.  Watches Servite play in 6 inches of mud, then questions their team speed. 

stupid.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

The other thing I heard about that game is that it was first ever SBG and DLS treated it a bit like a college bowl game, just celebrating their section championship (which had always been THE GOAL).  coaches looked themselves in eyes afterward and realized they messed up and started taking a different approach — beat a CC team the next year that had something like a 15 to 2 D1 advantage — DLS gonna need that sort of effort vs the Academy

rewrite history.png

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

All I know is that between the power brokers in the Southern Section, Folsom, and DLS, DLS is the only party that wanted to keep those regional games 

SS just wanted their top section champ proclaimed #1 since they were missing more often than not when it wasn’t automatic.  They also wanted a DLS bye week 

Folsom wanted to play in SBGs

DLS didn’t want the bye week and loved having two nationally relevant games at end — DLS and folsom both finished top 5 in country in 2014, the first year of this rule — CIF eliminated basically in-season what would have been the best intra Norcal game ever 

This is all nice background but the bottom line is that everybody in NorCal has benefited from this new system.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Pops said:

Boy, didn't the spartans look bad early on ?  They looked sluggish and slow. Both lines were bad. Before last night's game they had played one game in six weeks, and it showed. It's a shame what the fires did to limit the betterment of the team. This team had a chance to get to the other level In my opinion.

18 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

BG lost by 14 after DLS took a knee inside the BG 10 a few times at the end 

CAl lost by 14 after appearing to have successfully recovered an onside kick in DLS territory, down 6 with two minutes left (they were penalized on play and DLS drove for last minute TD and 2 point conversion).  

Canes knows this but is an advocate of measuring teams by how many quarters they win so always brings up halftime scores (didnyou onow sta actually beat MC 3 quarters to 1, instead of losing by 16)

1 minute ago, CaliNorth said:

Boy, didn't the spartans look bad early on ?  They looked sluggish and slow. Both lines were bad. Before last night's game they had played one game in six weeks, and it showed. It's a shame what the fires did to limit the betterment of the team. This team had a chance to get to the other level In my opinion.

I was going to repost to the Excuse Thread.....then I realized it was already in the Excuse Thread.  LOL

4 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

California barely had a single top 1000 win.

A). They did 

b). SFA actually doesn’t have any top 2,000 wins and is top 10 in country;  JC won an MNC in ‘12 with a less impressive resume

c). They killed their schedule — kinda like STa this year — lose to the only good team they play but beat everyone else convincingly

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

The other thing I heard about that game is that it was first ever SBG and DLS treated it a bit like a college bowl game, just celebrating their section championship (which had always been THE GOAL).

This is such a bullshit excuse.

Unless you're telling us that De La Salle's coaches are the biggest buffoons on Earth, this is a total sham and a ass-covering narrative.

So they win 151 games in a row and hear years of criticism about not playing elite SoCal teams.

Then, in the first year of a state bowl system, they have a chance to vindicate a national championship season with a win over a SoCal team and they don't take it seriously because they're busy "celebrating" an NCS title win over Foothill?

This is embarrassing even for your ass-kissing homerific self.

3 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

And has gone 7-5 all-time in the bowls.

Hmm.

7 firsts and 5 2nds in all of CA greatly exceeds 12 consecutive FL 7A championships

— which you don't have 

— heck, you’re only working on a 7-year streak of winning your district, which is inferior to DLS’s league/ typical Norcal opponents